2017-12-09 Storage and Bug Fixes

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-12-09 Storage and Bug Fixes

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Example of showing resource zone base % and actual count of resources at location.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby AnrDaemon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Haxus wrote:From a computer resource standpoint, I like seeing one building run 80 processes. That is much better than 10 large buildings running 8 processes each.

From a computer standpoint, there's no difference. If there's any, then something is fundamentally flawed in the lower level. There should be no "buildings run processes", processes should be linked to their storage, that's all that is necessary and sufficient for them to run.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 pm

It makes a difference if the computer has to draw eight times as many buildings.

Processes do have a fundamental relationship to the building that runs them. Constantly changing daylight conditions at the building determine the availability of sunlight for farming processes and workers. Power at the building determines if workers work at night. The damage condition of the building determines its ability to run processes at all. The building accumulates the workers who run those processes. The building provides storage for the output of its processes. When that building is destroyed, the materials stored there are also destroyed.

Atomic objects like cities and buildings get processed by separate threads of execution. Many buildings running their processes in separate threads is much better than one city running all of the processes for every building in town in one go, even if the work to "run" each manufacturing process is trivial.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Minty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm

One issue with this system is that every change to the buildings themselves has to happen in the building designer. Is there any reason why buildings don't have some sort of refit page, like spacecraft, so you could modify them from their published defaults? Like, say, you place the same building in two places, but the second time, maybe you don't need as many houses in it, and would like more... offices, or whatever. It seems like currently, the only way to fix that would be to go into the designer and make a whole new version.

...Disregard this if there is a refit page, and I just somehow missed it. I haven't been able to play with the new buildings too much.
Minty

Postby Deantwo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 am

Ikkir Isth wrote:Image

Example of showing resource zone base % and actual count of resources at location.

While we are at the topic. It would be nice if the selected process became a requirement for placement, rather than randomly selecting a resource from the location. This has annoyed me for ages.

For example if I select for the mine to mine for ore, I want to only be able to place it where there is ore.
Add a separate option for "automatically select resource process based on availability" to mimic old behavior.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Previous

Return to Updates