2018-01-24 Custom Textures, Bugs

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-01-24 Custom Textures, Bugs

Postby Haxus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Custom Textures
All entries in the palette of a new style design can now be custom textures, including the hull material entry. If you override the hull material entry with a custom texture, it will no longer change according to the construction material.

Bounding Box
Bounding box in designer does not change size in response to menu picks when in building design mode. Fixed this and added two more bounding box options:
  • Building Design Limit shows the box in which building designs must fit.
  • Building Site Limit shows the box in which the site meshes of a design must fit.
Crash on Exit
After recent movement smoothing changes, the client started crashing on exit. That is fixed.

Can't Make Female Avatar
Someone reported that they were unable to make a new female avatar. They always got a male. I tested this several times and could not find a problem. I recommend trying again after this update is posted and the servers are restarted. Also, be sure to check the bio page; don't go by the physical appearance of your avatar.

Max Blueprint Size Reduced
The maximum allowed size of a spacecraft blueprint was reduce to 80MB. The entire design including its custom textures must fit within the limit.

Sensor Operator Call Out Direction
Sensor operator now calls out general direction of the target, using clock directions. e.g. 6 o'clock is straight behind, 12 o'clock is straight ahead. He appends the word 'high' or 'low' if the vector to the target is above or below 45 degrees. e.g. 3 o'clock high is starboard and above the ship.

Exit Wormhole Announcement
When arriving via wormhole, the crew no longer says you are approaching the outer reaches of a system.

Invisible Avatar
Avatar mounted on another avatar who goes off line becomes invisible. Fixed. The mounted avatar will no longer be invisible while it is mounted by someone on line.

Animal in Surgery Won't Leave
Animal placed in surgery unit will never leave after it is healed. This should be fixed. The AI doc kicks the animal out if he can do nothing else for it. An animal in a surgery unit with no accompanying doctor will get out.

Tab Select Bug
Clicking a tab in the end space, left of the icon, does not select the tab. If it doesn't close the tab, it doesn't do anything at all. Fixed.

Officer Log Bug
Officer logs were getting created with large counts, instead of just 1. Fixed a bug that was passing the empire id where the count was supposed to go. :oops:

Send Message Button
Comm channels now have a transmit text button next to the clear text button.

Finalize Report
You can now redisplay the result of the last attempt to finalize a design. A new button was added to the menu that says Previous Finalize Result.

Claim Without a Flag
Someone discovered that clicking the ground with any item in hand, not just a flag, would claim the world. That is fixed. You must use a flag.

Can't Stop Spacecraft Factory
A spacecraft factory waiting to spawn a spacecraft could not be stopped. The Stop button was grey. It will now be enabled. I'm not sure what happens when you stop it then. It is possible the materials won't be returned to the city inventory in that case.

Title of Office
Titles of office were permitted to be very large. That is fixed. They now must conform to the same rules as other names.

Empire Cities
The starmap will now show the empire name next to city names, so you don't have to visually match flags.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-01-24 Custom Textures, Bugs

Postby Minty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:04 pm

fantastic!!! i'm always happy to see an update full of quality of life improvements and bug fixes.
Minty

Postby Haxus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 pm

I kind of let time get away from me today. This update will not be posted until tomorrow morning. There are a few lengthy builds left. Due to a version change, none of them can be updated until everybody is ready.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Reinhard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Haxus wrote:Can't Make Female Avatar

Someone reported that they were unable to make a new female avatar. They always got a male. I tested this several times and could not find a problem. I recommend trying again after this update is posted and the servers are restarted. Also, be sure to check the bio page; don't go by the physical appearance of your avatar.

Whenever I make a male avatar it remains female, perhaps you can check the opposite, too, and that's verified via Bio.
Reinhard

Postby Leadphalanx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Ooh, so this means you can have different ships with different texture sets at the same time? Also, any plans on eventually adding support for normal maps?
Leadphalanx

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am

You already could have different ships with different texture palettes at the same time. The difference is that before the change, only one of the palette entries could be a custom texture; the others had to be chosen from the library of built in textures. Now all 15 palette entries can be custom textures.

I could add normal maps. Each normal map would use up one of your texture palette entries. This is due to OpenGL implementations that do not support more than 16 concurrent textures in a shader, I.e. Mac and possibly others.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Vectorus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:05 am

These are good fixes.

Haxus wrote:Animal in Surgery Won't Leave

Nice, but some of my crews are probably being slaughtered right now...perhaps make it manual, rather than an automatic timer? It's a reliable way to restrain troublesome creatures.

Haxus wrote:I could add normal maps

Custom textures are very welcome. If it's on the table, I support adding as many map types as your shaders allow - specular, emissive, ambient etc - and letting players decide how to use the slots. The more useful textures become, the fewer polys people will use: that means it's easier to manipulate designs, quicker to finalize them etc.

What would unlocking texture sizes do, now that we have an overall 80mb size limit? Bigger textures would limit your poly count, and it would all even out. In addition, people can reduce the texture size their client displays, so a large design is more scaleable by the user when it is texture heavy, compared to a geometry-heavy model the same size.
Vectorus

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 am

What would unlocking texture sizes do

I started to do this but held back because of the amount of memory that quickly gets consumed. Many ships using a lot of different custom textures could use a lot of memory.

A 256x256 texture, the current limit, takes .25MB to store. Increasing that to 512x512 bumps it up to 1MB per texture. Fifteen custom textures of that size gobbles up a quick 15MB, vs 3.75MB at the smaller size. That has to be downloaded to every person who encounters the ship design. Client settings could be configured to use reduced texture sizes, to save on video RAM, but that would not reduce the download size.

On the server side, the uncompressed design for every active ship in a server's domain must be loaded concurrently. Each server handles a lot of space so that could add up to a large amount of RAM.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 am

speaking of QOL improvements for the designer, any plans for adding hotkeys for many of the buttons in it? :D
Minty

Postby Haxus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 am

There are lots of things that can be done to the designer to make it better. I expect the designer to be continuously improved over time.

At present the designer is still at the utilitarian/functional stage, able to get the job done, though not always elegantly. It is off to a great start and I don't anticipate significant changes to the foundation that has been laid. It is really well set up to grow and mature.

It's the sort of thing that could easily be handed over to a lower level programmer to have fun with for a while. If I had the luxury of income, I might hire one.

We are getting closer. Each month we get a little closer to covering the cost of our server expenses. That would be an epic milestone to achieve.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates