2017-10-02 Money Q and Bug Fixes

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-10-02 Money Q and Bug Fixes

Postby Haxus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Server Crashes
The last update added a minefield of code assertions. Lots of them tripped over the weekend, crashing server after server, in a controlled way that showed me exactly where I went wrong. The servers are mostly stable now. This update fixes a few remaining causes for those crashes.

Money Q Affects Patents
Money quality was being included in the calculation to determine the resulting quality of patent development processes. That caused Q1 buildings to produce Q128 patents. Now, a Q1 building is more likely to produce a Q1 patent. Failure rates of patent prototypes will be much higher due to the lower Q.

Obsolete Items Bug
Found a bug in the code that checks to see if an item is obsolete. It is fixed.

Media Publishing Consumes Media
Media publishing now consumes blank paper and blank disk commodities. No media will be published without blank media to publish it onto. Paper is consumed first, then blank disks. The Q of the blank media has no effect on the Q of the published media.

Media Policy Settings Under Construction
Media policy settings were accessible before the first story of a media building was completed. That is fixed.

Media Policy Settings Hidden
Media policy settings are now hidden from view to people who are not in the chain of command of the city.

Warp 8 Patent Requires Warp 8 Patent to Develop
Fixed. Also fixed a few other random errors in the processes database.

Rain Sound Dips at Wrap
The new rain sound had a noticeable dip when it wrapped back to the beginning of the track. That is fixed.

Money x100
Money tooltip on the construction window was off by a factor of one hundred. That is fixed.

City Report Sort Patents
Patents are now sorted alphabetically in the city report.

Illogical Patent Office Message
Fixed an illogical response when recording patents.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-10-02 Money Q and Bug Fixes

Postby Deantwo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Are we still limited at Q31 for buildings?

Haxus wrote:Media Publishing Consumes Media
Media publishing now consumes blank paper and blank disk commodities. No media will be published without blank media to publish it onto. Paper is consumed first, then blank disks. The Q of the blank media has no effect on the Q of the published media.

Could just make the paper/disks get treated as if they are being fetched, so low quality will just waste a few extra when using some. This would be somewhat consistent with the rest of the manufacturing like processes.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 pm

There are no limits on building Q.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Haxus wrote:There are no limits on building Q.

My city full of Q31 buildings, all been Q31 since the tech wipe, says otherwise.
See: (Bug report) Buildings capped at Q31
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby expert700 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 am

Deantwo wrote:My city full of Q31 buildings, all been Q31 since the tech wipe, says otherwise.

We discovered yesterday that the apparent Q31 building cap is just because the timer has to catch up to Q31 from Q1 first. In another day or two we should see the Q31 buildings start rising.
expert700

Postby Deantwo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:23 am

expert700 wrote:
Deantwo wrote:My city full of Q31 buildings, all been Q31 since the tech wipe, says otherwise.

We discovered yesterday that the apparent Q31 building cap is just because the timer has to catch up to Q31 from Q1 first. In another day or two we should see the Q31 buildings start rising.

Ooh, that makes sense. Feel sad that the buildings starting at quality 31 was just a ruse.

But then how does that work with tech disks? Following that logic, a Q254 tech disk would make the building quality 254, but a full year would be required for the building to reach quality 255.
Deantwo

Postby ResonKinetic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

Because everything is low quality now and is getting wasted extraordinarily easily, I need to double some of my manufacturing jobs.

But to double manufacturing, I need to create new buildings, and since they're going to be new buildings, they're going to be Q1 and I'll have to wait even longer to get back to status quo.

Building Q is a real nuisance.
Last edited by ResonKinetic on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResonKinetic

Postby Deantwo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 am

ResonKinetic wrote:Because everything is low quality now and is getting wasted extraordinarily easily, I need to double some of my manufacturing jobs.

But to double manufacturing, I need to create new buildings, and since they're going to be new buildings, they're going to be Q1 and I'll have to wait even longer to get back to status quo.

Tech disks will make the new buildings follow the existing buildings, so they won't be worse. The mass media building will boost tech disk production.

I am however wondering if the "quality timer" is part of the city or the individual buildings. If it is really on individual buildings, going back to bulldoze and rebuild all the mines in your capital city would be catastrophic for your quality progression of all mines in your capital.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:56 pm

It is based on the time the first story of a building is completed. If the building is destroyed, the time is lost.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Haxus wrote:It is based on the time the first story of a building is completed. If the building is destroyed, the time is lost.

That seems like a very bad way of during it. The example I just gave could easily happen to a new player and he would not know what he just did until he asks questions as to why his building quality isn't going up anymore.

So getting tech from another empire will make you able to replicate it, but not progress it. Interesting idea, but not sure it is all that fun. Even more so if we take maximum quality level into account, the penalty from getting it from someone else is totally gone at that point.

So to be fair, while it is an interesting way of doing building tech, I am not sure it is a good idea. Time based tech like this will be even more of a chore than the old one was, and there is even no way to speed this one up.
Deantwo

Next

Return to Updates