2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Postby Haxus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm

The core is depicted as hot, with smoking thermal vents. I removed the lava sea from the core. It just didn't look right. I concluded that contact between the magma at the core and the supercooled liquified gases might create an outer crust or discontinuity between them. So I made the core small, very jagged, with fissures and smoking vents.

Grav couplings are required to make buildings there, to hold the buildings up and to lessen the gravity inside them.

I don't necessarily agree that every bit of solid material that falls into a gas giant is converted to liquid or gas but I am a programmer not a geologist. :?

In the spirit of science fiction, why not go there?

I intend to add floating/flying platforms on which to build cities. They require a bit more work. Then it would actually be possible to directly refine stuff out of the atmosphere of gas giants. That is likely to come out of the revamp of buildings, which is the next big topic on my list.

First, a number of bugs need fixing asap.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Phenoix12 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Deantwo wrote:Either wait, don't be too negative before you try it. Diving in a gas giant is creepily awesome.

I'm not saying daving in a gas giant isn't awesome. Heck I'd love to set the altitude of a floating city to be below the clouds (but not deep enough that the pressure is to high) so the city is hidden in a haze. Just that you shouldn't be able to build on a solid surface under the clouds. Other then that it's still a pretty cool thing.

Haxus wrote:The core is depicted as hot, with smoking thermal vents. I removed the lava sea from the core. It just didn't look right. I concluded that contact between the magma at the core and the supercooled liquified gases might create an outer crust or discontinuity between them. So I made the core small, very jagged, with fissures and smoking vents.
[...]
I don't necessarily agree that every bit of solid material that falls into a gas giant is converted to liquid or gas but I am a programmer not a geologist.

A cursory Google search can tell you everything you need to know about how gas giants function and what the 'layers' of one are. Here's a good article I found on what gas gients might be like under their 'surfaces' https://www.geek.com/news/geek-answers-what-is-at-the-center-of-a-gas-giant-1571039/

Most other things I found on the subject agree that the shift between gas to liquid to what could be solid would be gradual that it basically get thicker and thicker until you couldn't move anymore and not a clearly defined surface or shift between gas and liquid... also that it get pretty much suuuuper hot. LIke... hotter then the center of the earth hot. Because pressure and science stuff.
Phenoix12

Postby Mr. Mortius » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

This game is science fiction. Gas giants having a surface is fun and interesting, especially with the challenges of reaching it. I would prefer for that to remain. Also, there's been some discussion about making Viathol into an alcoholic drink ingredient as well as whatever use was planned for it. It sounds like a good idea to me.
Mr. Mortius

Postby Haxus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm

The link was fun and informative. I liked the picture depicting Saturn with a solid center surrounded by a thick layer of liquid hydrogen. That is kind of what I was imagining, though I expected heat to be generated by pressure and geological forces, otherwise there would be nothing to stop the whole thing from freezing solid.

The cores of gas giants in SoH are not so smooth. Instead they tend to be wildly jagged, with ice crust at the tips and exposed rock nearer the core, where it is warmer. I thought it would be more interesting than a smooth ball.

It made me realize that gas giants probably cannot exist in the warmer zones of stars. They would just boil away, leaving the little core behind. That seemed like too drastic of a change to the game. I think there is a reduced probability of gas giants in the warmer zones, when systems are generated. That may be good enough for a game.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Lysol » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am

Haxus, love you and love your game. But the whole has giant landing broke my brain. The hellish pressures we are talking about near the surface of a gas giant would constitute basically living in a star. Not to mention the levels of radiation. Cool concept!!! I think a crush depth based on ql should be a neat feature. And this mechanic is a good place holder till floating cities.
Lysol

Postby Phenoix12 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Lysol wrote:But the whole has giant landing broke my brain. The hellish pressures we are talking about near the surface of a gas giant would constitute basically living in a star. Not to mention the levels of radiation.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say but put in a more understandable way :P

And this mechanic is a good place holder till floating cities.

Agreed. Until we get to the part where we can have floating cities and ways to harvest stuff from the cores of the gas giants this is fine.

Random idea... stations that you can park over gas giants that can harvest stuff from them.
Phenoix12

Postby Lysol » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Yeah but the harvester modules using magick spess lazers to mine stuff from orbit ....I like the idea of super-scale engineering.

Like gas giant siphoning, or using worm holes to create a terminal in the gas giant to mine would be better hell star lifting! I think there was a peter F hamilton book where that happened...were one end of a worm hole was placed in the lower atmosphere and the other end at a planet full of hostile aliens...and basically poisoned/crushed the bad guys with the gas giants atmosphere.
Lysol

Postby AnrDaemon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Gas giants supposedly don't have a sharp border between "solid", "liquid" and "gaseous" phases. The density is just a function of depth.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Mr. Mortius » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 am

As neat as floating cities sound, I don't think they could replace cities in the cores of gas giants. As things are now, cities in the centers of gas giants present an entirely unique challenge: They cannot be reached by teleporters from orbit, and because of this they might be the only environment in the game that is truly difficult to colonize. I can't see floating cities presenting this same challenge. Why not add both and give some allowances for a more varied and interesting game experience?
Mr. Mortius

Postby AnrDaemon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am

Please explain your logic jump.
Why "floating city" (or simpler: a random spot in the middle of giant gas ball) should be more accessible than a fictional "core" ?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

PreviousNext

Return to Updates