2018-04-05 Spacecraft Factory, Vehicle Factory

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-04-05 Spacecraft Factory, Vehicle Factory

Postby Haxus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Spacecraft Factory
Spacecraft factories built using new buildings did not work.
  • Fixed error when fetching patents from empire archive.
  • Fixed error when spawning new spacecraft.
  • Added patent controls to record|get patents so you don't have to wait for the factory to fetch from the empire archive.
  • Spacecraft factory limited to one single manufacturing process, like in old cities.
  • Spacecraft factory building code now requires 4 offices and 4 shops.
  • I have a simple spacecraft factory blueprint that will be published publicly as soon as the servers restart.
Load Crew
Shiny new spacecraft built at new spacecraft factory is a fleet spacecraft. Fleet spacecraft cannot load crew from civilian airports. Oops. :oops: Fixed. Fleet spacecraft can now load crew and troops from military or civilian airports.

Patents at University
University list of available patents is empty. Fixed.

Vehicle Factory
Aircraft factories, vehicle factories and ship yards built using new buildings did not work.
  • Finished vehicle spawn code for vehicle factories.
  • Vehicle factory limited to one single manufacturing process, like in old cities.
  • Vehicle factory building code now requires 3 offices and 3 shops.
  • I have a simple vehicle factory blueprint that will be published publicly as soon as the servers restart. I didn't have time to make an aircraft factory or ship yard.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-04-05 Spacecraft Factory, Vehicle Factory

Postby Haxus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

This update fixes a couple of critical issues with new style cities. Now they can make vehicles and spacecraft. I didn't have time to finish spawning of farm animals; it seemed as if it could wait a bit longer.

Another critical issue needs my attention immediately. That is the heavy load some of the servers are suffering due to a growing number of extremely large buildings. Examples: a wharf with over 36k fishing processes, a farm with over 48k fields. :shock:

I have a solution but it may take a day or two to implement. Once this update is built and posted, I will be digging in to it right away. Please hang in there and be patient until I get it done.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:16 am

Haxus wrote:Spacecraft Factory...
  • Added patent controls to record|get patents so you don't have to wait for the factory to fetch from the empire archive.

So you added two buttons that we will likely never use? Buildings don't record empire patents upon finishing construction?
A simple indicator in the menu saying "no patents recorded, come again later" and then have a button that is only visible when this is the case, to record patents from inventory or empire vault instantly.

With the empire patent vault implemented, it feels silly to have all buildings have patent controls all over. Only time this is useful is if the building isn't part of a city or empire.
Can't think of a better way of doing this?
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 am

1. When a patent is recorded at a particular building, that building has the patent available immediately. My spacecraft factory needed a bunch of patents. I was in a hurry. I didn't want to record them in the empire patent archive, then wait around for the spacecraft factory to update its patents from the empire.

2. There are buildings that belong to no empire. The only patents they have are the ones in their possession. A UI is needed to access them.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 am

I am a little taken aback by this. Are you having a bad day?

Perhaps you could suggest a better way.

I do my best. I don't always get it right the first time. I haven't given up yet.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Vectorus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:54 am

Haxus wrote:Please hang in there and be patient until I get it done.

I think some of those may be my fault...and I don't imagine that those of us who are building these monsters really expect them to run smoothly. If you have a fix, that's great and I know you always give things your best shot - but if you'd rather I just delete my megafarms, then nerf them, for the good of the servers, I can do that too :roll: Certainly not going to pester you about it.
Vectorus

Postby Deantwo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 am

Haxus wrote:

I do my best. I don't always get it right the first time. I haven't given up yet.

Sorry, i didn't mean to imply that you aren't doing your best. I am 100% sure that if you had a better option that worked in all cases you would do it.

I was mostly annoyed with myself when I wrote that, since I can't think of anything better either once isolated buildings enter the picture. Just not sure of a better way to do it without making the whole planet simply contain the patents. Still getting used to not thinking of cities as an entry that is mandatory.

I am still leaning towards the idea of a university being reqiured to access empire patents. But that would mean that a university needs to be tied to an empire.
Of course tying the university to an empire could be an interesting way of looting, reward raiding with a random patent from the owning empire patent vault if destroyed/ramsacked. But this is useless becaise all you have to do is claim the planet and then you own all the patents on the planet.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Vectorus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 am

I meant to add that an obvious improvement would be abolishing processes, which are linked to x10 output, in favour of a percentage or point based production model. So you could tell your 1000 process farm to put out 50% vegetables and 50% fruit and you would get 5000 of each, every 10 seconds. I presume that takes fewer computation steps.

You could even collate the overall volume of each industry for cities with a capitol, and control it from there as a single bloc. Then when you go to the building itself, the manufacture screen just says "planned economy in progress, back away citizen"; so the divided volume doesn't actually need to be distributed to real buildings. You could click "cancel resource pooling" at the building to take it out of the loop, and the citywide calculation would adjust accordingly. You're not really losing any granularity, but it offers a chance for optimization.

Processes really belong to the world of building levels, not to volume-based calculations. But you're probably thinking of something similar anyway.
Vectorus

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 am

Haxus wrote:Perhaps you could suggest a better way.

I did suggest a better way. Make Planet = City already.
Apparently, nobody understand the concept of separate buildings except yourself. And every corner you cut in an attempt to make them work proves the point that they just do not want to…
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Ikkir Isth » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Haxus wrote:

Why not do it like this:

Have empire, solar, planet, and building patent cycles that push changes down/up on set ticks (with assumedly longer tick times for more expensive operations), with the building fetching from available planetary patents on build (being either in same empire or unaligned empire. If you want roads to make a difference, make it only fetch when it is both built AND has a road connection, and only do so this way once.) Unaligned buildings will naturally have no empire connection.

Use the existing store UI for managing patents at a building level: its already there: add bits and bobs if necessary.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Next

Return to Updates