Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-05-16 Drilling Rigs, Platforms

When placing an aerial platform, the MSL altitude is shown. Mouse wheel raises and lowers it +/- 100m. Shift changes the increment to +/- 1m. It cannot be placed below some minimum (1m?). The cursor also shows the remaining space above the platform, for buildings built on top of it.

The area where buildings are built does not have to be flat, though it is recommended. Multiple build zones can exist at different altitudes. The check to insure a building is on the platform, for construction, only insures all the site vertices are in build zones. The final altitude of the building is where you place it. The building is always oriented level to the platform's Z axis. The building's site meshes do not modify the underlying platform.

At present platforms are considered to be civilian structures.

Military rules probably mean that I should consider a platform with military buildings on it to be a military building. Making an enclosed biodome-like platform would then enable me to make an inaccessible, thus indestructible, HQ inside it. Hmm.

All three sample platforms have armor level 10, to make them extremely difficult to destroy. They are also configured to be built in any environment. The drilling rig is not so equipped, so the basic rig wouldn't require so much to build.

Ground platforms cannot be built under lava seas. I would need to develop a good "submerged in lava" visual effect to enable construction there. Deep red fog doesn't really work. That effect could then be adapted to an "underground" visual effect, for subterranean vehicles or riding subterranean creatures, something that has been on my list for a long time.

Sea surface construction uses the atmosphere construction requirements. I have a note to add that kind of information to the report, when reporting suitability for other environments.

Messages In This Thread
2019-05-16 Drilling Rigs, Platforms - by Haxus - 05-16-2019, 08:04 PM
RE: 2019-05-16 Drilling Rigs, Platforms - by Haxus - 05-16-2019, 08:36 PM