2017-12-06 Claims, Buildings and Bugs

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-12-06 Claims, Buildings and Bugs

Postby Haxus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

This update is dedicated to the following cartoon, originally posted here by Vectorus.

Claims
Don't throw away your flags, a land claim mechanic was added. It affects building construction rules and conquest. Here are the details.
  • Anyone can claim a world for their empire.
    • Use the avatar command Claim World; the default key binding is Alt+W.
    • You must have a flag in hand as your current item.
    • You cannot claim a world that has an alien military HQ.
    • You cannot claim a world that is already claimed by your empire, a friend empire, or a vassal empire. That is based on your empire's stance toward them.
    • Attempting to claim a world that is already claimed by a neutral empire results in a message, which starts a one minute timer. If you claim it again within that minute, the claim is yours.
  • You can quit a claim to a world.
    • Use the avatar command Quit Claim; the default key binding is Alt+Q.
    • The world must be claimed by your empire.
    • It cannot be unclaimed if you have a military HQ there.
    • A person in the chain of command of the world can unclaim it.
    • You can quit your own claim if no capitol has been built.
  • World rename is now permitted by the person who claimed it, if their empire still has the claim. It can also be renamed by anyone who is in the chain of command of the world, in the empire of the claim.
  • Flags were not restored to the list of construction materials.
Claims slightly change the build rules for buildings. Here they are.
    Civilian - Applies to most buildings. Cannot be built on worlds claimed by an alien empire. Cannot be built in the police jurisdiction of an alien city.
    Military HQ - Can only be built on worlds claimed by your empire.
    Military - Military buildings can only be built on worlds with an empire military HQ.
    Capitol - Cannot be built on worlds claimed by an alien empire. Cannot be built in the police jurisdiction of an existing city.
    Police - Police departments create a radius of jurisdiction and they must be built in the jurisdiction of an empire police department or they must be built where an empire capitol building is in their jurisdiction.
    City - Must be built in the jurisdiction of an empire police department.
Buildings interconnect as soon as they are placed on the terrain while still under construction, including wharfs and airports. They have immediate access to import construction materials and workers via those connections. That first moon base will be much easier to build now. Likewise when building a wharf elsewhere on your world to get a new town started.

This eliminates a well known situation where the new emperor flies to the moon in their rocket for the first time. They start to build a colony, then discover that they have to bring all the materials. They return to their world, only to be faced with the challenge of buying all the materials needed to get their moon base going.

Having to bring all the materials is a fun challenge. However, that challenge can now wait until you are ready to colonize a different solar system. The colonization of your beginning system will be much easier.

Buildings
Here are some things that were finished or fixed on new buildings.
  • Terrain update was fixed when building on a world without an old style city.
  • A mine blueprint with no shop is permitted, to make it easier for stone age people to get started. A mine with no shop is only allowed to do one thing, mine stone. Various bits of code were changed to enforce this limitation on mines. The Quarry design in the exchange is one of these.
  • Buildings with homes will now fill with citizens.
    • New population comes from the environment on habitable worlds and from connections to air/space.
    • The rate of immigration from the environment is four citizens per game day. That's one every 12 minutes.
    • The rate of immigration by air/space is the same on a home world. It goes down on other worlds based on various factors, mainly related to how bad the living conditions on the world are.
    • There is no way yet to offload passengers to a new building.
  • Buildings with construction or manufacturing jobs will now employ citizens to work those jobs. People are employed from all connected buildings, enabling people to live in one city and work in another.
  • Building window now shows a Building tab at every building site, with information about the building. It shows number of inhabitants, how many of them are employed, how many workers are at the building, commodities and fuel stored at the building, and other useful information.
  • Buildings will now import power from generator buildings that are connected by ground.
  • Fields as part of a blueprint will no longer require a shovel as a construction requirement. Instead, a shovel is added as a time saving component. The requirement for a shovel made that first farm difficult to build if there were no trees in the area.
  • Nothing about buildings happens at 13 minute intervals. Each building goes about its business independently.
Spacecraft Manufacture Quality Bug
Manufacture of spacecraft was setting the quality of all new systems to 1, regardless of the patents available. This was fixed. The bug is introduced when the new ship is created. Those in the process of being manufactured should be ok when they get made.

Ship Blueprint Kills Server
I did some work to fix a bug that caused the server to lock when attempting to create some ships. I am waiting for the server restart to test the results of this.

Cannot Upgrade Capacitor Module
The capacitor module in a ship could not be upgraded because the user interface for requesting an upgrade did not list the capacitor system as an option. The system is now listed; we'll see if they install the module. The code at that end was pretty generic; what could possibly go wrong?

Capacitor System Upgrade Bug
When looking at the capacitor panel with a capacitor module in hand, the cursor did not indicate that it could be installed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-12-06 Claims, Buildings and Bugs

Postby Minty » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm

man, the idea of my citizens commuting every day via spaceship and whatever is cool as hell and makes the world feel just a little more real

now i kinda want that wharf connection thing just so we can see the ships and shuttles taking commuters along! :D
Minty

Postby Greydog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm

How are city reports going to work? ..will they still be on a 13 min cycle?

The addition of a "City Administrator" npc could be helpful.

This NPC would work out of City Hall and could be called up at any time via the cities window and give you access to each cities management ui from where ever you are at the moment.

If you could figure out another way to track a cities history, you could do away with city reports all together.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Shores of Hazeron Repository
Greydog

Postby Trusin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm

or travel time of workers could take away from daily production. So you would have to design your cities well to maximize efficiency. Could also incorporate mass transit systems to speed things up? Busses? hover-rails? subways?
Trusin

Postby Haxus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm

I forgot to mention that old style cities are not in any way affected by the claim mechanics. That could change if needed. I would prefer that they just go away.

When the new buildings are ready, you won't be able to build old style town squares at all.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm

On city reports, I intend for the capitol building to respond to requests for a report.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Sylin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Hey Haxus, I'd asked in another thread how the changes were working. I'm playing on the PvE server and noticed the classic airport isn't grabbing resources from another world in the same system.

Are these changes live, and is there a trick to making them work?
Sylin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Pretty sure crashed a server while building a bunch of new buildings. Also, cant appear to swap quarry/mine to actually mine ore.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby jakbruce2012 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I tried building a bit with the new buildings in an empty solar system. I cannot figure out how to get any materials to it. The ship cannot sell to nearby cities, and the mine will not pick up stone dropped on it's pad for construction.
jakbruce2012

Postby Xsnip3rX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Martok in limbo again.
Chancellor Martok of The Klingon Empire
Xsnip3rX

Next

Return to Updates