Re: 2017-12-21 Roads, Fires, Craters

Postby TestAccount » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm

First glue guns, now soldering irons...
In game name: Etgfrog
TestAccount

Postby Haxus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Population Growth
Residents of new buildings come from indigenous people moving into them and they come from travellers when connected via air/space.

Now residents can come from the population of all buildings and old cities on the planet, attributed to newborns. The standard gestation rate is one baby per pair of people every nine days. This roughly matches the gestation rate of humans, at game time scale with 28 game days per real day. The maximum rate of population growth is one person per second, achieved when the population exceeds 1.5M people.

This does not create excess population. It merely determines the rate at which buildings can get residents attributed to newborns. Buildings only acquire residents when they have empty homes.

Road/Ground Connections
Road/ground connections between roads, buildings and old cities should work correctly now.

The 500m walking distance connection, posted previously, no longer applies.

Roads are connected if either end is anywhere along the length of another road, within 10m of the edge/end of the road segment. That is a fairly generous margin and should make road connections easy. Two long roads that form an X are not connected.

Buildings are treated exactly like a circular patch of road that is large enough to contain the building site. The same 10m margin applies. Buildings interconnect with roads and other buildings.

Buildings and roads interconnect when first built. Construction does not have to be completed to make the connection. Buildings under construction can import materials from connected buildings immediately upon placing them on the terrain.

Old city roads and buildings interconnect with new buildings and roads using this same approach. If a new building or road finds that it can connect to any building or road in an old city, then the entire city is connected.

A city could be made of nothing but buildings. That is what will be required if you want a moon base with enclosed road sections and intersections. Those should be made of some kind of building. I recommend a tunnel or tube shape.

A road could then depart the edge of that moon base to go to another similar moon base and every building in each base would be interconnected with each other.

If a building interconnects with a wharf, it has sea access. A building with sea access will interconnect with all other buildings on the world that also have sea access.

If a building interconnects with an airport, it has air/space access. A building with air/space access will interconnect with all other buildings in the solar system that also have air/space access.

No bird cage enclosure will be generated over new buildings or roads in hostile environments. That appearance is left to you. I eagerly look forward some day to removing the code that generates the bird cage. The same applies to biodomes. Once they can be built as a building structure, the automatic generation of them will cease. One of the domes off the Atlantis would make a fine start for a biodome.

Barring any critical events, this will be the last update before Christmas. I will log on when the servers come up and just play the game, so as to avoid breaking anything for a few days. The roads and connections should make building a city using the new buildings feasible.

Next will be the capitol building, so the ramshackle collection of buildings can become a proper city.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:35 pm

After some building, the 10m margin does not seem so generous. It will be expanded, probably closer to 50m.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:18 am

Haxus wrote:After some building, the 10m margin does not seem so generous. It will be expanded, probably closer to 50m.

How are we able to see if a building is connected to anything?

First idea that comes to mind is a new overlay on the top-down view. Little icon over all buildings and the endpoints of roads, a solar system icon if it is connected to space, wave/coastal icon when connected to a wharf. Then if it is only connected by road to some other buildings, a icon with a road and an ID number might be the easiest. The ID number would be per connection network so we can see that two disjointed cities/buildings aren't connected.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:09 am

To me, 10 meters is quite enough.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Deantwo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 am

AnrDaemon wrote:To me, 10 meters is quite enough.

We still don't have a way to measure distance on the map or terrain, so how do you know?

And I am sure we are talking about from center of building to center of building or end of road. So if buildings are 10 meters wide, they have to overlap in order to be close enough to each other.
Or are you just saying you want roads to be totally required?
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Mr. Mortius » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm not sure 10 meters, or even 50 meters, is enough considering we can create 200x200 meter sites. If the distances are center to center, even one of these buildings directly adjacent to a road will not be considered connected.
Mr. Mortius

Postby Deantwo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:46 am

It'll work if it is 10 meters plus the radius of the building.
But like I said, I have no way to measure distance, so I don't know how far 10 meters or 50 meters actually is.
And we will still need a way to see if buildings/roads we are placing will be connected to other buildings and roads nearby.
Deantwo

Postby AnrDaemon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:16 pm

10 meters between the buildings.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

PreviousNext

Return to Updates