2017-10-05 Quality Effect

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-10-05 Quality Effect

Postby Onepercent » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Can I put stargates on planet surfaces and dial in on other gates? ;)
Onepercent

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Onepercent wrote:Can I put stargates on planet surfaces and dial in on other gates? ;)

Stargates inside ships as well: ship to ship portals.

Stargates on stations of course too: opening large wormholes between stations.

One-way jumpdrives too maybe?
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

What would be the difference between a stargate and a jump drive?

I suppose you would not have to maneuver through a temporary gate/wormhole when using a jump drive.

Then that to me would suggest it could be the next step beyond warp drives. The jump drive would teleport the ship like a stargate, except all by itself, just by engaging the drive.

Similarly, it would then make sense to have a progression of jump 1 through jump 9 drive modules, to jump progressively more sectors.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Both lines of development could culminate in the hyper drive, letting a ship teleport anywhere, even across galaxies, hyper N module range in galaxies.

That might be op.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm

One thing you could potentially do is opening temporary portals in front of a ship, that can then be used by anything in its fleet. As such, you could have larger ships be able to 'punch' thru space and let other ships thru (meaning that one ship would have a lot of space dedicated to making a big enough portal for the fleet, which means volume allocations matter).

Vs, of course, personal only jumping.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Deantwo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Haxus wrote:
Deantwo wrote:Low quality but high tech spacecraft would be interesting

Again, there's that nebulous term "high tech". Didn't we just get done removing that thing called tech level that had no correlation to anything? TL was an attempt to ascribe a technological difference between two identical objects; it didn't work very well.

Haxus wrote:stargate drive

Haxus wrote:jump drive

Haxus wrote:hyper drive

That is why I said I don't know what the technology system could be.
Tech doesn't have to be a number, it can simply be access to resources and the correct patents. (I do like patents, just not for basic stuff.)

The old TL system was redundant on top of the quality, since high tech required high quality. Preferable technology would not be a one time thing, it should be something you always have to do and possible keep making more and more. Cities dedicated to research/technology should be worth something and losing them should hurt too.

That is why it has been suggested as a "tech resource", a resource that you have to stockpile and use to create advanced commodities, equipment and spacecraft. A percentage of the tech resource would go to waste every city report, requiring you to keep making ever more while also adding a kind of limit to how much you can get before production is less than the wasting.
If you want to produce a spacecraft with a wormhole-drive it doesn't cost much tech, but a spacecraft with shields, lasers and a super advanced jump-drive would cost a lot of tech.

With tech and quality disconnected like that we essentially have two goals, one easier than the other depending on the play-style of the player. Complexity can be added by making it be multiple different tech resources; sensor tech, weapon tech, FTL tech, shield tech, etc.

Not saying this is the only idea, or even the best idea. But it would be something new and different that allow for more interesting combinations.

Original post: Re: 2017-09-25 Tech Level Nerf
Last edited by Deantwo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Teskham » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Tech Resources could simply be a patent database. Use the Mass media building, and when it is destroyed if the patents aren't printed out on paper or disk, or stored in another system they're gone. This would require a new manufacturing option Patent Printing and it could be handed off to the lumber mill or electronics factory depending on the storage medium you want use.

Also Patents as they are as a sudo tech tree is perfect I think it just needs clumping so there isn't a patent for every little thing.
Last edited by Teskham on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teskham

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Haxus wrote:Didn't we just get done removing that thing called tech level that had no correlation to anything?

No, you just replaced "tech level" with "quality", making the sutuation eight times worse.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm

I would still ultimately like, at the least, patents to be the thing that take the long time, while buildings themselves take a month or 2 (if you have building 'tech', i suppose), with each citizen gathering money to buy their own limited run patents, upgrading quality when they have better resources and tools and the proper patents, and maintaining higher production and quality as long as the city has a high economy / is fed resources (with proper accommodation for resource harvesting jobs so they dont need a hive world to maintain, aka mines in a moon should still be able to get high quality).

Basically, limited run, expensive high research patents, and economy based / over time colony development.

I'd love stuff to get more involved than that, of course (patenting higher QL metal requires X points, you spend research on that to allocate points, but if you go spelunking and bring an artifact in, or somehow harvest metal of a certain quality and slot it in to your university to research -and destroy-, you get bonus points allocation to that research line. Apply to anything and everything down the line - bio research via gene scans, plant samples, etc. Combat data from encounters, Habitability reports / scan data, etc etc etc.

Edit: a story I want to be able to play out.

You are scanning nearby star systems and you happen across a faint distress signal. Following it, you find a space hulk, of what appears to be a somewhat advanced ship. Most of the modules are beyond repair, but a few are salvageable. Whats even more interesting is the materials these things are constructed out of. Using your lower quality tools, you manage to successfully remove some of the metal without destroying it and bring it back to your universities. With that data, your scientists inform you that they could potentially reach a breakthru in your materials tech... but they are going to need a LOT of metal from that hulk. Alternatively... you could attempt to patch up the hulk and use what systems are available, and replace the broken ones with alternatives. However, your repairs will weaken the quality of the hulk overall... and whats even worse is that your materials arent rated for this thing. However... having access to its warp 3 capacity and large storage capacity, and its powerful armament, might be worth the tradeoff....
Last edited by Ikkir Isth on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby TestAccount » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:30 pm

So your going to introduce Patent as a requirement for a building to be built? Namely the stargate patent being required to build a stargate building. The patent requiring PNN wormhole to be there to research? Sounds very interesting. Hyperspace requiring warp 9 patent that allows for travel between galaxies? Jump drives requiring both hyperspace and stargates patents for its construction but allows for jumping directly to stars nearby based on the reletive size of the jump drive to the size of the ship?

YES! I would enjoy seeing more stuff.

The question I have, would the patent for the stargate limit how high Q the stargate will go up to?
In game name: Etgfrog
TestAccount

PreviousNext

Return to Updates