Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Street's List of Probably Bad Ideas

Quote:This is already possible while you are online on the ship. And given discussion we has on Discord and in-game I know you don't mean that. What you are asking for is for officered ships to fly through unexplored space without an avatar onboard.

As it was explained in-game by Haxus himself the other day. This won't happen, ever.
If officers/AI can travel through unexplored space without an online avatar onboard, all empires with make countless ships just exploring and generating countless systems for no reason.

Imagine an one-man empire building a thousand ships and send them all on automatic exploration missions throughout the whole universe. Now imagine a thousand one-man empires doing it. The servers would litterally catch fire.

As a reference, Haxus has said in the past that an officer cause the same amount of server load as a player.

I mean, if an empire has so many habitable worlds that they can have that many officers, they probably aren't a one-man empire and likely have enough players that they could do this with the way unexplored space already works.

That aside, I'm not even asking for automated exploration here. I'm just asking for the ability to not have to be logged in. As far as I'm aware, AI cannot take the Officer berth, unless it's a demiavatar. So, what if a ship just has to have an avatar in the Captain berth, with the last known location being on the ship? I'm not even asking for a ship in warp to 'explore' every system it passes, I just want to have an eight hour warp take eight hours, not weeks.

Quote:Destroying worlds or even whole solar systems is a bad idea. I mean one thing is having to worry about being invaded at any time by a fleet of massive ships that you can do nothing but throw sticks and stones at, but having an enemy that can just blow you out of the game in one bit with no work on their part is just boring and stupid.

Also in a game with infinite resources, nothing is expensive. The only factor is time and amount of industry you have the will to build. The biggest ships can take around 30 days (or more?) to construct, if a planet/star-killer was to be expensive it would have to take several months of ACTIVE work to construct.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It should be a thing that an entire multi-empire alliance would have to dedicate weeks, even months towards. It should require so much time and resources to produce that it can't be mass-produced, and even then, there should be a limit on how many can be built in each galaxy. At this exact moment, I don't know how exactly this would be done, but that's a forum is for - discussion. I'm looking for people to ask questions and provide insight.

Quote:
Quote:- The ability to properly access and modify the mission orders of ships in other systems/sectors
This isn't too bad of an idea, but low priority since we do have a method of doing it already.
We could have a mission creation editor that doesn't require you to be on a ship, but a lot of mission orders require that you are on board the ships, such as interacting with sensor contacts, specifying celestial bodies, interstellar travel destinations, and so on. So it wouldn't be as useful as being on the ship anyway.

My main problem with how it currently works is, when you're on the ship, and you add an order to go to another system, any following orbit/harvest/etc. orders will list planets from that system, instead of the one you - and the ship - are currently in. If you add orders over comms, any location-based missions can only designate locations within the system you are currently in, regardless of where the ship is, or is going.

Quote:By the way, as far as I know you can get both a fleet and a company officer from the same habitable world.

Last week I tried to load an officer onto a company ship while my Fleet officer was off doing harvester missions. In response, I got a message from the terminal saying the officer from this planet had already been deployed.
Otherwise, I now see the issues with this idea, and I mostly agree.

Quote:I did suggest O'Neill Cylinders a while back, and others have suggested everything else many times over. Maybe some day.

But as Anr mentioned, there isn't much purpose to them, apart from the awe.

A Dyson sphere would give you the ability to build one power-generating station, and link it to numerous receivers in the system/sector/whatever the best range would be. While the Dyson sphere itself would be expensive (both resource-wise, and time-wise) to produce, the receiving stations would work similar to airports, but they draw power from the Dyson sphere. This would mean you could just plop one down at a new colony, and it would give power to the colony without having a worker running some form of generator at said colony.

An artificial world would also take lots of work to build, and would basically allow you to put a habitable world in a system that did not originally have one. When building one, whatever player 'places' it should be able to set the planet's diameter (with limits), and would require use of a Genesis Device to populate the world with plants and animals.

It should be able to produce renewable resources, like food, plant fiber, logs etc. at a comparable Q to that of the average used in construction of the planet. Other resources like Ore, Oil, Natural Gas, etc. should not be available on the planet unless it was generated by the game (like a ringworld) instead of created by a player, as a pre-existing artificial planet could have been around long enough for these materials to become apparent.

Artificial planets would also be easily identifiable from certain characteristics. A few ideas would be perhaps a soccer-ball like shape (a 'sphere' made from connected hexagonal plates), potentially meaning the artificial planet is hollow (Maybe with a stargate inside?), or perhaps just massive metal cones periodically spaced around the planet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Street's List of Probably Bad Ideas - by StreetCaptain - 02-06-2019, 10:13 PM