Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024-02-22 Major Fail when Upgrading the Wiki

While upgrading the wiki software today I screwed up badly.

I broke the wiki database and the only good backup was from two years ago.

I am very pissed. I made backups before I started that turned out to be bad. Anything else I say is going to sound like an excuse.

At this point I can only apologize. There is no undoing the damage. I am truly sorry.

Next is the forum. I have lots of good backups of that database so no worries there.

Confused

The wiki went from version 1.23 or so to 1.41, the latest version. It had to be upgraded through three intermediate versions but it made it, albeit badly injured.

It's still giving me a 404 when I try to visit it, have you not directed to it in apache yet?

Also yeah the MediaWiki manual said you'd first have to upgrade to 1.35 and then to 1.41, something about only supporting the last two LTS releases

Thanks for the heads up on the data loss, sometimes things go wrong so it's not a huge deal, just good that it's finally up to date
What even

I just now fixed the link..

BTW, the wiki now requires a longer password. It tries to let you change it when you log in but that didn't work for me. I got a db error. Instead I skipped the password change and it accepted my old password.

I had to upgrade to v1.30.2, then to v1.35.14, then to v1.38.7, and finally to v1.41.0 for it to go without errors.

From now on I will keep it up to date at least every other year when I upgrade the operating systems to the latest Ubuntu LTS release.

Thank you!

Btw, I can't login as my pass pre-upgrade no longer works so I had to reset it, but I can't reset it due to the db error:
[e636f44e6f7ba87cc2315ea3] 2024-02-23 00:38:42: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"
What even

I got the same error. Push the skip button and you will login with your old password.

I also had no trouble creating a new account.

Data loss is always sad. But it could be worse.
There are some internet archive copies of some pages, so maybe we can save some of the more worked on guide pages. We'll go over these to see if anything useful was saved there.

This might give me the incentive to finally automate the whole manufacturing recipe system on the wiki. Many other wikis simply has a data source file that it uses to generate all recipe tables across the wiki. I'll have to read up on if this will require any special plugins.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(02-23-2024, 12:33 AM)Haxus Wrote: I got a db error.

The wiki has given some database errors every so often for years. But I don't know enough about MediaWiki to say what they were about.

I'll check if I can login tomorrow or this weekend. I need sleep right now... 2AM and work in the morning.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo