2018-03-05 Black Hole, Tractor Beam, Vehicle Transporter

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-03-05 Black Hole, Tractor Beam, Vehicle Transporter

Postby Haxus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

Tractor Beam
When no blips are visible on the fire control screen, because sensors are off or broken, it is impossible to turn off the tractor beam. Fixed a bug that was ignoring all actions unless a blip was selected.

Vehicle Transporter
The places list of transporter destinations does not work when transporting a vehicle. Fixed.

Officer at Black Hole
Officer will not carry out mission orders to buy or sell stuff while in the vicinity of a black hole. Fixed.

Black Hole Station Lost
A station held by a tractor beam near a black hole was lost when the tractor beam was released. Fixed errors with station holding position.

Crew Drift at Black Hole
Crew does not hold the ship stationary in the vicinity of a black hole. Every few seconds the ship drops a little closer to the black hole. That is fixed.

Black Hole Death
Atlantis was pulled in to a black hole. Death was very slow as 100,000hp per second drained away from its 24M hit points. Fixed. Death upon contact with suns and black holes is much quicker now.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-03-05 Black Hole, Tractor Beam, Vehicle Transporter

Postby Vectorus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am

Haxus wrote:Black Hole Death
Atlantis was pulled in to a black hole. Death was very slow as 100,000hp per second drained away from its 24M hit points. Fixed. Death upon contact with suns and black holes is much quicker now.

Now add time dilation.

Spend a few hours near a black hole, go home to find all your ships have been built and Syndicate has conquered the galaxy.
Vectorus

Postby Deantwo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am

I actually like the idea of being pulled into a back hole and not die instantly. Just seeing the outside go pitch black and knowing that you will die soon. Of course would have to make it impossible to escape once you cross the event horizon.

Otherwise could change some things about black holes damage space a little.
See: (Bug report post) Re: Black hole damage
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Vectorus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Deantwo wrote:I actually like the idea of being pulled into a back hole and not die instantl

I agree with that, to some degree. The first time I met and fell into a black hole, it took me a long time to die. I was running around the ship, I launched the fighter, tried various things, panicked, then eventually accepted my fate and went out on the open deck to watch end. Just before it came, I wondered whether the FTL drive could technically get me beyond the Schwarzchild radius, and as I was racing back to the bridge the ship was finally destroyed. The whole episode was suitably dramatic- instantly despawning would have felt a bit anticlimactic after the half-hour I'd spent nervously edging around the system.
Vectorus

Postby Minty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I agree with those two above, I think it'd be cooler if the ship's systems were disabled/recalling disabled temporarily, but the ship's hp still went down slowly like it did previously. It's very cinematic.
Minty

Postby Haxus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Oh well I thought the slow death was a bug. :oops:

I restored the slow death inside black holes and suns.

When I logged in this morning, my AI pilot decided to continuously pitch the ship in circles over the black hole, never coming to a stop. :roll:

I fixed the problem with the pilot and restarted the servers. The slow death change made it into the restart.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby jakbruce2012 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Vectorus wrote:

Now add time dilation.

Spend a few hours near a black hole, go home to find all your ships have been built and Syndicate has conquered the galaxy.

HeHeHe... and all the cities decayed.

As for the slow death thing, it may not have been intended behavior, but it was an interesting feature. There are at least a few instances of ships visiting stars and surviving in science fiction.
jakbruce2012

Postby Deantwo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Haxus wrote:Oh well I thought the slow death was a bug. :oops:

I restored the slow death inside black holes and suns.

It was kinda a bug... well a bug would describe something that doesn't work as intended, and you say what is intended or not. XD
But happy accidents do happen, so I say you make it a feature!

Also, how else are we gonna make sun core cities?

Jokes aside, you might want to do a few things to make the black holes more lethal. For example disallow FTL activation, I am sure we can find other uses for this later too so might as well make it nice. Maybe some hard limit that prevent you from leaving the black hole once you are inside the event horizon, don't know if super strong gravity would be enough. And maybe make an instant kill zone at the very center, just in case all else fails to kill the voyagers.

As for suns, I don't know. The sprite still annoy me when up close to it, but no idea how to make it better.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Minty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 am

Deantwo wrote:For example disallow FTL activation, I am sure we can find other uses for this later too so might as well make it nice.

Ion cannons from FTL, anyone? :D
Minty

Postby Celarious » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am

I'm not sure if death should be slow inside black holes. Maybe inside stars, since the ships we can make can literally cover entire moons, so it'd make sense that they can withstand a star for a few minutes

Just feels a bit weird to be able to land on a black hole and sit there for a bit as you wait for it to happen... Maybe add some sort of effect or movement thing to imply time dilation, if you do intend to keep the slow death?
Celarious

Next

Return to Updates