2018-01-20 Janky Mouse Movement

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2018-01-20 Janky Mouse Movement

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Janky Mouse Movement
The title says it all. You WILL notice a difference.

This update is for expert700, who has persisted in reminding me to put some attention into this. The squeaking wheel gets the oil, right?

I have ground through that code a zillion times over the years, trying to make it smoother. While lying sick in my chair yesterday, I was dwelling on expert700's most recent outcry. A glimmer of inspiration came to me.

I got up immediately and started working on it in a mad frenzy, spent way too many hours on it, late into the evening last night, and got it working just enough to see how good it could be. Lingering frustrating problems forced my exhausted brain to stop before it was done.

With a fresh mind this morning, I found that I was far more than just one bug away from getting it to work. I am glad I quit when I did. Now it works.

This update is a big change to the client program, diverging away from some architecture that has been in place since day one. A server update is not needed so each client can be posted one by one. I will start with the Win64 client when it is done building, to test the water before diving into a big build of all clients.

On my computer, the best final result was obtained by turning the mouse smoothing slider to the minimum, its new default value. The setting could probably just be eliminated. It didn't cause a problem; it just doesn't seem to be needed. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who still finds the mouse smoothing setting to be useful after this update. It should be removed if it is not needed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2018-01-20 Janky Mouse Movement

Postby expert700 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Haxus wrote:Janky Mouse Movement
The title says it all. You WILL notice a difference.

-snip-

Thank you so very much for finally fixing the mouse movement. I can't wait to get home and try it! It really was one of the biggest remaining problems with the user experience in Hazeron.
expert700

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Take your time. I was a bit hasty.

When testing I ran into a few issues that I am still working out, nuisances not major problems. I'll post an update when its really ready.

That might not be until Monday now, given the time today.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby expert700 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Haxus wrote:Take your time. I was a bit hasty.

When testing I ran into a few issues that I am still working out, nuisances not major problems. I'll post an update when its really ready.

That might not be until Monday now, given the time today.

EDIT: If you saw this, disregard what I said. I was just being stupid.
expert700

Postby ResonKinetic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:05 pm

E X C I T E ! ! !
ResonKinetic

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 pm

EDIT: If you saw this, disregard what I said. I was just being stupid.

Yeah, that's what I get for posting to fill time while things build. :oops:

At this point, single player mode is quite good. Multi player is giving some grief, I suspect due to the client side movement code that lets you move smoothly without waiting for a server response. Something is happening out of sequence there.

My internal metabolic meters have been returning to the green steadily all day. I feel pretty good now. It was great to go out for some excellent Mexican food and cervezas at one of our favorite local cantinas tonight, way better than another bowl of cereal. :D

The step away from the terminal helped me to realize a new strategy that could help, only a slight tweak to what is there now. After having a little unscheduled vacation this week, I will likely tear into this again tomorrow. I feel that sense of grim determination setting in; the one that gets things done, no matter what.

Do you hear that, metabolism? Suck it up and stop whining. Time to get slogging.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Have some video testing of pre-patch movement attempts:

Can get somewhat close to good input with practice except when Hazeron starts dropping input and then overcorrection ends up inevitably happening.

Will see what the new patch brings when its up.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Deantwo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 am

Mouse movement works great in Primeval World.
There is however indeed still a tiny bit of weirdness with mouse movement in online game, it seems better though.

So the issue is likely in the client-server communication. To that I would say, does the server need to always know exactly what direction an avatar is looking? Can't the client just tell the server once in a while?
Then again this might be a general problem with how the server controls the movement, and I don't know how it works or should work, so what do I know. ^^;
Last edited by Deantwo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Greydog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:20 am

Honestly, I can't say I've ever had any issues with mouse movement in this game. It's always been very smooth for me.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Haxus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

That slight change took care of the problem. I have tested online and solo; both are working great. I am about to start that Windows build again.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates