Each sensor increases the range which your ship can scan with the sensor console by about 6km. The sensor station has about 6km range as well.
When crew is ordered to do a system survey, the time required to do so will depend on the number of celestial bodies in the system, the size category of the sensors, and the rank of the sensor station operator.
- Short Range is less than one lunar orbit. 12,954m
- Orbital Range is more than one lunar orbit. 12,954m
- Planetary Range is more than 1/2 planetary orbit. 91,449m
- System Range is more than 15 planetary orbits. 2,743,200m
- 3-5 million m range is generally enough to cover an entire single star system
- 7-8 million m range is generally enough to cover an entire binary star systems
- 12-14 million m range is generally enough to cover an entire trinary systems