2017-09-29 Tech Wipe

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-09-29 Tech Wipe

Postby Deantwo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:58 pm

1Duane wrote:
expert700 wrote:With how much longer it takes to tech up now, it seems a bit absurd to put all that effort in and only get gear that's 1.5x as good at max..
honestly, I just wish there was a way to speed it up meaningfully. Yeah, hey, it's automated now. But it's literally calibrated to take a year. Trade will be the only way to be relevant if patents after weighted off buildings and buildings are fixed rates.

Nobody who joins now than a few months into this change will ever be relevant because the ones on top will never be inclined to trade down, even if their tech cards and patents are now infinite.

Yes, that is what we have been trying to say. This is just a simpler but worse version of the old TL system. You can't do anything while waiting for buildingQ to increase, and once someone has maximum techs they will either be way more powerful than everyone or simply trade the tech to everyone else.

The patents are a fun idea, I like it for the most part, but it doesn't feel consistent because some things don't have patents and some major things require patents that just don't make sense. I see patents being more interesting just for equipment and advanced commodities.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby 1Duane » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Deantwo wrote:[
Yes, that is what we have been trying to say. This is just a simpler but worse version of the old TL system. You can't do anything while waiting for buildingQ to increase, and once someone has maximum techs they will either be way more powerful than everyone or simply trade the tech to everyone else.,
In that case, there just needs to be more ways to increase building quality, or ways to improve it faster.

The fact that it's a system to see progress is probably never going away because Haxus wants development to take time, but a full fixed rate year is absurd.
1Duane

Postby ResonKinetic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:00 pm

yeah, waiting a year isn't cool or interesting. if the rate of progression was influenced by empire size, that would be neat.
ResonKinetic

Postby 1Duane » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 pm

ResonKinetic wrote:yeah, waiting a year isn't cool or interesting. if the rate of progression was influenced by empire size, that would be neat.

But then the new system would be literally the old. "More dice rolls." Etc.
1Duane

Postby ResonKinetic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:19 pm

1Duane wrote:But then the new system would be literally the old. "More dice rolls." Etc.

what no

like if expanding your empire decreased the time it takes to reach the next Q
ResonKinetic

Postby Deantwo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm

I still think that quality and tech (whatever tech system we use) need to be separate. Binding resource quality and tech together makes little sense and limits the game quite a lot.

The old TL system had the issue of making being unable to make high tech equipment with low quality. High quality was required to make high tech commodities.

The new Q system has the reverse issue, tech forces quality to be low so low tech equipment can never be high quality.

I believe that if quality was totally separate from tech, it would allow for more friendly progression. Finding resources won't be useless if you don't have the tech, and having the tech without the high quality resources doesn't make the tech useless.
We would be able to have high tech laser pistols that are crappy cheap quality, breaking after just a dozen shots. Super high quality spacecraft shuttles that never break down, but isn't advanced enough to have gravity-drive. Or even highly advanced spacecraft with transporters, shields and giant laser cannons, but made with low quality materials so it frequently have to be repaired.

As for what the tech system should be, I don't know. The building quality progression being automatic is kinda nice, but just feels wrong how it totally butchers the quality of all resources you use.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby ResonKinetic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Yeah I second that. It's also really cumbersome and confusing.
ResonKinetic

Postby OmegaPaladin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what I should be doing. I guess I just wait for my QL to rise so I can unfuck my spaceships and get back to rebuilding my empire.
OmegaPaladin

Postby ResonKinetic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm

OmegaPaladin wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what I should be doing. I guess I just wait for my QL to rise so I can unfuck my spaceships and get back to rebuilding my empire.

don't forget to make new patents for the ones you have and new ones for certain processes
ResonKinetic

Previous

Return to Updates