Tidally Locked Planet

Problems with Shores of Hazeron

Tidally Locked Planet

Postby Cthulhu » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 am

So this is rather interesting. I recently colonised a habitable large moon in the orbit of a gas giant. The planet has a day and night cycle, yet does not rotate. One side is permanently facing the host star, making it tidally locked.

While it is certainly possible from a astrophysical standpoint (albeit quite rare due to rotational mechanics, and planetary formation (note: i'm a physicist)), I wanted to make sure there wasn't a bug in it's rotation. I can send you the co-ordinates if you want a closer look haxus.
Cthulhu

Re: Tidally Locked Planet

Postby Deantwo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Cthulhu wrote:I recently colonised a habitable large moon in the orbit of a gas giant.
Cthulhu wrote:One side is permanently facing the host star, making it tidally locked.

So the large moon always has the same side towards the sun? That sounds rather special, and as far as I know doesn't make it tidally locked.
A quick google search says that a celestial body can only be tidally locked to the celestial body it is orbiting. What you are explaining seens to be different. But I will agree that it sounds cool!

In-game you said something about the "planet rotation indicator" was flipping back and forth?

Cthulhu wrote:I can send you the co-ordinates if you want a closer look haxus.

Just tell Haxus the name of the city. If the name is unique, he can easily teleport to it.
(Wish I knew exactly what the agent powers controls looked like. ^^;)
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I am definitely curious. Will check it out. The city name would be sufficient. If it's unique like Deantwo said.

Here is a sample of that UI you requested. This is in Architect mode. It scales back capabilities based on the level of the agent. There are three levels: Agent, Programmer and Architect.

Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Cthulhu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:20 am

Deantwo wrote:A quick google search says that a celestial body can only be tidally locked to the celestial body it is orbiting. What you are explaining seens to be different. But I will agree that it sounds cool!

I don't think there is a descriptor for satellites with a locked day cycle, whilst also locked to it's host. I haven't been on in a few days but I think the host planet its self may not have a orbital period either. I'll check.
Cthulhu

Postby Cthulhu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am

After investigation it appears the planet is tidally locked to it's host gas giant, and the day night cycle only occurs as the host orbits the star. It also has no orbital period round the host, meaning (it's currently in the middle of night) it will not see day again till the host makes 0.5 period.

City is Aldebaran City on Aldebaran α Tauri Va.
Cthulhu

Postby ResonKinetic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:06 pm

i mean this should be a feature tbh
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

Return to Bug Reports