Airport Flight Paths

Suggestions and ideas for improving Shores of Hazeron

Airport Flight Paths

Postby Deantwo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:44 pm

I was just thinking a little that it was weird for airport terminals to have transporters without io tubes, I am sure I am not the only one. Either way the range is normally useless at low TL anyway, and having a simple way into orbit is nice.

But thinking about transporter alternatives I came to think about NPC piloted helicopters. Think similar to World of Warcraft flight paths. You go to an airport and order a flight to another city using a menu, pay a small fee and a NPC flys you there. The NPC could use space transports if they are available and even allow for interplanetary flight paths.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Related: (Idea thread) Helicopter movement
Last edited by Deantwo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Re: Airport Flight Paths

Postby Deantwo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Imagine a helicopter flight to a city on the opposite side of a 20 arc ringworld.
Listening to the NPC pilot bitch about lack of grav-couplings in a ringworld system would get old fast, don't you think? Think of the poor NPCs!
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Deantwo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 pm

If a vehicle with FTL was ever added, flight paths to other systems could even be possible.

Or as someone else called it, airport taxi.
Deantwo

Postby Vectorus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 am

I love this idea. NPC scheduling is usually what makes or breaks a game world for me. The feeling that you are not the centre of the universe - other people actually have lives to get on with, and would continue getting on with them even if you weren't there to see it. Isn't that why the idea of The Matrix is so much cooler than an ordinary video game? Most developers treat it as an afterthought, sadly.

More possibilities: scheduled locomotives, buses, ships, and planes, even flying monsters on worlds that have them! The system could also be used just to have vehicles and NPCs moving about to create the impression of life, even when they're not transporting avatars. At the moment, a city in Hazeron feels a bit as if you're the only person left in the Matrix after everyone else has been unplugged.

To keep resource load to a minimum: vehicle objects would move along predefined rails. No dynamic pathing. Like the train in GTA:V, they would be indestructible and unable to deviate. Perhaps each connexion would require a terminal building to work and would cease to exist when that is destroyed. The transport car is a model without dynamically animated parts; whether it moves along the ground or under it or through the air or sea or any combination is just up to you; just set the path. It can look like anything. It has a custom sound effect. It doesn't bother to exist outside your scene, since it always knows where it's supposed to be.

Predefined paths between planets are more difficult because of orbital relationships. They should be a parabola, perpendicular to the system plane, and they should just stretch as the planets move. If the car is obstructed by a planet or sun it just goes through it. The parabolic arc should prevent that anyway, in almost every case.

I realized I was going to enjoy Starquest Online the moment I understood that to move around the game world I would have to look up a real schedule and get to the Orbital Transfer Station on time. Other people might be waiting too, or they might not. The shuttle arrives, you get on and then you're away. Forget your luggage and you might miss it. It made the world feel so real, and I felt small in comparison to it: like an actual human person, not a designated video game hero. Miles better than the button-press fast travel of most games.

The Mars shuttle was weird and bugged and would sometimes kill you instead of letting you board. I miss that shuttle.
Vectorus

Postby QuakeIV » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:59 pm

This could potentially be very neat.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.

Vae Victus
QuakeIV

Postby Minty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm

yeah, i have to agree with the 'center of the universe' feel. i get that, canonically, we're avatars and the rest are npcs, but it just feels weird that empires go from having no cities whatsoever to having spaceflight just because you show up. i know elder scrolls levels of individual npcs having schedules and shit is a little unrealistic, but it'd be nice if the world felt a little less dependant on the god-queen that shows up and destroys every spaceship she touches.
Minty

Return to Arena of Ideas