Update 2017-08-10 Bug Fixes and Loose Ends

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: Update 2017-08-10 Bug Fixes and Loose Ends

Postby Haxus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm

SHIP interior light switch in AVATAR controls?

It was easier to put it on avatar controls, than to create a new set of controls for spacecraft, to allow binding of that one control. It would require some new user interfaces, which are always time consuming. I took the easy way out. I've got a lot to do and not a lot of time. :|

I intend to implement room lighting in buildings, when they are upgraded. It would be convenient if the same control worked for them too, without separate lighting controls for buildings.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Haxus wrote:I intend to implement room lighting in buildings, when they are upgraded. It would be convenient if the same control worked for them too, without separate lighting controls for buildings.

Are lighting controls even needed for buildings?
Maybe light would just be dim by default, but automatically go bright when you enter a room. If the city has electricity of course, else they just have dim candle light.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm

I would expect most buildings to have few, if any, actual interior spaces. Most windows would probably be fake facade windows.

I personally don't intend to build out the interior of any particular building. It isn't really needed. I might do it just for fun. I imagine a hotel having a simple lobby, an elevator, and maybe one or two areas on different floors accessible by elevator.

Lifts create an interesting opportunity in mines, to autogenerate a mine maze, caverns, and/or other underground complex beneath, that is different at each mine. It also gives some neat options for quietly moving into an instance universe, sort of like a designer or arena, since you can't see outside anyway. It is the sort of thing that might spring into existence based on the needs of a story line.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 pm

I would say it's best if we have a hotkey for changing the lighting in a room, since that'd be the fastest method of doing it and easiest (for me at least)
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 am

Haxus wrote:I would expect most buildings to have few, if any, actual interior spaces. Most windows would probably be fake facade windows.

Yeah I expect the same, of course you need to mention this in the tutorials.

Celarious wrote:I would say it's best if we have a hotkey for changing the lighting in a room, since that'd be the fastest method of doing it and easiest (for me at least)

We already have a hotkey for it now. I am just suggesting that it not be the only way to do it.
And once there is another way to do it, the hotkey can be unassigned by default.

We currently have a lot of weird hotkeys assigned by default that no one ever use or need, most cause confusion and issues.
See: (Bug report) Unnecessary Default Key Bindings
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Here's a couple of pictures from the hand off, as I moved stuff from my old ship to my new ship. Since Atlantis is finally done, I no longer have to worry about destroying/respawning it because of a bug fix or new feature.

Moving in felt significant, like the changing of an era. Likewise, it felt strange, like moving out of a house lived in for many years, as I roamed the halls of the old ship, collecting various mementos: pictures, plants, heads, weapons, etc. I just kept finding them. :lol:

Furniture would be nice. I suppose it could have been built into the ship model.

http://hazeron.com/gallery/NewFlagShip1.png
http://hazeron.com/gallery/NewFlagShip2.png
http://hazeron.com/gallery/HaxusCabin.png

I saved the Enterprise and Klingon cruisers as souvenirs. They were my best and favorite designs from the old designer. I personally used them the most, probably the Klingon more because the view from the bridge was so nice. Bear in mind, they are 1/2 scale compared to the "real" ones, due to size limits imposed by the old designer.

They make nice park decorations, sort of like a ship in a bottle. I had to cheat a little to get them in there. :)

http://hazeron.com/gallery/Hazeron.Aug-11-2017.18-30-09-160.png

I was forced to develop my own unique spacecraft design with the new designer, thus Atlantis. It would be too easy to make a very nice Enterprise or Klingon cruiser using the new designer, so nice that someone would likely make a claim of infringement. That is trouble I don't need.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:07 pm

In the Atlantis design in the exchange, one of the parts is sealed. It is the bed in the capt cabin. I hoped someone would conduct a test with it.

The seal is supposed to preserve the original architect information on the part. It is also supposed to prevent anyone but the architect from editing it in face mode, to prevent copy/pasting the geometry out of it. The seal is supposed to survive being saved in someone else's .SoH file.

A design, with parts from other architects, is supposed to list all the architect names on the design report, with part numbers.

Would someone try to find a way to break it, short of hacking the .SoH file. You can't stop hackers. I am more curious if the seal holds up against a determined clever player who is not a hacker.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Haxus wrote:Would someone try to find a way to break it, short of hacking the .SoH file. You can't stop hackers. I am more curious if the seal holds up against a determined clever player who is not a hacker.

Was about to say... I already went thru the file data and can pick out stuff and modify so ripping out a whole part wouldn't be that hard. About the only way you could make it harder would be to take anything saved to file thats from a locked assembly and make it a load-on-demand from the net only (which would mean, effectively, redownloading that assembly part every time). Of course, it would still not stop someone simply ripping vertex data from memory itself so.... yeah.

Anyway, trying now. Also: proooobably should disable throwing items inside the spacecraft designer online (among other things), as my laser pistol just flew off into null space never to be seen again.

Edit: a few moments later:
Simply by selecting one part, going into edit mode, and then changing to the other part again
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Ikkir Isth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm

A few more moments later, confirmed can just straight up copy and pasteAt in the standalone

Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:23 am

Argh. That was too easy. Thank you. :oops:

As I said, I am not worried about hackers, just dumb mistakes like that.
Haxus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Updates