2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Postby Haxus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Gas Giants
Gas giant environment got some attention this week. I encourage you to explore them.

This video is kind of dark, was taken in the frigid zone.
http://hazeron.com/vid/OrbitOverGasGiant.mp4

Road Under Construction
Road surfaces are no longer created on roads that are under construction.

Manufacturing Panel Update
FIxed a bug that caused the seconds remaining indicator to read zero throughout the manufacturing process.

Scene Transition Graphic
The scene transition graphic was changed. It is different if you travel via wormhole, giving a depiction of the inside of a wormhole.

Startup Backdrop Image
The image behind your guy at the startup page was changed because the old one showed a planet with the old style bubble atmosphere.

Submersible Hull
Submarines and spacecraft with submersible hulls are no longer damaged by high atmospheric pressure.

Geological Features
Two new kinds of geological features were added. You may start seeing them. One is a geothermal vent that appears as a small smoking crater. The other is a fissure that can be extremely deep and does not tend to be very wide.

Wormhole Into Gas Giant
Fixed a bug that allowed spacecraft to exit a wormhole inside a gas giant, usually fatal. They should now emerge safely beyond the gas giant, as intended.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-10-21 Gas Giants

Postby Celarious » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

RIP Limbo 2009-2017 :'{
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Haxus wrote:Road Under Construction
Road surfaces are no longer created on roads that are under construction.

This will make it a little harder to see what the road will look like before you actually build it. Maybe we can just have a differently textured version while it is under construction? Or would that be weird.

Haxus wrote:Manufacturing Panel Update
FIxed a bug that caused the seconds remaining indicator to read zero throughout the manufacturing process.

I still really wish for a bigger overhaul of the manufacturing interface. Preferably remove all the process options and simply have a button that opens a window for editing the manufacturing process. This would prevent accidental changes, and make it more clear for players that aren't in the chain-of-command over the city that they can't change it. Players that aren't in chain-of-command over the city will then only be able to fetch and run the manufacturing line (if it employ citizens), and the interface can have more room for feedback about the process.

The window that is opened could have a list box instead of a dropdown box, that should keep the "number of clicks" to mostly the same.

Haxus wrote:Geological Features
Two new kinds of geological features were added. You may start seeing them. One is a geothermal vent that appears as a small smoking crater. The other is a fissure that can be extremely deep and does not tend to be very wide.

Will that appear on already generated worlds? Or only new worlds?
I want to see this so bad!

PS: Is something inside that gas giant?!
PPS: Don't google "fissure"...
Last edited by Deantwo on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 pm

New geological features will only appear on new worlds that are generated. If an old world is regenerated due to system decay, its geological features will certainly change when it is regenerated.

Yes, gas giants now have substance. The gases compress to liquid at some level. Rocks fall in, sink to the bottom. They rub together to keep the whole thing from freezing solid. Sort of like a little planet with a really really deep ocean of various chemicals.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33 pm

If gas giants have substance now then I suppose theres a reason to potentially have submersible hulls and go giant exploring (assuming they dont just crush you instantly anymore past a certain level).

With more and more terrain features I do wonder when theres going to be various uses for them though - various materials only found in chasms, for example, or volcanos with rivers of lava that flow toward the ocean and form obsidian deposits (or whatever, though I suppose we need regular rivers before we get rivers of lava).
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:47 pm

assuming they dont just crush you instantly anymore past a certain level

They don't. That region is no longer off limits to explorers.

That just leaves under ground and inside suns. :?

Instead, I will proceed with bug fixes to the stuff that has already been done, with a push toward getting the buildings upgraded. Gas giants were nagging at the back of my mind for a while; I had to do them.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby TestAccount » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Does that actually mean you can land a ship onto a gas giant?

Deantwo wrote:PPS: Don't google "fissure"...

This is because of your previous search clicks.
In game name: Etgfrog
TestAccount

Postby Celarious » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:03 pm

So I dived into a gas giant, and found a sea: (Might have to right click and open images in new tab if they don't fit)

Then I noticed that the map contains 4 different types of land, "Core", "Mantle", "Lithosphere", and "Crust"

Went 25km underwater at the spot where the crust was on the map, and couldn't find land, so died due to stress

Edit: Found resources while using the top-down view, here it is:

Closer:

Managed to get very close and spot new resources:

Based off what I found here, I think Flomentum is a sea resource, Viathol is a ground resource, and I know that Adamantine is produced from Adamantite

(Currently attempting submarine land touch since SF2s get pushed back too hard)
Last edited by Celarious on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Celarious

Postby TestAccount » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Haxus broke the universe, my starting solar system changed completely.
In game name: Etgfrog
TestAccount

Postby Xsnip3rX » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Has the city always used Eludium, Plastic, and Air as tools?
Chancellor Martok of The Klingon Empire
Xsnip3rX

Next

Return to Updates