Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2018-11-02 Street Light Tweaks, Crash, Critical Landscape Bug

The bug was caused by a collection of objects that was serializing its count using a byte. Once the count exceeded 255, it rolled over and only stored/transmitted the rollover amount. The collection contains all geological features plus bomb craters, roads and landscapers. The 8 bit count used to be sufficient because old style roads are not stored in that collection. Bomb craters are safely limited by throwing away the old ones when the max craters is reached, somewhere around 50 I think. I overlooked it when I put the new style roads in there.

You got lucky because you must have deleted some roads and/or landscapers today. In the backup from last night, your world only had two mesas and a chasm. It lost all your roads and landscapers plus two rivers. If the servers had restarted, that's what your world would have come back with. Since you deleted a few, the count went back below the magic 256 and they got saved properly in the backup I made just before this fix.

I updated that collection to use a 16 bit integer instead. I doubt if you add 65k roads.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2018-11-02 Street Light Tweaks, Crash, Critical Landscape Bug - by Haxus - 11-03-2018, 12:27 AM