Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024-02-29 Helicopter Bugs, Lighting Bugs, Prone Movement, Falling Damage

(03-02-2024, 01:01 AM)Haxus Wrote: When I do reptiles I will add appropriate eyes. Likewise with other creatures.

The pressing question is, Haxus, in some way from the entire Discord community, have you already started working on TCP/IP-based multiplayer? Or do we have to wait for bug fixes for now, and if so, when do you plan to do it?

I am certainly not working on gen4 creature DNA at present. That is a big job that I would like to tackle some day but it is not a high priority.

I have a short list of minor bugs I noticed while play testing recently. I will likely fix most or all of those next.

Then I intend to resume working on the NPC emperor. It is currently in the stone age, learning some basics of survival.

After that the sky is the limit. Multiplayer would be fun. The original plan for the game was to be multiplayer. MMO is out of the question. The final result will likely support only a few players.

A lot of the ground work has already been laid for TCP/IP multiplayer. That is how the servers communicated with clients. It isn't a huge job to pull the pieces together into a player-hosted multiplayer game. It isn't a small job either. A lot of testing will be needed that involves other people.

The end result benefits that subset of all players who want to play a multiplayer game.

Completion of the NPC emperor can be done by me alone. The end result benefits all players of the game.

(03-02-2024, 05:51 PM)Haxus Wrote: A lot of the ground work has already been laid for TCP/IP multiplayer. That is how the servers communicated with clients. It isn't a huge job to pull the pieces together into a player-hosted multiplayer game. It isn't a small job either. A lot of testing will be needed that involves other people.

The end result benefits that subset of all players who want to play a multiplayer game.

Completion of the NPC emperor can be done by me alone. The end result benefits all players of the game.

Why do you think that multiplayer will not be interesting for the vast majority of players? I have played many similar games, and playing with friends/other players has always been an unforgettable experience. I really think that you should finish the multiplayer first, because you have almost everything ready. A lot of players will be happy, it will give a new breath to Hazeron Starship, and while all players will be passionate about playing multiplayer, you will be able to work serenely and at your own pace on NPC Empires. Of course, you know better where to start, but I actively communicate with players in the general discord community, and in fact, all active players are waiting for multiplayer. Please listen to the players, because we are not asking you to change the game, or anything complicated, pay attention to what the players are currently prioritizing. And yes, we agree that the era of MMO has stopped, and we are not against this evolution of the game, there is nothing wrong, there will be private player servers in Hazeron, in some way it is even better if the players have admin functionality, it will bring new ideas and balance. I wish you success!

P.S. How about we do a vote so that players can choose between NPC Empires and Multiplayer? This will be more honest, and will give a clear idea of what the players want to see first.

To be honest, I'm personally much more interested and excited for any form of MP than any form of NPC/AI empires, I think the game shines with other players in the universe, especially since a lot of its systems are specifically designed for it

I think the reason I prefer MP is because it gives effectively infinite content and engagement, players can always be unpredictable, compared to an NPC which can become a "Already seen everything it can do, am bored now" kinda thing

Ultimately only you know how big of an effort it would be Haxus, we've been assuming that the groundwork for client-server comms already existing meant MP would be a quick and easy job, but it is true that other testers will be needed for it which complicates things a lot
What even

Would you be willing to just sell off rights the MMO game and source code I could make an offer

I didn’t say multiplayer was uninteresting.

I said it only benefits a subset of all users and it requires a lot of testing involving other people.

The NPC emperor benefits all users and I don’t need other people to get it done.

Either one is just a matter of time.

I would sell the rights to this game and all of its source code.

Make me an offer.

How about $20,000 (USD) for assignment of copyright for Shores of Hazeron and access to copies of the source files

I cannot offer as high as Quake, but I would be willing to purchase the source code for $2000. I hopefully won't insult you with this offer, but it is what I can afford for a game that I would primarily buying to put into open source. 

I honestly think you could do something similar. You could charge a nominal fee or even make it free to access the code and develop Hazeron. Just license the game in a way that if someone tried to make a profit from future sales then they would need to pay a royalty fee to you. This would be the best of both worlds, people could add to Hazeron as a hobby, but anyone attempting to make a profit would have to pay it's original creator. 

Something to consider.