Update 2017-08-10 Bug Fixes and Loose Ends

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Update 2017-08-10 Bug Fixes and Loose Ends

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 am

Engineer FTL Bug
Atlantis ordered to travel via wormhole. It has both wormhole and warp FTL drives. Engineer did not turn on wormhole FTL drive power. Fixed.

Light Switches
Helm now has separate switches for headlights, nav lights, beacons and strobes. On old style ship designs, only the headlight switch does anything.

Interior light switch was removed from the helm. There is a hot key for this now on avatar controls. It controls lights in the current room on new designs, lights in the entire ship in old designs.

Mission order to adjust lighting now has controls for headlights, nav lights, beacons and strobes. Interior lighting portion of the order was removed.

Shader Variations
Finished the complete set of shaders needed to paint new ship designs in various lighting and atmospheric conditions. Previously, a bare minimum set was being used everywhere, which looked way wrong at times.
  • At ringworlds, shadow squares will now shadow ships properly.
  • In the atmosphere of globes, ships will go dark when suns go over the horizon.
  • Fog effects are applied when appropriate.
Empire Flag Decal
Empire flag decal is now stretched to preserve the aspect ratio of the flag when it is not square. This depends upon the flag decal being made square in the first place. The code assumes this to be the case and stretches it accordingly.

Room Lighting
Rooms on new ship designs can be set to not be lit by sunlight, appropriate for rooms with no windows or wall openings. This setting now affects things in the room. Previously, they were still being lit by suns outside the ship.

Multiple Troops At Post
Multiple troops were manning the same guard post on my ship. Fixed.

Landing Gear
Landing gear is now retractable using a switch on the helm. It appears with a triad of green lights when the gear is extended, dim lights when the gear is retracted. This has not been tested at all. It is the last thing I was working on and it's not really done yet.

The switch is not present on old style ship designs and when a new ship design has no landing gear parts; those are treated as if they have fixed landing gear of some kind so no switch is needed.

Engine Station at Capt Chair
Engine station at the capt chair did not show controls for the FTL drive. Those controls are now present.

A new button was added at the bottom right, to switch between FTL drives. It is only present if the ship has more than one.

Zero-G Movement in Ship
When moving inside a ship with no internal gravity, movement power is way too strong when touching the floor. Avatar shoots across the floor, difficult to control. Fixed.

Barrier Bug
Atlantis design would not finalize due to a barrier on the bridge that incorrectly reported an error condition. Fixed.

Generic Meshes as Floors
Generic meshes are acting as floors. For example, exit surgery table on Atlantis and your guy stands on top of the table. Also, crew stands on top of their bunks. Fixed.

Slow AI Pathing
Load a crew onto Atlantis and the server locks for too long, while they all decide where to go and how to get there. Reworked their path finding logic in new ship designs. Now there is no noticeable hesitation, even if all my crew and troops are selected and told to go to stations at the same time.

Story Reset Notification
A thought notification is now sent to the avatar, if an agent resets a story chapter for them.

Room Berth Request
When I request a berth on old style ship designs, a berth is assigned in the cabin I am standing, if possible. That is not working on the new ship designs. Fixed.

SQL Log Errors
SQL log reports errors due to a DELETE query that fails because it is too huge. This was caused by a player (Vincent D'Alleva) deleting mail. He must have a lot of it. I changed the mail server to split mail delete queries into smaller pieces.

Designer Face Mode
Renamed Object mode in the designer to Face mode.

Designer Menu
Rearranged the designer menus.
  • Design menu reduced to only those actions related to the overall design.
  • Part menu added. It has actions that create new parts and operate on whole selected parts.
  • Object menu renamed to Face. It has actions that enable face mode, add new faces, and operate on selected faces.
  • All actions that operate in face mode were moved to the Face menu.
  • Face mode helpers were moved to the Helpers menu.
Barrier Visibility Error
Barriers were visible in the finalized design. Fixed.

Deadly Turbo Lift
Turbo lift leaves passengers behind sometimes, when it moves to another stop. This gets worse when the server is working hard. Fixed, I think. It was difficult to reproduce the error. I did have a test case that would eventually have the problem. I can't get it to fail any more.

Ship Hovers Too High When Parked
A player made a new ship design. It hovers above the ground when parked, too high up to get into the door. Fixed. Existing ships parked too high like that will have to be nudged in some way, to get them to fall to the ground.

New ship designs are not intended to hover, like old ships. That was just a way to deal with not having landing gear. New ships will settle flat to the ground, at the bottom of their hull extents, which includes the current extents of the landing gear.

Wormhole Surface Textures
Again, the surface textures were reworked that are used while the wormhole drive is hot.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: Update 2017-08-10 Bug Fixes and Loose Ends

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 am

All the things are done that were preventing me from publishing the Atlantis design to the exchange. I will do that once the servers are restarted, as both an assembly and as a design.

A finalized design in the exchange is ready to be bought and manufactured. Nothing else needs to be done to it.

A finalized assembly in the exchange is simply a complete save of a design file. An assembly cannot be manufactured. It can be loaded into the designer, modified, and finalized. An assembly has no requirements for its content; it could simply be useful items like furniture and other decorations.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am

I forget how door locking works now, but wouldn't it be nice to remove those buttons from the helm console?
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 am

how door locking works now

I haven't finished door locking on the new ship designs. I agree the door lock buttons should be removed from the helm.

The helm screen could use a face lift all around. It is dominated by three large dials that are mostly useless. Everything you really need is on the buttons crammed in the corner. It is likely the oldest display screen in the software and hasn't changed much since the day it was made, other than to grow an increasing number of controls. :oops:
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm

A tragic bug forced a restart of the servers to fix.

The bug made exiting any control console very difficult. You had to E out of the console repeatedly until it would finally randomly decide to let you go.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Onepercent » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

I also encountered that console bug. I tried changing alts but was stuck in the limbo screen.. in other news I am looking forward to assemblies being made available on the exchange! This should definitely decrease the effort required for making extensive interiors if the whole community can contribute meshes. 8-)
Onepercent

Postby Deantwo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Onepercent wrote:I am looking forward to assemblies being made available on the exchange! This should definitely decrease the effort required for making extensive interiors if the whole community can contribute meshes. 8-)

Yeah, if people start making furniture, console stations, turrets, wingy-bits, and such it'll be awesome.
Deantwo

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm

I had posted a design with the intent for it to be an assembly before but parts were a bit... lacking in functionality ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8920&p=100187#p100187 )

Will check again sometime to see how landing gear works and how the parts thingy works.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 am

SHIP interior light switch in AVATAR controls?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Deantwo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:53 am

AnrDaemon wrote:SHIP interior light switch in AVATAR controls?

Yeah, controls are clearly categorized after when they can be used, not in a sensible way.

Since you didn't link to it, I will.
(Suggestion thread) Unify ingame controls.

Maybe a little tab in the Spacecraft window could have these controls too? Unless they will be used to control lights in buildings too, it would make sense for it to be on the Spacecraft window.
It could list life-support readings for the room you are currently in and such, like having a smartphone on you to control and monitor your smarthome.
Deantwo

Next

Return to Updates