Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roleplaying historical challenge start

Planning how to start civilisation naturally with historically wise and smooth development by limitating myself with roleplay.
Use simplest equipment and building designs matched to technologic age. Do sort of technology research to advance.
Well, slow pace make it need to start without hurrying rock overhead.

Cannot use topdown resource map until you properly survey area by legs/ air/ orbital scanning.
Cannot use worldmap and compass either until you reach needful tech and global discoverings.
Navigate with sun, planets and landmarks. Construct your own, mark the earth!

Start as weak humanoid without abnormal abilities so you must use technology and allies to survive against wildlife.

Initial age of tribal camps is skip paleolitic, so start with sorta early Mesolithic settlements...

=Mesolithic age= (wood\straw buildings)
Nomadic tribe of hunters\gatherers wandering in the wilds.
Must not use universal stone constructions from very start, as it's too easy. Nor cannot settle in caves (unless got an blueprint for that).
Using campfires and tents to protect the settlement.
Gather most of resources manually, as early foragers, wandering around with torches and camping near good resource sources until it exhausted, then moving to new place.
Handcraft the tools or buy them from tribal camps (cannot make Boxes yet).
Trying to got nice spot with foodplants and water nearby to start a bunch of little temporary settlements.
Build small log or straw houses (need to design tribal style buildings pack), some of them may be combined use with logging camp.
May emulate hunting, gathering camps by low efficiency farms with need of wide area. 
Also fishing huts.
Cannot save too much of food without proper conservation yet.
Hunters start taming wildlife, can mount something fast to become proper mobile nomad tribe and carry more with you around.

=Neolithic age= (stone\clay buildings)
Got enough experience with primitive wood/stone tools, gathered materials and fire, so can advance.
Can dig up stones instead of clay and make clayhuts.
Hunters got tamed some wildlife, so you can got own meat farms. Gatherers got how to sow the plants, but need to collect enough to research how it must grow.
Got fired pottery, so food and cooking got improved, can save more and preserve longer to survive in permanent settlement without moving around.
Can burn that dangerous forest down to got more farming land and less of dangerous wildlife lurking around.

Life become much more stable with own producing food, which got so excessed that we can become lazy and got to drink alcohol and eat a lot of baked carbohydrates.
Well, alcohol bring up inspiration for new inventions... and fire up conflicts...
Do some megalithic projects instead!

=Bronze-Iron ages= (lumber and stone blocks buildings)
Fat population is growing, big people got need for new and rare resources, lands become limited, bigger conflicts arise...

As our planet haven't native metal nuggets and iron meteorites, we must advance by collecting various rocks and firing them with biggest fires. Then we got first metal and reach simple metal tools. So now we can cut down all that dense forest around into charcoal and smoking area with furnaces and blacksmithers.
Excess of logs can be multiplied into material-wise lumber planks, so can build complex structures now by mixing them with chiselled stones.
Multilevel towers and castles arise, lands got repurposed for mans sake. Ships is exploring the world and colonise other continents.
Got some epidemic outbreaks without proper medicine.

=Industrial age= (metal constructions, bricks buildings)
Science advancing! Hungry people seeking new and want to catch and bend all of nature laws!
Develop good and bad substances for experiments to find usefulness. Transform bad spirits into good medicines!
Every resource got use or can be used in the future after research with various dangerous experiments. Best resources all over the world is shipping to capital of fast-growing Empire!
Mines, refineries, factories, coal-powered industry, pipes everywhere...

=Space age= (concrete, plastic)
Research various fuel and power sources, capture nuclear power, evade self-destruction of the civilisation...

Explore stellar bodies from observatories.

Develop various tech for prosperity of civilisation to fight against sickness and boredom.

Crash a lot of testing air vehicles. Reach highest and deepest planet areas.
Try to colonise seabed to mine more of rare resources and develop space-related tech.

Send an satellite to orbit. Send a man.
Explore closest moon from orbiting ships. Project small station to be highest observation post of your homeplanet.
Send small expedition to the moon, bring back new unique resources.
Develop new tech with acquired knowledge, send bigger expedition and settle down up there. Build up regular transportation of materials and colonists. Develop local resources, reach self-sufficiency of moon colony. Evade separation of newborn nation...
Build up new complex ships to reach far and wide across your solar system.

