Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorial should not keep spamming instructions and popups

After watching a video of a Youtuber about Hazeron, (who admittedly was a bit lazy and entitled, and didn't actually read instructions from teh tutorial), I started a new character and played the tutorial for a bit myself.

I must admit getting the constant popups and spam is a quite annoying. It might be better to just open one popup with more text and give pauses between every popup (which could be closable and re-openable), where u have to confirm before proceeding (like for the Stone Age). This would allow for people to actually try out what is described in the pop-up. 

Additonally getting the same spam message about constructing a Mine repeated infinitely until you finally construct one, is possibly even more annoying. People don't need the same message every 2 minutes. One single time will suffice (again best if the popup can be closed and re-opened at will, like some help menu, or Mission objective window.)

Even better yet would be if it was divided in simple missions, e.g. :
1. F4 opens your inventory > try this now when you are ready to proceed click next.
2. backspace switches to TD view. > switch to TD view.
3. \ and shift+\ cycle between different filters > try cycling the filter now until it shows only uncommon minerals > remember this for later.

Stuff like that would alot more pleasant than the constant spam/popups and the infinitely repeated messages.

Maybe something more along the likes of a task list would be better.

Something like:
  • Craft backpack 0/1
  • Gather stone 0/4

The issue here is mainly about what the story engine can actually detect about the player and what they are doing or have already done.

The tutorial should definitely teach the player, or at least direct them to, crafting a backpack before telling them to place a Mine. Since if you don't have a backpack, you will fill up your inventory with seeds or other useless things before you can find the 4 stone you need. I guess the player could also just start with a knapsack, that would help players a lot getting started.
(PS: Please just make seeds not foraged unless specifically selected.)

As seen in the review, the guy didn't even look at his inventory. So he had no idea that his inventory was full.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

If the story engine can't read player inventory and UI state, I would suggest making it do so. A trigger based tutorial would have helped a TON with that guy or really any new player.

Example: "Open your inventory like this" <story system waits until inventory UI is opened> "Ok now that you have it open look for this thing and press is" <story system waits again> "Ok great, now this is why we do this and so forth"

Also being able to highlight UI elements to draw attention would help a ton. Like have a flashing box or rectangle to draw attention do where they need to click on the UI or in their inventory. 

These are big changes but the outcome would be a nice interactive experience.