2017-12-14 Stores and Light Sources

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-12-14 Stores and Light Sources

Postby Haxus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 am

Stores
Buildings with stores or lounges will now show a Store page on the Building window. The store page is used to purchase individual items from the store.
  • The building blueprint must include a store or a lounge to have a store.
  • Some industries do not open stores or lounges, even if they are in the blueprint.
  • Buildings with a store sell what they have in their inventory.
  • Buildings with a lounge sell the kinds of things you can buy at a cantina.
Light Sources
Lighting in the SoH scene has always been provided by three suns and up to five point light sources, for your personal light, ships, vehicles, items and effects. The original eight light sources were so limited because OpenGL 1.0 glLight function supported eight.
The SoH lighting code stayed relatively unchanged for many years. That led to some oddities like seeing two torches on a wall while only one of them gave off light, inability to use your suit light while riding a motor bike, etc. In particular, it bothered me when I put candles in two candelabra in the wardroom of Richeldis' ship and only one of the candles emitted light.
For years all lighting in SoH has been calculated using SoH shaders. That old limit has no influence other than its residual pattern in some code.
The following changes were made to improve lighting from point light sources. Lighting from suns is unchanged.
  • Changed the way point light sources are managed so they are allocated more efficiently. Previously they each had designated roles; this often left one or more lights unused when they could have been used by light sources in the scene.
  • Increased the default number of point light sources to eight. This is probably sufficient for most scenes you will ever see in SoH.
  • Added a scene setting to configure the maximum number of point light sources. The range is 3 to 80. SoH program must be restarted if you change the setting.
  • Frame rate linearly/uniformly degrades as the number of light sources increases.
In a dense forest with 20 light sources configured and 20 fires burning, I saw no noticeable frame rate reduction on my computer. This led me to increase the maximum to the ludicrous number of 80. There was about a 20% reduction in frame rate with 80 lights, even though I did not create 80 lights in my scene, just due to some basic overhead. At a little less than 100 lights, my computer started spitting out shader compiler errors because the memory space allocated for shader parameters was exceeded.

Building Inventory Storage Limit
The storage limit at the new buildings is now per commodity, the way it is at cities. This prevents bottlenecks because storage is full of one thing when they are trying to manufacture another.

Population Limits
I reversed course on the population limits at the new buildings. There are no more population limits for the new buildings. For now, we will wait and see how many is too many before causing resource or performance issues. If it is relatively easy to create problems by constructing too many buildings, then perhaps a limit to the number of buildings will be needed.

Space Marine Barracks
A new military building type was added, the Space Marine Barracks. It accumulates a population of troops that are not used to fill jobs at military buildings. Instead, they provide a ready source of troops for fleet ships.

Police Academy
A new city building type was added, the Police Academy. It accumulates a population of troops that are not used to fill jobs at civilian buildings. Instead, they provde a ready source of troops for company ships.

Hull Material Requirement
A constant used in the calculation of hull material for the new designs was changed. Hull material requirements for ship and building designs will now be generally about 25% of what they were. This directly impacts construction/manufacturing time, which will probably also be about 25% of what it was.

Crew Pay
All references to crew pay were removed from spacecraft and NPCs. This was an unfinished feature that represented a level of detail that most players really don't want to deal with. It is gone.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-12-14 Stores and Light Sources

Postby Haxus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

I think the next push will be to get new roads working to interconnect the new buildings. I will make them interconnect with the roads of existing cities too.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Trusin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 am

While I agree paying the crew was meh, I feel like we should at least have to keep them fed. Maybe even Have a crew happines factor, similar to pops on planets, if they have access to certain things like multiple types of foods, boos, etc.. The happier they are the faster they respond. IE an unhappy crew will take longer to get to their station or repair things, or miss more in combat. Ect...
Trusin

Postby Deantwo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:02 am

Haxus wrote:Light Sources

This seems to have fixed the darkness aboard spacecraft when using suit light.
No more darkness whenever I have a visitor over!

Haxus wrote:Crew Pay
All references to crew pay were removed from spacecraft and NPCs. This was an unfinished feature that represented a level of detail that most players really don't want to deal with. It is gone.

I agree that it wasn't all that interesting. But most because we have too easy access to money that it didn't matter at all.
I do think a new limit for officers would be nice, but no idea what that would be.
Last edited by Deantwo on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby QuakeIV » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

I'd vaguely suggest 'private security academy' or somesuch since I think that would fit slightly better.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.

Vae Victus
QuakeIV

Postby Deantwo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 am

QuakeIV wrote:I'd vaguely suggest 'private security academy' or somesuch since I think that would fit slightly better.

Yeah I agree, not sure police academy makes sense.
Also there is already the police station, why not just use that if you want to use police as company/private troops? Rename it to public security, so it is more generic than police.

Wait, you made police stations have that jurisdiction thing... mmmh.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:59 pm

The police academy name will likely change. I agree it doesn't quite fit. It was a struggle. Private security academy sounds the best so far.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Just remove it. What the reason to have two troop providing facilities?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby jakbruce2012 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks like some very nice changes. I'll definitely play around with light sources at some point now.
Crew pay had no purpose, RIP.
It's nice to have seperate troops for fleet and company craft, so that the new guy to an empire cannot just load all troops from the city leaving it defenseless, or leaving no troops for official use.
From a system complexity standpoint fewer, bigger buildings would definitely be better. And if you can feed, house, and keep brething 50000 citizens in a few arcology type buildings,then why not?
jakbruce2012

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:08 am

Solving social issues with technical measures never worked before, and will unlikely work in the future.
"New player recruiting all troops, leaving city defenseless" is a social issue.
Since all city defenses are those troops already deployed at stations, not those available in academy, and already deployed troops can't be recruited. They can be reassigned (to fleet spacecraft, for example), but then their posts will be filled from academy on the first come-first served basis.
I don't see an issue.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Return to Updates