Make the Designer more user friendly

General discussion about Shores of Hazeron

Make the Designer more user friendly

Postby Slaxx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:23 am

Please make the designer more user friendly. like the old designer. i literally cant play hazeron because i cant deal with the new designer as it is now.
it should be as simple to use as the old one.

it can keep all the features it has, just that it should be like a bit more user friendly.

(also it doesnt help that the words are all professional english and i dont understand most of them)

sorry this probably belongs in the idea section.
Slaxx

Re: Make the Designer more user friendly

Postby Haxus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am

I did add some videos that may help.

http://hazeron.com/videos.html
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby ResonKinetic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 am

Haxus wrote:I did add some videos that may help.

http://hazeron.com/videos.html

and for the record, they have helped tremendously. i actually have a usable space station and ship now because of those videos.
ResonKinetic

Postby Deantwo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 am

ResonKinetic wrote:and for the record, they have helped tremendously.

Very true. I had a pretty good idea about how stuff worked in the designer after just reading the updates, but I had no idea how to actually do it until I saw the videos.

For a complex designer like this I am not sure how much better the UI could even be. I mean reading the freaking manual is a valid requirement if you ask me, and the videos help a lot with this.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby AnrDaemon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:26 am

Deantwo wrote:For a complex designer like this I am not sure how much better the UI could even be.

It could be more obvious, with more sane defaults and a couple of specialized shortcuts.
F.e. it took me more than a few tries to realize I could turn off "Grid Follows Work", which is absolutely toxic for basic stuff.
Or it could have a permanent compass showing the layout alignment.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Akynos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

Maybe keeping the old designer could be a good idea for players who can't be bothered with the new designer (like me).

A ship made of boxes might be very crude, but it is easy and quick to make. Players who want more extensive designs can use the new one.

Everybody happy.
Akynos

Postby Deantwo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 am

Akynos wrote:Maybe keeping the old designer could be a good idea for players who can't be bothered with the new designer (like me).

Everybody happy.

Except when those lazy players find out how how much of a disadvantage it is to use the old designer. Then they will want it to be updated with the same features as the new designer, leaving Haxus with the chore of maintaining two designers at once.

I do agree that some kind of a "newbie mode" would be useful. Make a basic hull and select an interior plane, then have a interior designer that mimic the old designer a little.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Akynos » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 am

Deantwo wrote:Except when those lazy players find out how how much of a disadvantage it is to use the old designer.

What do you mean?
Akynos

Postby Deantwo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:29 am

Akynos wrote:
Deantwo wrote:Except when those lazy players find out how how much of a disadvantage it is to use the old designer.

What do you mean?

New-style spacecraft can be way bigger, which means they can be more powerful. They can also have both wormhole-drive and warp-drive at the same time. Power plant and capacitor are separate systems, allowing more freedom.
And they look way better when done right.
Deantwo

Postby AnrDaemon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 am

All of which is not necessarily a benefit.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Return to Cantina