Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-04-05 Query Starmap, Finalize Progress, Server Config

Good fixes here; just going to pitch on the hull thing.

I've mentioned it before but will again. There's no way to stop someone making a ship look smaller than its performance suggests. I think you may as well make it easier rather than harder - perhaps by divorcing aesthetic volume from ship requirements and capabilities. 

You can make a big cube of intangible, invisible hull and use it to bulk up your stats. It's really ugly because the shield bubble goes a weird shape and you have to fiddle about with voids in odd places. But if you make a true-to-scale replica of something and find its performance is just a bit off, or a lot off, it's a good thing to be able to do. I don't see that there's a huge rush to make it extra difficult; no one is gaining any unfair advantage by doing so, unless people are really judging whether or not to fight a ship by looking out the window.

It makes sense that different cultures using putatively different technologies would produce roughly equivalent ships quite different in size; if the Star Wars races were two inches high, as a Hazeron race can be, they'd make their Star Destroyers a lot smaller: a lot of that volume is corridors and hangars.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019-04-05 Query Starmap, Finalize Progress, Server Config - by Vectorus - 04-05-2019, 04:06 PM