2017-10-05 Quality Effect

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-10-05 Quality Effect

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

This update is mainly to post the building Q fix. A few other things got done too.

Quality Effect
There has been some discussion about the effect of quality. Several people felt the 1.5x multiplier at Q255 was too little for what it took to get there. There was also some consensus that the progression should not be linear. I agreed with both. Now the range of quality effect goes from .9x at Q1 Flawed to 1x at Q87 Poor to 2.5x at Q255 Perfect. The line follows a curve that more closely rewards the difficulty of achieving very high quality, like this.

http://hazeron.com/images/EffectOfQuality.png

The scaling is not symmetrical above and below the 1x line, to show the curve. Otherwise that side of the line is pretty flat since it only represents a .1x difference, the worst of it at the very lowest qualities.

Flag on Player Online List
Player online list now shows the empire flag.

Buddy Online Tone
A tone now sounds when someone on your buddy list appears on the players online list. It also sounds when they return from being AFK. The sound appears on the sound settings as 'Comm Tone, Buddy On Line', so you can change or eliminate it.

Online List Duplicates
Duplicate players sometimes showed up in the players online list. They were removed.

SoH Videos Button
The SoH button on the screen has a submenu item to open the videos page of the web site. I intend to add more videos so it will become a useful resource for finding out how to do things, starting with the basic ship tutorial just added.

Designer Door Type and Locks
The method to update the type of a door was hidden and undocumented. Now there is a menu item Parts|Properties|Door Type and Locks, renamed from a previous one that did not mention door type. The window that appears was updated with text explaining its role.

Designer Grid Z Line
Someone noticed that the Z axis line was missing. It is fixed. The axis lines now show thicker and brighter on the positive side of the origin, to help with orientation.

Berth Limit by Quality
The number of non officer berths in a ship design affects the Q required to build it. Someone in the game suggested that the berth quality requirement should be changed so you can get a reasonable crew at low Q.

The new calculation is:

lifeSupportQMin = (nonOfficerBerths - 8) x 8

conversely

nonOfficerBerthsMax = 8 + lifeSupportQ / 8

The division is integer truncated.

This is a change from the calc posted a couple of days ago. Old style ships were 7 + TL, giving them a max of 39.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-10-05 Quality Effect

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Speaking of quality, got some nasty bugs going on right now.

Raising Spacecraft Factory QL resets ship construction
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9248

(somethings is being calculated with a 0 in there!)
Unusually low Q patent
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9246
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:33 pm

So, anything but Q255 is now useless?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 pm

It means that each increment of quality above Q87 is better than the last, drawing you ever onward, instead of getting one more linear tick of improvement. Linear ticks feel big at first and small later on.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Other than the obvious progression period, most of the real differences comes from ship sizes still anyway.

As far as availability, in the end: QL200 = anyone can get, Q225 = slight amount of effort (and I've found several systems that could do that all in the same system more or less), Q240 = some work, but possible within a few sectors, if not all in the same sector, Q255 = quite a lot of searching and probably a spread out empire.

Numbers more or less need to be looked at based on those values.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby AnrDaemon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Haxus wrote:It means that each increment of quality above Q87 is better than the last, drawing you ever onward, instead of getting one more linear tick of improvement. Linear ticks feel big at first and small later on.

Yes, I did mean that. Anything but Q255 is now meaningless.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm

It certainly makes the pinnacle worth achieving, though I am not entirely sold on the 2.5x modifier, might bring it down to 2x. The curve would not visually change.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby expert700 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 pm

AnrDaemon wrote:So, anything but Q255 is now useless?

If Q255 doesn't provide you with tangible benefits to your gear why even bother getting it? I get that you have some sort of pipe dream of a system where there are no bonuses from Q but that would provide no reason other than ship size to get better resources. I recommend actually playing the game instead of spending all your time bitching on the forums, maybe it'll give you a better perspective on things.
expert700

Postby Deantwo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:04 pm

I still want to point out that tying quality to tech is a bad idea. Would be better to remove the whole quality limit on production and bonuses, and then add a new tech system that makes more sense than just the waiting game.

Low quality but high tech spacecraft would be interesting as they can simple have lots of system failures. High quality low tech spacecraft will never break down but not have any advanced systems. Same can apply to equipment and materials, some of it we already have with the waste factor of low quality materials and durability.

It would allow players to attempt to achieve good quality resources while having technology be something totally separate. Not sure what would be a good tech system though, but preferably something that is always a something to worry about and not just a "reach the level cap and forget" kinda thing.

Original post: Re: 2017-09-29 Tech Wipe
Last edited by Deantwo on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Low quality but high tech spacecraft would be interesting

Again, there's that nebulous term "high tech". Didn't we just get done removing that thing called tech level that had no correlation to anything? TL was an attempt to ascribe a technological difference between two identical objects; it didn't work very well.

Qualitative difference is much easier to explain, if nothing else.

Technology exists in SoH by virtue of finding the special resources, developing patents to exploit them, and producing them in high enough quality and quantity to manufacture decent space ships, guns and other things. It is a tangible part of the fabric of the game.

When I add stargates, it is easy to see how they will fit into the system. There needs to be no discussion about whether a stargate should be a higher TL than a warp drive.

To me, a stargate is an obvious advancement over a wormhole drive, sort of a man-made wormhole when needed. That would cause me to make development of the patent depend upon the wormhole patent, thus enforcing a technological progression, in the fabric of the game, not just an artificial number.

Then there would likely be stargate 1 through stargate 9 drive modules, that could gate farther and farther distances. (sectors?)
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates