Methods to keeping a city tidy?

General discussion about Shores of Hazeron

Methods to keeping a city tidy?

Postby SailorJerrys » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am

Heyo, just decided to resub to the game for awhile and try it out without struggling to build tech levels.

Was wondering if anyone has any methods to keep their cities tidy, as mine always look like a horrid mess!
SailorJerrys

Re: Methods to keeping a city tidy?

Postby Deantwo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 am

First of all I suggest setting the rotation interval to 45 degrees.
It isn't a win all, since worlds aren't flat. But it helps somewhat.

I normally make a straight road, then place a row of buildings (normally 3) as close as possible. Then I make a road around the corner and place a building behind the corner building, then make a new road that turn around that building and down the length of the row of buildings. Then I fill in the new gap between the buildings and the new road with a second row of buildings.

If that makes any sense...

I will gladly give you a tour around my capital city at some point if you need inspection.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Greydog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Press shift when placing a road. Select a building, hold it up to the road and press spacebar. If it doesn't work, hold it out over an open area and rt click a couple times and try again.

I normally place my buildings in rows of two with roads on either side.

Although, with the new building updates coming in all this could be moot anyway. This new system is going to change all the notions of a "Tidy City" as we know it.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby SailorJerrys » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 am

Deantwo wrote:I normally make a straight road, then place a row of buildings (normally 3) as close as possible. Then I make a road around the corner and place a building behind the corner building, then make a new road that turn around that building and down the length of the row of buildings. Then I fill in the new gap between the buildings and the new road with a second row of buildings.

I think I get what you mean, you basically just make a city block kind of, so it's two rows of buildings back to back with roads on either side of the set of buildings, right?
SailorJerrys

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am

Yes. A few rays of those are enough, plus whatever harvesting islands you need.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Deantwo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 am

SailorJerrys wrote:
Deantwo wrote:I normally make a straight road, then place a row of buildings (normally 3) as close as possible. Then I make a road around the corner and place a building behind the corner building, then make a new road that turn around that building and down the length of the row of buildings. Then I fill in the new gap between the buildings and the new road with a second row of buildings.

I think I get what you mean, you basically just make a city block kind of, so it's two rows of buildings back to back with roads on either side of the set of buildings, right?

Yup, city blocks of 6 buildings each. Building roads all around them as it all kinda becomes a gride. I then make some horizontal and some vertical, making it look more interesting.

Production and harvesting buildings I normally build further out, so I end up with different districts.
One thing a lot of players forget is that they don't have to make everything close together. Planning with separated districts in mind, you will get a more natural looking city. It also makes it way easier to expand industries later since you can keep building types together.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Return to Cantina