Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2018-07-24 Turrets, Sensors, World Building Limit

Are limits on population and volume per world, or amount of volume per added use in a building, about to change any time soon? I am about to start designing some new buildings for the system proposed earlier in this thread; I'd like to know if it'd be worth my time to start remaking each building type for different world diameters, and possibly for different environments. This will be the third or fourth time.

Edit:
Thanks to VhwatGoes for all his help finding the equations for volume requirements in new buildings. After making an optimizer for allocating volume in the new system and running through the different world sizes, the numbers seem reasonable.

Edit 2:
After some thought on the issue, I think the volume per world is an ideal solution. It prevents massively overpowered military installations while allowing cities to feel like cities, unlike with building limits. I do have two possible changes that might improve the usability of the system.

1. The ability to allocate volume to different uses after placing a building. Think of this as renovating existing structures. Maybe some labor cost could be associated with this work. Think refit for buildings.

2. A "Null" volume use. Adding volume to this would not increase building hitpoints or any other statistics. Instead, it would allow larger building designs to be efficiently used on smaller worlds. This would prevent the need to redesign buildings for every world diameter and environmental condition in order to have efficient cities. Volume added to this would essentially be ignored.

The main drawback of the system as it is now is that it requires different building designs for all combinations of world diameter, environmental conditions, and intended city use. This might help reduce that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2018-07-24 Turrets, Sensors, World Building Limit - by Mr. Mortius - 07-28-2018, 08:09 PM