Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: My friend is a friend of my enemy. When asked for known city information for star map queries...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I don’t want my friends to reveal my positions to my enemies.
66.67%
6 66.67%
I don’t want my friends to conceal the positions of my enemies when asked.
33.33%
3 33.33%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-06-27 Star Map Cities, Star Map Search, Star Map XML Nerf

(06-29-2019, 03:37 AM)pizzasgood Wrote: This is a commercial game.  Having the option to use third party tools is always nice, but it should never be required in order to reasonably play the game.  That has long been one of the most glaring issues with SoH, and I'm glad work is finally being done to correct it.

No one said it was bad to have an in-game search tool. I even just said so.
It is nice that knowledge of third-party tools isn't required to play the game.

(06-29-2019, 03:37 AM)pizzasgood Wrote: It would be nice if we could keep using those tools, but sometimes the best way to get something done right is to smash people's crutches and force the issue.  This is especially true when a developer is too busy developing to do thorough play-testing.  Time is finite, so indie game devs have to rely heavily on players to report issues that they might never notice on their own.  If those players can just opt out of the built-in systems by using superior third-party tools, the feedback for the internal tools is liable to be sparse and newbie-centric.  Furthermore, when alternatives are available the tools feel less important to fix and the improvements get perpetually delayed.  As much as you might feel that's acceptable, it isn't.  This is a commercial product.  It needs to stand on its own feet.

Sometimes growth is painful, but Hazeron will be better for it over the long term.

I can see your point about how third-party tools can mean that some in-game issues become less important. But that doesn't mean they aren't found at all.

Either way, I have heard no good reason for the total removal of at least just the survey data XML export.
The XML export did not give anyone an advantage that others didn't have. Unless we consider people with no knowledge about third-party tools. But that issue has now been eliminated by the implementation of the new in-game search tool.
The XML export was not being unfairly exploited, anything in it could be read/found using the in-game star map with minimal effort. This is again, a non-issue because of the new in-game search tool.

The only effect that removal of the XML export will cause, is upsetting the community by making their cool third-party tools no longer work.
The third-party tools are a great thing to bring the community together. Highlight different issues in the game and brainstorm new tools that would help make the game better.

The XML export wasn't broken, it didn't need fixing, and it probably isn't much of an issue to maintain it.
I can't think of a single reason to remove it that outweigh the positive it does to keep it.

(06-29-2019, 04:48 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: pizzasgood, I would just leave it here.

Without ranting even more. Yes other games also have great success with allowing players to create third-party tools.
Thanks for the example link Anr!
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019-06-27 Star Map Cities, Star Map Search, Star Map XML Nerf - by Deantwo - 06-29-2019, 09:32 PM