Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024-01-11 Stories, Henges, Particle Harvester, Clothing

It seems close-up rendering of all rings is a bit buggy still, see here (I was trying to get an image for the wiki)
[Image: 7scuMHH.png]

It's fine further away
What even

Unfortunately the ring is drawn as a single object. The solution is to break it into multiple parts. I will do that.

Snowed in on a Saturday. What does a person do but work on rings and snow?

Ring Rendering
Rings around planets suffer from a number of rendering problems. 
  • Rings overlap the planet incorrectly as you approach the planet from a distance. They look correct up to a point then suddenly they overlap the planet completely, incorrectly, where the back side of the ring is in front of the planet instead of behind it.
  • Rings are clipped by the atmosphere incorrectly when you are close to the planet. This is seen as a ring seeming to disappear as it passes behind the transparent layers of the atmosphere.
All of these stem from the fact that the ring is rendered as a single object.

Today I bit it off and did the work to split up the ring model into multiple pieces that are individually rendered. This appears to have done the trick.

Grass in Snow
The grass plants should be removed from areas of snow. Shrubs and trees can stay. This would help the appearance of snow coverage.

Done.

Snow Sound
When walking in a forest with snow on the ground, I hear forest noise instead of snow noise. This seems wrong.

Fixed. Snow now takes precedence over foliage.

Snow Transition
The drop off of snow density going from solid snow to areas without snow is linear. This would be prettier if a cosine interpolation was applied.

Done.

Rings look perfect now, thank you!
What even

Smile