2017-08-24 Cryo Berths, Door Locks, Air Pressure

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-08-24 Cryo Berths, Door Locks, Air Pressure

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Cryo Berths
Cryo berths are ready for use on new ship designs.
  • Volume requirement changed. Now you get 1 cryo berth for every 4 cubic meters of hull volume, fractions truncated.
  • Mission orders added to load/unload cryo berths. They are like passengers except there is no preboarding announcement time.
  • Comm messages added to load/unload cryo berths to/from cities and other spacecraft.
  • Spacecraft Roster UI updated to list cryo berths and their contents.
    • Kick Cryo Travellers button added, to kick one or more travellers from cryo berths.
    • Revive Cryo Traveller button revives one cryo traveller as a crew, troop or passenger.
      • The ship must have an empty berth ro revive a cryo traveller.
      • They emerge from their cryo berth with no equipment or clothing.
      • They emerge as a citizen of the ship's empire.
  • Avatars cannot travel in cryo berths.
  • No fees are paid for transporting cryo travellers.
  • City rules for giving up cryo travellers are the same as for passengers. Here they are:
    • All but the minimum population can be taken. For common traders, the minimum is 90% of the homes. For someone in the chain of command of the city, the minimum is 2. All citizens beyond the population minimum can be taken.
    • Export policies must permit the transfer. There is a setting for citizens.
Door Locks
Door locks now work on new ship designs.
  • Door lock buttons and hot keys removed from helm station.
  • Door lock hot keys removed from command station.
  • Hull door button remains on the helm station to indicate when a hull door is open. It now closes all hull doors when pressed. The red arrows button that used to do this was removed.
  • Hot key added to avatar controls to lock/unlock the door you are looking at. The default binding is Shift+O.
    • On old designs, this locks/unlocks all doors of the type, if it is a crew or hull door.
    • On new designs, the door must be closed to look at it.
    • Currently this is only limited by sight range. I will limit it.
  • Locked automatic doors stop opening automatically but they continue to close automatically.
  • Locked turbo lift doors do not open automatically when the lift arrives at the stop. An authorized person must click on the door to open it.
  • Locked doors can only be opened by officers, crew and troops of the ship, by clicking on the locked door.
  • Locked doors produce an appropriate thought message when that is the reason they won't open for you.
  • Locked doors open as if not locked while the ship is executing a Stand Down order.
  • Because of that, pirates no longer demand that you unlock your doors. Executing the Stand Down order is sufficient.
Air Pressure
Air pressure in rooms of new ship designs is now functioning.
  • Air pressure is maintained on a per room basis, based on room name only. All room voids with the same name have the same air pressure.
  • Pilot only closes all hull doors if the air pressure in his room is too low or too high and the life support system is working.
  • Room Life Support Status panel reports two things.
    • Life support system functioning or not.
    • Air pressure in the room void that the status panel is associated with.
  • Air pressure changes occur very quickly.
    • When balancing due to life support system, it takes 12 seconds to return a room to normal 50% density from vacuum.
    • When balancing due to open hull door in a vacuum, it takes 8 seconds to empty a room from normal 50% density.
    • When balancing due to open hull door in a vacuum and life support not functioning, it takes 8 seconds to empty all rooms from normal 50% density. This change also applies to old designs.
    • In old designs, with the exception of the last case, air pressure changes occur slowly, like they used to. It takes 90 seconds to empty or fill the ship's air pressure in old designs.
  • When the ship's life support system is functioning:
    • A room with no open hull doors balances its air pressure toward normal.
    • A room with an open hull door balances its air pressure to the air pressure outside the hull.
  • When the ship's life support system is not functioning:
    • If any hull door is open, all rooms balance their air pressure to the air pressure outside the hull.
    • If no hull door is open, air pressure does not change in any room.
Passenger Transfer Bug
When a player announces passengers boarding or debarking, it is possible for another player to accept the message and transfer those passengers to or from their own ship. A bug prevented that from working properly because the code was checking berth availability on the wrong ship. That was fixed.

Passenger Debark Bug
Debarking of passengers is supposed to be prevented if the city's resource zone is overpopulated. Officers were considering this in their first unload attempt. If they had passengers left over, they were then dumping them in any city, enabling severe overpopulation in places. That bug was fixed.

