The appearance of character selection screen for some of the games I know:
EVE online (3,128 kB)

Lineage 2 (2,905 kB)

World of Warcraft (3,634 kB)
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Re: 2018-01-16 Free Avatars, Game Startup, Teleport Invite

Postby Slaxx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:16 pm

to be honest, id like it more if empires wouldnt immediately consider free avatars as hostile and rather as neutral.
Slaxx

Postby Deantwo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Slaxx wrote:to be honest, id like it more if empires wouldnt immediately consider free avatars as hostile and rather as neutral.

It would be nice yeah. But it would open up for a lot of exploits...
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 pm

I'll bet those multi million dollar earning games have a few artists on staff.

I don't even make enough to pay my server bill every month.

We will have to continue with clean and efficient for a while longer.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:01 pm

So do you have a real 3D avatar in Eve, or is it just a photo?

Boy that would make it easy, huh?
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Haxus wrote:So do you have a real 3D avatar in Eve, or is it just a photo?

Boy that would make it easy, huh?

They actually have both.
The 3D avatar is just not used for anything else than taking a new profile picture.

But if they ever figure out how to do "walking in stations", maybe they will see more use. They have however failed at that at least once.

That is one of my favorite things about Hazeron, the ability to walk around in my spacecraft/space-station.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

The 3D avatar is just not used for anything else than taking a new profile picture.

So they don't really have them then. :lol:

I see many games advertised on television with fantastic graphics, that only exist in the TV commercial. Then you see a tiny screen shot of the app at the end. Why isn't that fraud?

What would you do if you paid to see a movie based on the previews, only to find the preview was a wildly fantastic exaggeration of the movie, you know, just to get more people to go?

For those with no imagination, you see an awesome preview of the latest Star Wars movie, with blazing graphics and thundering sound effects. At the theater it turns out to be a puppet show.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Haxus wrote:

I see many games advertised on television with fantastic graphics, that only exist in the TV commercial. Then you see a tiny screen shot of the app at the end. Why isn't that fraud?

What would you do if you paid to see a movie based on the previews, only to find the preview was a wildly fantastic exaggeration of the movie, you know, just to get more people to go?

For those with no imagination, you see an awesome preview of the latest Star Wars movie, with blazing graphics and thundering sound effects. At the theater it turns out to be a puppet show.

that would honestly be the funniest fucking joke they could ever pull and i wish disney was ballsy enough to do it
Minty

Postby AnrDaemon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:18 am

Haxus wrote:I'll bet those multi million dollar earning games have a few artists on staff.

I don't even make enough to pay my server bill every month.

We will have to continue with clean and efficient for a while longer.

This is not a question of nice drawings. Rather, it's pure functionality and usability.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby AnrDaemon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 am

Haxus wrote:

Well, they actually do have them. But their use is limited to a small "captains quarters" conceptual environment.
The reason is simple: they just did not have resources to implement the feature on any satisfactory level, spread the development time thin and failed a number of updates in a year.
After which, the company CEO had to post a public apology explaining the issues they had faced and lessons they have learned.
Since then, the development of the game became more focused, and so far the progress is mostly satisfactory.

I see many games advertised on television with fantastic graphics

Every time I hear that wording, I make a mental note "this game has nothing else to offer, so it has to resort to eyecandy arguments".

Not a fair compare. Movies already have the presentational value built in and just cut the best looking scenes for the adverticement. Games, on the other hand… not all games could possible be presented on TV.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

PreviousNext

Return to Updates