Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter Taxi Issues

Since my Gulliver class spaceship had a helicopter in its vehicle bay, I decided it would be cool to try driving it out of the vehicle bay from orbit. Sadly it does not seem like taxi works outside of the atmosphere, likely for the same reasons it can't fly either. I would have assumed that I could use its taxi even in no atmosphere or at least while inside my spaceship's hangar, since taxi is just using the wheels to drive.

After landing my Gulliver class spaceship on the planet instead, I attempted the taxi the helicopter out of the spaceship. Once it got out of the hangar it started gliding around, even without any upward thrust at all. I could almost fly the helicopter like a airplane for a bit just by using its taxi while in air.

I guess taxi isn't quite implemented as would be expected of a real life airplane. Would be nice if it functioned more like a ground vehicle when using taxi. I guess one way to implement it easily would be to have it toggle between acting like a ground vehicle and acting like a aircraft. Then you could also just have it use the SUV/motorbike controls while in "taxi mode".

If taxi gets fixed a bit, it might be useful to add it to other vehicles too. Maybe the space rocket could use a "taxi mode", have to move it down on its belly and use landing gear to drive it around. Transforming a vehicle between two modes like this would be really interesting for when we get the vehicle designer too, but it would maybe add some unwanted complexity.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo