Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024-02-22 Major Fail when Upgrading the Wiki

Could you maybe rename this thread to something less vague?
I fear what people's reaction would be to an update thread titled "2024-02-22 Major Fuck Up". Maybe just rename it to "2024-02-22 Wiki Data Loss" or something.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

If you want files of data just ask.

Renamed. Still feel like punishing myself.

(02-23-2024, 01:12 AM)Haxus Wrote: I got the same error. Push the skip button and you will login with your old password.
Unfortunately it seemed my old password no longer worked, so I reset it and and got a temporary one

That temp password works, but because it's a temporary, it forces me to change it in order to login, and I can't change it due to the error

Googled the db error and apparently you need to run a script called Update.php, apparently not doing that can cause the error
What even

Thank you. I was going to research the problem in the morning. I will check out that update script.

For reference, the mediawiki manual (here and here) mentions it's a mandatory step of upgrades:

Quote:You should run update.php after each upgrade of MediaWiki or after the update or install of an extension that requires a schema update.

Also mentions that there's also a GUI-based web updater you can use directly from the wiki, if you find it easier: https://hazeron.com/mediawiki-1.41.0/mw-.../index.php
What even

The gui based updater is the one I ran at each step/version along the way. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it destroyed the database, requiring an intermediate version to progress through the updates. It was a slow process.

So having already run the upgrade I will have to find another solution.

I ran the update.php script. It ran without errors. It did not solve the problem. I'll keep looking for an answer.

Wiki is working properly now. User passwords can be changed without a database error.

A table 'bot_passwords' was missing from the database. Through all their updating they never managed to create it in my old data. I think that table did not exist in the old version we were using.

Nightly backups of the wiki and forum databases did their work last night.

I forgot to set those up after the server change two years ago. This contributed to my failure yesterday. I thought they were working but alas.

The coup de grace was that the backup I did just before the upgrade was no good for a stupid reason I will not elaborate.

On to the forum upgrade. There are plenty of backups of that database to avoid a repeat of yesterday.