2017-11-08 Bug Fixes and Minor Improvements

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-11-08 Bug Fixes and Minor Improvements

Postby Haxus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am

Life Support Status
When a ship answers a hail on the Crew or a Fleet channel, which should include its own ship named channel, it will now mention if the life support system is down. That information is important because it means a person cannot recall to a berth aboard that ship.

Storage Device List Name
Storage devices will now show their inscription when listed.

Natural Resources Commodity Category
A new Natural Resources category was added to the commodity filter. It includes all inorganic commodities that can be directly extracted from the environment, even if a building or other equipment is required.

Computer Effect on Armor Production
Computers decreased time when making metal body armor but computers increased quantity when making metal helmets. Fixed inconsistencies between several armor production processes. Computers now decrease time on all of them.

Cancel Spacecraft Order Bug
When canceling an order to build a spacecraft, the order does not disappear from the list until I relog. That should be fixed.

Default Tax Percentages
To reduce some initial confusion when a newbie starts an empire, the tax percentages are now set to sensible values when a new empire is created. They are: Income 10%, Sales 5%, and Subsidy 2.5%.

Launcher
Updated the icon for launching the new designer. Updated tool tips to discourage use of the old designers. They won't be around much longer.

Adamantine Buildings
You should be able to construct buildings using adamantine now. This work is in progress. If you crash a server trying to make an adamantine building, don't do it eight times just to be sure.

Adamantine Construction Material
Adamantine should now be listed as a construction material in relevant places.

Building Designer
New building designer is in progress. It is not available in this update. I'm only mentioning this so you know where a large amount of my time has been spent this week.
  • Designer lacks some new part objects needed to describe the building site. Otherwise it is complete.
  • The way cities are built and grow is about to change dramatically.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-11-08 Bug Fixes and Minor Improvements

Postby Ikkir Isth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Haxus wrote:Building Designer
New building designer is in progress. It is not available in this update. I'm only mentioning this so you know where a large amount of my time has been spent this week.
  • Designer lacks some new part objects needed to describe the building site. Otherwise it is complete.
  • The way cities are built and grow is about to change dramatically.

Seriously consider multiple products per process when doing new buildings as well, theres several places it could be used.

Example - wells: Instead of placing down a well and toggling between oil and nat gas and water, place down your well/extractor building/whatever and show what it will harvest on placement as icons next to it:

Other uses - mines (variable mining processes, with stone + whatever else is there), animal processing (skin, meat, bones), electrolysis (hydrogen, water), etc.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Xsnip3rX » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Did you get the module installation bug fixed?
Chancellor Martok of The Klingon Empire
Xsnip3rX

Postby Deantwo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Haxus wrote:Adamantine Buildings
You should be able to construct buildings using adamantine now. This work is in progress. If you crash a server trying to make an adamantine building, don't do it eight times just to be sure.

Building Designer

Do you have anything planned for construction material's effect on new building designs?
An interesting idea would be to limit the height of a building design depending on the construction materials.

For example a simple ~4 story house could be made out of any construction material, but an average skyscraper has to be built of metal or better. Then adamantine could even reach up to space almost if you want to go crazy.

Not saying it should limit a building design's size, just height. So you can make large factory complex that can be built using lumber, but it takes up a lot of land real estate because it isn't very tall. But an established empire with access to more advanced construction materials can make equally efficient building that take up less land real estate because they are taller than they are wide.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Slaxx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Haxus wrote:[*]The way cities are built and grow is about to change dramatically.[/list]

oh shit. the way cities are built and grow changes dramatically?
cant wait for this. i became bored of the current way of building cities.
Slaxx

Postby Vectorus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 am

Deantwo wrote:For example a simple ~4 story house could be made out of any construction material, but an average skyscraper has to be built of metal or better.

The limit would have to be fairly generous, I think.

&c. Pre-modern buildings without steel and concrete top out at about 410 feet. I reckon that's about 65 feet taller than our current vulcium buildings. That's not to knock your idea - there's no reason why vulcium shouldn't take you to 3000 feet. But 4 storeys is too short for stone. It shouldn't be artificially difficult, nor should it require post space-age technology, to make beautiful buildings, and scale - not least verticality - is an important part of architectural beauty. New, detailed models will make it much more obvious when the scale is truncated.

More importantly though, should we really encourage players to think of taller as better? At the moment, even the largest city, all stone, covers just a tiny fraction of a planet's surface. "Inhabited" worlds are vast wastelands with at most three little oases of civilization. I believe it's hugely important that homeworlds feel full to bursting, genuinely different from remote colonies. There need to be hamlets, villages and towns; valleys rich with fields, mountains clustered with quarries; bridges, castles and harbours; cities that stretch to the horizon. They have to suggest thousands of years of continuous cultivation and settlement. The whole landscape on such a world should be intimately shaped by human/Zbojoloid agency.

There's so much space in this game. You could probably fit every AAA open-world game of the last 5 years onto one arc of a 20 arc ringworld. All that needs to be used for something. I really hope Haxus' new systems move us toward that goal.
Last edited by Vectorus on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vectorus

Postby Deantwo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 am

Vectorus wrote:
Deantwo wrote:For example a simple ~4 story house could be made out of any construction material, but an average skyscraper has to be built of metal or better.

The limit would have to be fairly generous, I think.
That's not to knock your idea - there's no reason why vulcium shouldn't take you to 3000 feet. But 4 storeys is too short for stone.
More importantly though, should we really encourage players to think of taller as better? At the moment, even the largest city, all stone, covers just a tiny fraction of a planet's surface.

I was just using that as an example, and by "any construction material" I of course meant lumber and wood too.
Wouldn't want it as a huge limiter, but maybe just a way to limit huge wooden space tower. And it would give a sense of advancement.

Tall verses wide is a common way of displaying advancement, utilizing the land real estate better. Most of all this makes a difference on small islands, but other than that it is just a fun gimmick idea I had.

Vectorus wrote:"Inhabited" worlds are vast wastelands with at most three little oases of civilization. I believe it's hugely important that homeworlds feel full to bursting, genuinely different from remote colonies. There need to be hamlets, villages and towns; valleys full of fields, mountains clustered with quarries; bridges, castles and harbous; cities that stretch to the horizon. They have to suggest thousands of years of continuous cultivation and settlement. The whole landscape on such a world should be intimately shaped by human/Zbojoloid agency.

I have talked about this subject for a few years. Feel free to comment in the idea thread I have.
Here: (Idea thread) PvE - Camps, Nests, Hives, Ruins
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Phenoix12 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Vectorus wrote:There need to be hamlets, villages and towns; valleys rich with fields, mountains clustered with quarries; bridges, castles and harbours; cities that stretch to the horizon.

I would LOVE to see this sort of thing set in. Rather then just basically one city per resourse zone (I know you can do more but most just really do one per zone do to the limitations of resourse zones) it be great if there was some system for having a multitude of villages and such spread out over the world.

You can kinda already do it in a way by just building roads and such that streach far away from the base city and building out there but having some kind of actual system for it would be nice. Though the real problem with it would be the maximum world pops...

Though this sort of reminded me of an idea I had for further subdeviding planets down with latitudinal divions as well as the longitudinal ones to the resourse zones. If that could even work.
Phenoix12

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Phenoix12 wrote:I would LOVE to see this sort of thing set in.

Go ahead and do it. Nothing stops you.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Return to Updates