Locked Door Open Bug
While working on door locks, I discovered an interesting bug. When an NPC was executing an Open Door order, the lock on the door was ignored, thus enabling any NPC to open any locked door. This bug certainly could have permitted all sorts of mischief by anyone who discovered the problem. It was fixed.

Auto Eat
Someone asked if there could be an Auto Eat option. Now there is.
  • Auto Eat is controlled by a check box added to the Biology page of the Bio(F8) window.
  • Default setting for Auto Eat is off.
  • When enabled, the avatar will decide to eat a meal when hunger level is below 10%. To eat a meal, food items are consumed from inventory until hunger is full, doing the equivalent of pressing the T key until full.
  • Food is eaten from top level gear slots and from containers.
  • Food is not eaten from containers that are inside other containers.
Vehicle Transporter
Vehicle transporter had a requirement for a transporter operator to be at the control station. That prevented it from being used by a lone person on a ship.
  • Vehicle transporter no longer requires an operator at the transporter station to beam to or from the ship.
  • Ship responds to all vehicle transporter actions, like when an empty ship responds to a beam up request.
Vehicle Auto Load Bug
Entered a vehicle and beamed down. Ship automatically loaded a new vehicle into the parking spot while I was away. Call to beam back responds with "Transporter not available."
  • Fixed a bug in the vehicle auto loading code that was supposed to prevent losing your parking spot like that.
  • Changed transporter response to report when the reason for failure is no empty parking spots.
Design Report Hit Points
Design report for ship designs now reports the DAMAGE CONTROL section, like old designs. It shows hit points for the design. Unfinished things prevented it from being reported previously; those things are now finished.

Cannot Put Engineer Station on Non-Starship
When an engineer station was placed on a non-starship, the design properties had bogus controls for non-existent FTL drives. Error messages were reported. It was broken. That bug was fixed.

Streamlining Drag Resistance
Someone suggested that increasing levels of streamlining should increase the hull's resistance to atmospheric drag. I check the code. It does.

Hull Door Black From Outside
The hull door on my ship is black from the outside, even when the area is brightly lit. Fixed a bug that affected hull doors that opened into interior rooms, not normally lit by sunlight. My air lock has no windows.

Designer Extrusion Distance
Various kinds of extrusions are supposed to remember the last used extrusion distance. That was not working. A bug was fixed. It works now.

Windows 32 bit Launcher Fails
When run on 32 bit Windows, the SoH Launcher is reported as being an invalid program. I am building fresh launchers for all platforms, so I can test/fix the Win32 launcher. I will update this post with the results.

Later...
    Win32 build is complete. I tested it on two different computers. It worked on both. I will upload everything with new launchers when all platform builds are complete. Due to a version change, I can't upload them as they get done today.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-08-24 Cryo Berths, Door Locks, Air Pressure

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm

On cryo berths: I would actually assume that you would have to pay for each passenger since you are, effectively, buying workers to go dump on a mining colony or whatever (usually) while ferrying passengers would be more of a limited, opportunistic thing. Of course, taking slaves would make even more sense then...

As for normal passengers, with the creation of cryo berths you could change the rules to load normal passengers and increase the pay / requirements to ferry them around, or even make some taxi job requests to load a specific passenger (and cargo?) and ferry them to a distant destination, with pay based on speed, food availability, etc. Bonus points if said passenger is Dr. Livingston and wants to take a break mid journey to visit that jungle planet and collect specimens....
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby the Lana » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

What happens when a turbolift door is blasted open with explosives?
Just Lana :)
the Lana

Postby Deantwo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:58 pm

the Lana wrote:What happens when a turbolift door is blasted open with explosives?

I don't think that any boarding mechanics have been implemented for new ships yet. So explosives (C4, bombs, etc.) likely have no effect of doors.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Deantwo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:30 am

The new cryo berths now make it possible to load troops from ANY empire's cities.

You can only load troops from cities that belong to your empire. This works nicely to prevent the enemy from using your own people against you.

But with the new cryo berth to troops feature, we can easily get troops from an enemy's cities. All we need is for them to allow citizen export to neutral empires, make a proxy empire and load some cryo passengers, then transfer them to your main empire's war ship and revive them as troops.

