Hazeron Forums
Exploring Resource Tiers - Printable Version

+- Hazeron Forums (https://hazeron.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Shores of Hazeron (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arena of Ideas (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Exploring Resource Tiers (/showthread.php?tid=2369)

Exploring Resource Tiers - Deantwo - 06-29-2020

In preparation to discussing technology systems and progression, lets take a look at the current resources in the game and try to put them into tiers. Not necessarily to propose changes, but feedback and ideas are always nice.

In a lot of games we have three basic tiers: early-game, mid-game and late-game. This is mainly interesting to us so we can see where the game might be lacking in things to search for.

Starter - Tier 0
First of all the start of the game has a number resources found on your homeworld as part of early-game, but they are either useless or better alternatives exist in tier 1.
  • Logs
  • Stone

Early-game - Tier 1
In the early-game we have the basic resources found on your homeworld and on your local moon. When you have all these resources you are able to manufacture all normal commodities.
  • Ore
  • Oil
  • Minerals
  • Crystals
  • Gems
  • Coal
  • Radioactives
  • Ice
  • Water
  • Air
  • Hydrogen
  • Eludium
  • Lumenite
All plant and animal resources can go in here too, but you likely don't need all of them and a few of them are definitely tier 0 (such as Plant Fiber).

Mid-game - Tier 2
In the mid-game we have the basic resources from the other orbit zones. With tier 2 resources you can make all the basic spacecraft modules and weapons. Any separation between mid-game and late-game is currently kind of artificial, you are required to get most of the tier 2 resources, but not necessarily all of them before you get tier 3 or higher.
  • Cryozine
  • Ioplasma
  • Phlogiston
  • Magmex

Late-game - Tier 3
In the late-game you start having to search more for what you need. With tier 3 resources you can make almost all spacecraft modules, including warp-drives.
  • Vulcanite
  • Bolite
  • Myrathane
  • Antiflux Particles

Beyond - Tier 4
Beyond late-game you have to start using harvester ships and colonize harder worlds like gas giants and planetoid. Tier 4 resources don't all have implemented uses, or at least barely makes a difference in spacecraft construction aside from the adamantine hull. The most interesting here is preons, since they allow use of star gates.
  • Preons
  • Borexino Precipitate
  • Polytaride
  • Flomentum
  • Adamantite
  • Viathol

Thoughts
Tier 0 can be skipped almost completely if you rush for metal production. I am not sure if this is a bad thing though. I considered adding radioactives to tier 0, but it technically has some minimal uses currently.

Tier 2 is required for most spacecraft modules, but it isn't actually required to get tier 3 resources at all. This means that a player can skip some of the tier 2 resources if they don't want the spacecraft modules that require them.

I have voiced my desire to see tier 3 resources require tools made from tier 2 resources, and tier 4 requiring tier 3 tools. That way we would have a need to create some basic supply chains, and make sure that they are maintained.

There is also the question of if we need more tiers, or new resources in some of the tiers. For example I have always wanted some non-gas giant undersea resources, and maybe some plant based resources used in advanced tech.

In most other games, each tier of resources would come with their own version of each tool. For example the pickaxes in Minecraft that you first make out of wood, then stone, metal, and finally diamond. So would we want vulcium hammers and the like? I would prefer more generically named stuff like "magmium refinery tools" and "vulcium mining tools".

What are you guys thoughts on the matter? Ideas? Feedback?

RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - Neils Iyssada - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 04:45 PM)Deantwo Wrote: In most other games, each tier of resources would come with they own version of each tool. For example the pickaxes in Minecraft that you first make out of wood, then stone, metal, and finally diamond. So would we want vulcium hammers and the like? I would prefer more generically named stuff like "magmium refinery tools" and "vulcium mining tools".
Please no, I already have an headache just thinking about how I'll organize my productions to have enough ressources to make a said number of spacecraft modules each hour.
Adding tool tiers to the production chain is just adding more complexity to the spreadsheets.

RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - Deantwo - 06-29-2020

(06-29-2020, 08:47 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 04:45 PM)Deantwo Wrote: In most other games, each tier of resources would come with their own version of each tool. For example the pickaxes in Minecraft that you first make out of wood, then stone, metal, and finally diamond. So would we want vulcium hammers and the like? I would prefer more generically named stuff like "magmium refinery tools" and "vulcium mining tools".

Please no, I already have an headache just thinking about how I'll organize my productions to have enough ressources to make a said number of spacecraft modules each hour.
Adding tool tiers to the production chain is just adding more complexity to the spreadsheets.

I would argue that if you aren't able to produce enough, you just need to produce more. Micromanaging your production lines in Hazeron isn't really worth it much.

The fact that we literally have no need for any interstellar supply chains, you simply ship the raw materials to your capital or shipyard solar system, seems a little dull. There is never any need to ship materials and tools to your other solar systems. I guess the new antiflux particle collection process for the refinery and adamantine mining process are the exceptions, since they are the first to require some advanced tools.

But some players think production is too easy, some think it is too complex, and some want to optimize it to pinpoint accuracy. It is hard to make everyone happy.