2017-11-27 Status Buildings

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-11-27 Status Buildings

Postby pizzasgood » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Chiefwaffles wrote:If the defender can build unlimited military structures around the planet

We currently cannot build unlimited military structures, and I don't believe Haxus said anything about changing that.

Chiefwaffles wrote:I'd imagine that conquering players generally would want to participate in awesome invasions - even if they're the only player involved - where they have to outsmart, outgun, and/or just generally outplay the defenses.

Yes. I did a bit of that back in U3 when I decided to make a new character, steal a low level ship, and see how much I could get done without really building my own infrastructure. It was the most fun I've ever had in SoH.
Adapt or die.
pizzasgood

Postby xaritscin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:48 pm

nice work there Haxus. the whole new system left me with some questions tho:

1. does this mean that its possible to make underwater cities?

2. does this mean that there's no longer underground lvls for buildings? (like it happened with mines)

3. will this new system allow players to colonize gas giants?

and finally

4. will the new platforms interact with non terran planets? i mean, like building above Lava or Hydrocarbon oceans.
xaritscin

Postby Onepercent » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 pm

xaritscin wrote:nice work there Haxus. the whole new system left me with some questions tho:

1. does this mean that its possible to make underwater cities?

2. does this mean that there's no longer underground lvls for buildings? (like it happened with mines)

3. will this new system allow players to colonize gas giants?

and finally

4. will the new platforms interact with non terran planets? i mean, like building above Lava or Hydrocarbon oceans.

1. We have been able to build under LIQUID cities for several months now (underwater, under lava, under frigid liquids)

2. The new update states that levels are removed but you can still build compartments underground, like bunkers if you wish

3. Gas giants have been recently updated and you can already fly into them, take a spaceship worthy of extreme pressure or use a submarine, you can also build cities and mine new resources even with the old cities.

4. I don't see why not, if you can supply energy to keep platforms stationary, it should be able to be built on any planet type.
Onepercent

Postby Deantwo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am

Now that I have a new phone, I can finally write a reply to this thread.

If resource zones are gonna stop affecting cities, please don't merge the population cap. Anr has mentioned before that population caps are too high, most of all because the population cap is multiplied by the number of resource zones.
Make us actually have to worry about the population cap.

The new "capture" mechanics sound scary. More fun for the attacker I guess, but the defender will have no time to react at all if he isn't online. The current capture mechanics barely allows for defender recapture.
"Newbie-stomping" will also be also too easy. If new players don't get a Military HQ built right away, any other empire can scroll by and toss one down to capture their whole city without even firing a shot.

If building destruction is gonna be permanent, we need a imprint or something to remain behind or else rebuilding after an attack will be hell. Maybe leave ruins behind when a building is destroyed, allow us to rebuild the building to almost the same state it was before. Ruins could also be left behind after decay.
Ruins should probably stay for a week or longer, allowing explorers to find them. Could allow explorers to find bits of information about the city, such as the original owner, time of founding, time and reason for destruction. The idea of finding ruins of a civilization that can give you hints about the empire that wiped them out would be cool and useful.

Collision damage to buildings should maybe be removed. Right now it is possible to destroy buildings with a gigantic spacecraft simply by ramming them. This has the exploitable advantage of not even declaring war. If buildings are immune to collision damage but can still damage what collide with them, it will make us still stay clear of them when piloting but remove the chance of harming the city.
I can't think of any gameplay reason for buildings to take damage from collision.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Mr. Mortius » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:57 am

I mostly agree with what Dean has posted, with the major exception of not combining population caps. Planets are already mostly empty at the moment, and I don’t see any reason to limit all of us to even smaller zones, especially with the better performance of new buildings. I don’t know about everyone else, but I would thoroughly enjoy creating large cities in the new system in the form of arcologies for instance, rather than being limited to small towns which can’t use the new potential of the designer to the fullest. I often find myself building right up to the population limit too, with a single job less than the number of homes, in order to produce the new ship designs, which are major resource sinks. Because of the increased resource demands from new ship designs and a static population cap, I don’t believe that population limits are too high anymore (if they ever were in the first place).
Mr. Mortius

Previous

Return to Updates