Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2018-07-24 Turrets, Sensors, World Building Limit

(07-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Haxus Wrote: World Building Limit
The world building limit enables 400 buildings with 104M cubic meters each. This permits the creation of defenses that could never be conquered. The building limit feels arbitrary and it does not achieve the desired balance.

The world building limit was changed from a number of buildings to the volume of buildings. The world building limit is now the same as the size limit for the largest possible spacecraft, 104M cubic meters. Every 1000 cubic meters above that results in an additional -1 to morale.

This enables tens of thousands of small buildings to be built on a single world. Things get slower as the number of buildings goes up. It could create excessive load on the server. Adjustments will have to be made if this becomes the case. Don't be in too big of a hurry to populate lots of worlds with thousands of buildings.
This change still doesn't sit well with me, why does the world building limit have to be constrained to such an arbitrary number? As I've shown from my calculations colonising worlds with the bare minimum of requirements barely hits the half population limit(where the overpopulation morale debuff happens)of a 9500 world (max 134013 without incurring morale penalties), this heavily devalues larger worlds/ringworlds as anything more than a 9500 world grants diminishing returns, I don't think people would appreciate colonising a ringworld to only find out they're nothing more than a bragging right do they?

Is this table just meaningless now?
[Image: KXwzCnJ.png]

Now here's an idea, why not make the world building limit scale with a certain number? And the answer can easily be found in the table above, we could just take the world's surface area and use it as the world's volume limit, since it's simply the population limit times 1000(or perhaps the other way round). This lines up with a calculation I've made earlier that each pop requires a minimum of 782.443m3(fairly close to 1000 I'd say)to avoid incurring morale penalties, not inclusive of military bases, power plants or additional armour/life support requirements for harsh environment worlds. This not only prevents players from carelessly designing uselessly large buildings, but also provides leeways for other stuff like military bases and etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2018-07-24 Turrets, Sensors, World Building Limit - by zslayern - 07-25-2018, 07:22 AM