Avoiding the use of the overhead view is a very good tip for starting out so you have to explore on foot realistically. Also don't look at the system map either until you have an Observatory.

For role-play I think it is fun to name landmarks around you. Give nearby lakes, forests, mountains, deserts, etc, fantasy names. Make your world feel real.

Use mounts and sailboats to explore your world. I love prepping for great journies by stocking up on food, bringing a rifle with plenty of ammo and making sure I have a log or two when I need to setup camp with no trees nearby for a campfire. I catalog all the animals I find and give them names.

Circumnavigation the world this way is a great early game goal. As is setting up new cities and sea trade routes. As a goal, try to find the highest QL resources you can.
So there

Yep, and no worldmap, nor even compass until you got invent it somewhere in metal ages. Can write own hand map...
Explore land alongside natural borders like seacoast and mountains. Navigate with sun and moons, find or make own landmarks to not got lost!
Or just make the roads, when you got proper tools to cut down the way through!

Also you can ask allies for directions. So helpful folks!

I actually wish that the overhead tool could be limited somehow based on what you've constructed.

1. No overhead at start.
2. One level zoom when you have a Capitol.
3. Two level zoom when you have a Police Department.
4. Three level zoom when you have a university.
5. Full zoom when you have electricity.

Dunno, just an idea to make things more realistic. I know you can already do this on your own if you're role-playing, but the temptation to cheat is sometimes too great to resist when you're lost. Doesn't help that full zoom out lets you see nearly half your planet.

Another thing is I wish the max rocket speed was much smaller. I guess this means you'd need to greatly limit the amount of rocket fuel so you couldn't accelerate as much. It shouldn't be possible to reasonably deadhead from one system to another in a rocket. At least it should take hours and hours (days?).

Also flying from one planet to another should take a decent amount of time in a rocket. Your first excursion to another world should feel like an epic adventure. You shouldn't be allowed to zip around your starting system in a rocket like a go-cart in your back yard.
So there

Not sure about zoom levels by administrative buildings, I more about technologies, so low zoom can be reached with high enough viewpoint, like hill or tall tower.
Universities may give that prospecting map of local resources. So its really administrative view by cumulative knowledge of non-character surveyors.
Also universities may give worldmap after you got travel around the world far enough.

Middle zoom after you got flying transport (maybe shortcut with flying mounts...). Surelly need sorta ballons and zepellins...

Max zoom must be need an orbital station\satellite.

May design special low efficient rocket with weakest possible engine power just to escape the planet gravity... And use it as disposable ship, like normal early rockets.

(12-11-2023, 05:29 PM)Kastuk Wrote: Not sure about zoom levels by administrative buildings, I more about technologies, so low zoom can be reached with high enough viewpoint, like hill or tall tower.
Universities may give that prospecting map of local resources. So its really administrative view by cumulative knowledge of non-character surveyors.
Also universities may give worldmap after you got travel around the world far enough.

Middle zoom after you got flying transport (maybe shortcut with flying mounts...). Surelly need sorta ballons and zepellins...

Max zoom must be need an orbital station\satellite.

May design special low efficient rocket with weakest possible engine power just to escape the planet gravity... And use it as disposable ship, like normal early rockets.

Yes, all good ideas.  I like it.  A special low powered rocket design would be awesome to use. A rocket at most should be able to get you to your moon and back. That's it. You need a space ship to go to another planet.

It's kind of crazy how versatile the existing rocket is.  It's basically OP that you can use to scout all over your planet on top of exploring the whole solar system 10x over without running out of fuel. Put a couple wings on it and it is a fighter jet.
So there

Yep, rocket can jet around globe in a wink without any worry of crashing, unless you accelerate into mountain.

Someone needs to make a YouTube series with this premise in mind. I would 110% watch that!

I'll can do just screens and some diary reports. When I got fix my system to even run Hazeron.

Well, I can play in old versions with unlocked Steam api, but theres various critical problems with Designer to make needful buildings.

Did play some, meat and leather is coming to camps by itself, or dying in fights nearby for free, so its quite comfy life when you got a campfire of protection and no need to actively hunt.