2017-11-03 Database Rollback

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-11-03 Database Rollback

Postby Haxus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Database Rollback
I apologize most sincerely for a devastating error that forces me to rollback the database to the backup made Nov 2 03:07 UTC. The data created since then, in the form of cities, avatars and ships, will be lost. That is far exceeded by the amount of data that was going to be lost as a consequence of my error. Many many cities in the universe were decaying rapidly with no good way to save them because most refineries stopped making air.

Luckily, that database backup was made as I posted the server update yesterday morning. It is the best case scenario, if that is far enough back to recover from the error. Lucky because I don't always backup the database when posting a server update. If that is not far enough back, the next backup is more than 30 hours before that.

These things will happen:
  • Cities created since that time will no longer exist even though you may still have old mail from them.
  • Avatars created since that time will no longer exist even though they will appear on your list when you login. Once you are sure they do not exist, you should delete the entry.
Wormhole PN and PNN Patent Bug
I took this unwanted restart as an opportunity to fix a bug that made spacecraft manufacturing processes require the PN or PNN module instead of the patent to make a spacecraft.

Broken Treatment Plant
Fixed a bug that caused a treatment plant to act very strangely. You could sight on it with cross hairs but spotting it reported nothing. Entering the building resulted in no footstep sounds at all. Construction window bulldozer could not find it to delete it. Capitol window greyed out the bulldozer button when that building was selected.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-11-03 Database Rollback

Postby Rockdude48 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Haxus wrote:Many many cities in the universe were decaying rapidly with no good way to save them because most refineries stopped making air.

Legit this is my biggest IRL fear that's fucking terrifying.
Rockdude48

Postby Ikkir Isth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:21 pm

I dub this Spaceballs the Rollback (giving citizens back the air Spaceballs sucked, obviously).
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby TheShadow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Haxus wrote:[b][color=#8080FF]Database Rollback
many cities in the universe were decaying rapidly with no good way to save them because most refineries stopped making air.

Thank you for fixing this. I haven't logged on in two days, but was shocked to see that ALL of my refineries were only making Hydrogen.
TheShadow

Postby Haxus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:42 pm

During the server restart I got the opportunity to observe the data being destroyed first hand. It was eye-opening to discover it was not at all the bug I thought it was.

The bug is fixed. I am restoring the backup once again and we'll see what happens on the next run.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Ikkir Isth wrote:I dub this Spaceballs the Rollback (giving citizens back the air Spaceballs sucked, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYeUF3S8AMg?t=1h5m20s ?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:07 pm

YouTube video is blocked in my country. :/
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:23 pm

There is a city named "Deantwo's mom fanclub". :lol: And another named "Deantwo is not event a human".

It was one of many that automatically recorded a patent for a process that needed one during the server restart. The most common missing patent seems to be 'Smelting Vulcium Patent'.

There is good news; that reconciling process was responsible for breaking the refinery processes before. It did not break them this time.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:47 pm

For those reading this for status, the rollback was successful. Refineries and other broken processes are no longer broken.

I apologize again to those people who lost the work they did over the past day. Rollback is an extreme measure that is not taken lightly. This is the first database rollback since this game universe was restarted in 2015. (I could be corrected if someone with a better memory than I speaks up.)

I can't say it won't happen again. I can say it is avoided at all costs and it doesn't happen often.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:08 pm

I didn't play U4, but U3, I can't remember a rollback.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Next

Return to Updates