I don't see why cryo passengers can't retain their empire affiliation. Unless you are storing them as simply DNA.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:21 am

I don't really see it as a huge exploit since you are getting a naked troop with no equipment.

Still, it would be easy enough to retain the empire of the cryo travelers. It sounds more interesting that way, not quite so impersonal. I will make the change.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:27 am

Haxus wrote:I don't really see it as a huge exploit since you are getting a naked troop with no equipment.

Since normally what makes a city hard to capture is the number of troops required. You need at least one troop to hold each military flag. Even a naked troop can hold a flag, you just need to defeat all the city's troops yourself.

I wonder if there should be a minimum number of troops required to capture a city... mmmh... ideas ideas.

Haxus wrote:Still, it would be easy enough to retain the empire of the cryo travelers. It sounds more interesting that way, not quite so impersonal. I will make the change.

Yeah that too. Possible exploit aside it did also seem weird to me.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Update 2017-08-26 Sound Settings
Chat Sounds Broken
The default chat sounds are now fixed. The change that enabled them to be overridden by your own .wav file broke the default sound effect.

Sound Setup
Someone asked once to have all the sound effects individually configurable. Now they are. I got going on this when I was fixing the broken default chat sounds yesterday. Some players will appreciate a volume control for the breathing in helmet sound, particularly those who never take their helmet off. Wing beat? Motor bike?

You can specify the reference distance and rolloff factor for each sound. These settings only apply to sounds that have a 3D sound source, as they affect how the sound volume is calculated based on distance between the source and the listener. Most sounds are emitted by a 3D sound source. Examples that do not drop off with distance include breathing and wind sounds; they are played at a specific volume.

Tooltips on those controls give details, including the OpenAL sound formula, repeated here. When 'volume' is 1, the sound is heard at the volume of the sound sample. With a rolloff factor of 1, a sound is heard at volume 1 at its reference distance. So if a sound sample sounds like a bell 10 meters away, the reference distance for the sound should be 10.

Code: Select all
// OpenAL Inverse Distance Rolloff Clamped (AL_INVERSE_DISTANCE_CLAMPED) model.
//   distance = max(distance, AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE)
//   distance = min(distance, AL_MAX_DISTANCE)
//   volume = AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE / (AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE + AL_ROLLOFF_FACTOR * (distance – AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE))
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 am

Haxus wrote:Update 2017-08-26 Sound Settings
Chat Sounds Broken
The default chat sounds are now fixed. The change that enabled them to be overridden by your own .wav file broke the default sound effect.

Sound Setup
Someone asked once to have all the sound effects individually configurable. Now they are. I got going on this when I was fixing the broken default chat sounds yesterday. Some players will appreciate a volume control for the breathing in helmet sound, particularly those who never take their helmet off. Wing beat? Motor bike?

You can specify the reference distance and rolloff factor for each sound. These settings only apply to sounds that have a 3D sound source, as they affect how the sound volume is calculated based on distance between the source and the listener. Most sounds are emitted by a 3D sound source. Examples that do not drop off with distance include breathing and wind sounds; they are played at a specific volume.

Tooltips on those controls give details, including the OpenAL sound formula, repeated here. When 'volume' is 1, the sound is heard at the volume of the sound sample. With a rolloff factor of 1, a sound is heard at volume 1 at its reference distance. So if a sound sample sounds like a bell 10 meters away, the reference distance for the sound should be 10.

Code: Select all
// OpenAL Inverse Distance Rolloff Clamped (AL_INVERSE_DISTANCE_CLAMPED) model.
//   distance = max(distance, AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE)
//   distance = min(distance, AL_MAX_DISTANCE)
//   volume = AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE / (AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE + AL_ROLLOFF_FACTOR * (distance – AL_REFERENCE_DISTANCE))

Wanted to suggest something, how about putting all these new advanced audio options under an "advanced" setting, where the simple settings uses the old 4 bar system? Just to make it slightly easier for newer players who don't really know what any of that stuff does but keeping all this extra stuff in
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 am

Celarious wrote:Wanted to suggest something, how about putting all these new advanced audio options under an "advanced" setting, where the simple settings uses the old 4 bar system? Just to make it slightly easier for newer players who don't really know what any of that stuff does but keeping all this extra stuff in

Or a sub-tab or section on the sound tab.
Deantwo

Return to Updates