needs more players

General discussion about Shores of Hazeron

needs more players

Postby revann1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 am

Have been thinking of coming back, but i dont becouse the player numbers are always so low, 3-7 online at one time, i really suggest investing in marketing & promotion of the game, just becouse it has outdated graphics & a complex system doesnt mean it cant get players, there are bunch of people who would be into this game, they just forgot about it, and or dont know it exists.

i suggest investing in a marketing campaign, not necessarily steam yet, as the game needs some more patching up before steam, but a campaign that would put ads to people searching for sci fi games.

Need testers to test games :p
revann1

Re: needs more players

Postby AnrDaemon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am

Go ahead, you have my blessing.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby revann1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

AnrDaemon wrote:Go ahead, you have my blessing.

👏
revann1

Postby Haxus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:36 pm

I was planning on a bit of promotion after the new buildings are finished. I don't really want a bunch of new players designing buildings and spacecraft using the old designer.

The new buildings were supposed to be completely finished by now. Unfortunately, a long string of interruptions put me behind schedule, by several weeks.

The server threading changes are now stable. It was a worthwhile improvement. This unscheduled upgrade eliminated an emergency of lagging servers that had developed.

Those things are behind, I hope. I feel like I am back to work at full potential. I will now resume work on the new buildings.

Then we'll see how ready SoH is for promotion.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am

i still stand by the idea that we should try and do weekly community streams or something, to show off people's creations, have little events, and get the community interacting! youtube and twitch are some of the best marketing you could hope for, imo.

especially now that there's proper teleportation, super smooth mouse movement, custom buildings and ships, and better lighting... i think new viewers might be interested!
Minty

Postby revann1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 am

Dude the new smooth movement and mouse improves the attractiveness of the game by like x5000, it feels like a true first person mmorpg now

Haxus wrote:I was planning on a bit of promotion after the new buildings are finished. I don't really want a bunch of new players designing buildings and spacecraft using the old designer.

The new buildings were supposed to be completely finished by now. Unfortunately, a long string of interruptions put me behind schedule, by several weeks.

The server threading changes are now stable. It was a worthwhile improvement. This unscheduled upgrade eliminated an emergency of lagging servers that had developed.

Those things are behind, I hope. I feel like I am back to work at full potential. I will now resume work on the new buildings.

Then we'll see how ready SoH is for promotion.
revann1

Postby revann1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am

Although, speaking my mind, (I'd pay $15 if I had to) but based off people in the discord channel's opinions who don't play anymore, they say they can't justify the price being $10 so that might be something to consider to get more players, but again, not my opinion, I think it's worth it, but not all players who haven't retried the game again do..
revann1

Postby Phenoix12 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm

revann1 wrote:Although, speaking my mind, (I'd pay $15 if I had to) but based off people in the discord channel's opinions who don't play anymore, they say they can't justify the price being $10 so that might be something to consider to get more players, but again, not my opinion, I think it's worth it, but not all players who haven't retried the game again do..

I don't think Haxus can lower the price... the price was put in place to just keep the game running. And even then Haxus is still not earning enough to cover the server costs.
Phenoix12

Postby Staines » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:24 am

revann1 wrote:Although, speaking my mind, (I'd pay $15 if I had to) but based off people in the discord channel's opinions who don't play anymore, they say they can't justify the price being $10 so that might be something to consider to get more players, but again, not my opinion, I think it's worth it, but not all players who haven't retried the game again do..

Phenoix12 wrote:I don't think Haxus can lower the price... the price was put in place to just keep the game running. And even then Haxus is still not earning enough to cover the server costs.

Haxus would make more money if the subscription fee was lower.
Hell he'd probably make money if it was free and purely Patreon/donation based.

Having such a high subscription fee prices most people out of the game - and that turns away people who WOULD otherwise pay the fee because the reduced player numbers mean there's no one to pay to play with in the first place. The primary reason Syndicate doesn't play because of the lack of players; I mean we used to have 10-14 people online just with our Empire on it's own. Just ask anyone on Discord and the two most common reasons they don't play anymore are "high subscription fee" and "no players".

higher fee = less players = less players = less money.

At this point I'm not sure what the solution is. The games community is extremely atrophied.

Recover
The only way to recover a significant number of players and even attempt to try and create stability would be;
- Significant, hyped up update (new building / ship update)
- Two week hype wind up before a universe reset.
- 33% price drop on new universe start.

Sustain
After that, the only way to keep numbers high is by developer-community interaction and information.
- Developer Diaries to give people things to discuss.
- A Roadmap so people know what is coming and planned progress.
- Clumping feature updates together to be meatier and more hype-able.
All of this has happened before, and will happen again.
Staines

Postby Minty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Haxus would make more money if the subscription fee was lower.
Hell he'd probably make money if it was free and purely Patreon/donation based.

he's not makin any money bud. the current fees don't cover the server costs. sure, i bet he'd have a lot more players if he wasn't charging anything again, but that would mean the server costs would be even higher. and if people aren't willing to pay a subscription fee, they're not going to donate.

Recover
The only way to recover a significant number of players and even attempt to try and create stability would be;
- Significant, hyped up update (new building / ship update)

yes, he's been doing significant updates. on both buildings and ships.

- Two week hype wind up before a universe reset.
- 33% price drop on new universe start.

i'll agree that both of these would be good ways to get new players, especially if coupled with the steam release a sale during a significant event is always a good idea!

Sustain
After that, the only way to keep numbers high is by developer-community interaction and information.
- Developer Diaries to give people things to discuss.

there is an update thread made for every single update he pushes. you can go into galactic chat in the game and talk to haxus pretty much any day. i have never seen a developer more in touch with his community.

- A Roadmap so people know what is coming and planned progress.
- Clumping feature updates together to be meatier and more hype-able.

i agree with the first part, not so much with the second. i think most people like seeing progress being made, and like seeing what's being done. it always sucks following the development of games and having to wait 6 months for big updates - in hazeron, we get to play around with them every week! plus, i imagine this system is great for finding and squashing bugs before they pile up, since we all are basically the game's playtesters.
Minty

Next

Return to Cantina