2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Postby Mr. Mortius » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 am

Do I really need to explain why a city located under a 30 km deep ocean, which limits movement to 16 m/s in a submarine or requires a submersible spaceship traveling through supercooled liquid is more difficult to reach than a city that you can simply fly down to in just about anything? Why something that is located in almost the center of a gas giant is harder to access than something floating up in the atmosphere? Why seas of liquid gases and unusual features in the centers are more interesting than a bland expanse of nothing? Again, why not both?
Mr. Mortius

Postby Haxus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:20 pm

The environment of inferno worlds would melt any metal or plastic object in a matter of minutes. Should we not go there?

The proximity to the photon sphere needed to harvest preons would destroy any spacecraft. Should we not go there?

Black holes. Should we not go there?

In at least one of my existences in this material plane, I hope to be spaghettified. :lol:
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Xsnip3rX » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Haxus wrote:The environment of inferno worlds would melt any metal or plastic object in a matter of minutes. Should we not go there?

The proximity to the photon sphere needed to harvest preons would destroy any spacecraft. Should we not go there?

In at least one of my existences in this material plane, I hope to be spaghettified. :lol:

My ship got gas gianted. wouldn't let me recall it said i didn't have the captain's berth, even though i did.
Chancellor Martok of The Klingon Empire
Xsnip3rX

Postby Ikkir Isth » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Haxus wrote:The environment of inferno worlds would melt any metal or plastic object in a matter of minutes. Should we not go there?

Just require some sort of tech / material / force shielding active that you have to get from outer / frozen planets to then go to inferno planets, which you then get something else to go to gas giants, then to stars, then to black holes, and you would have an 'its not metal and plastic' excuse and no one would complain :P
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Marximus1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

For floating cities and core cities, why not both? Floating cities can be like the "stepping stone" towards Gas giant core cities, which can be more delegated to an end game feature/meta. For example, why not implement a resource that can be found in the atmosphere of gas giants that, lets just say for game purposes, lets us build some super shielding that can allow cities on the core (this could be any tech really, just used shielding as an example). Floating cities could also harvest other atmospheric resources and be slightly more efficient than a harvester ship for example.

Once the player has that resource(s). this would allow them to build on the core of the gas giant, allowing them to access the new resources on the core (adamantite etc.). These cities could be somewhat expensive and require lots of "infrastructure" (which can just be relegated to resource costs or some abstract idea). Also perhaps only limit travel between some elevator or special teleporter, or just have the submersible ship idea, whatever works.

This is just a very broad topic that im sure has many flaws, but some people on discord last night thought it sounded neat so I thought maybe I would post it here as at least a concept. It would allow both floating and core cities with at least some "explanation" through soft sci fi tech. Also would provide some linear progression and goals when building these cities

pls dont destroy me too hard its just and idea i came up with in the shower
Marximus1

Postby Deantwo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Like I mentioned before in the tech related update threads, a kind of progression through the different resources would be interesting and add some actual technological progression that isn't just numbers.

For example make mining Vulcanite require Magmium tools and so on. Maybe even make submersible spacecraft hull require Vulcium.
The different warp-drive levels could require the metal, Magmium and Vulcium, so unlocking higher warp speeds require more advanced materials.

Plenty of ideas to go around with this kind of system, just need to actually make a progression plan. Decide what should require what and what steps in the progression should unlock what technologies.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Previous

Return to Updates