2017-08-03 Room Lighting and Door Access

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-08-03 Room Lighting and Door Access

Postby TartarusMkII » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Heya, thought about making a separate thread about this but figured it would fit here.

I am worried that going forward with the new designer, some of the things I liked most about my personal Hazeron experience might get lost; but I also think a lot about the experience of newer players. While the designer can surely change and give more freedom, I am worried about accessibility.

For me, the important bits of the former experience are:

- It has always been impressive to me that code was written to convert the floor plan into a 3d model. Even if the mesh could be better, it is none the less something only Hazeron does this way.

- It could be better, of course, but I think the idea of drawing rooms on the grid is very user friendly. It is not too hard for a new and fresh user to get the idea of how this works.

- Working with levels may be rigid, but it is also straight forward and easy to understand, especially when it comes to things like the path finding system saying "the AI can not get to Bridge 2 on floor 3".

- I believe the old designer has a lot of user friendly interfacing, and I worry that despite the freedom, the new designer will lack this user-friendly accessibility.

So to begin the explanation, let me just say that I have not yet learned to use the new designer. I wanted to re-learn more of the game first, and so I want to talk about what I value about the old designer. I want to talk about what the new designer will exclude, rather than any feedback relating to the new designer as it is right now.

I think it only makes sense that with new techniques, we should have a new designer that gives us more freedom. But at least from my point of view, the original designer has a certain vibe that, to me, was a core part of the Hazeron experience. For me personally, this is the room-layout system.

I think that while the old system was far more rigid compared to the freedom the new system will offer, I think that rigid structure is what would allow more casual players to make a functional design, have fun with it, and make less mistakes that would frustrate the user (such as making something the wrong size scale for their creatures by accident).

(sorry this was so long, it was going to be its own thread for discussion.)
TartarusMkII

Postby Deantwo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Haxus wrote:Some have suggested wanting to have a one-building moon base.

True. Guess I just like to have some separation.
I imagine the "labor window" will be huge, or at least have many tabs. A redesign of the manufacturing line UI might be a good idea.

I guess that each construction material type (wood, lumber, metal, magmium, vulcium) will limit the size.

But as Ikkir mentioned, how to handle tech will be interesting.
Remove TL?
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

WARNING

Keep a backup of your .SoH files. I made a new ship and my turbo lift does not work properly. I'll find out what the problem is in the morning. Just be careful with your data until the problem is resolved.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm

After some frantic investigating and testing I can find no problem with the ship design. I think the bug that affected me is not new and is not related to the design itself.

The bug is that sometimes the turbo lift leaves you behind when it moves. If you don't have your helmet on, you can suffocate and die.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Thinking more on the designating farmland and whatever, really kinda need that anyway: assuming you make a colony hub building, you would need to set workers to miners and designate mining plots away from the hub.
Foragers -> foraging zones (actually use those in-field resources?)
Farmers -> farm plots
Lumber, water, fishing, etc.
Slabs would just be attached landing / construction plots to a building with a role/job set (vehicle factory, airport managing landing plots, hangars that deploy to a nearby slab plot)

Temporary plots could also be used for vehicles/ships later (if harvesting ever needed to actually target a location where the resource is, or if players had to scan and mine player-only resources, etc). Not strictly necessary, of course, since we can just get directly over where a resource is, but could use some standardized plot size and simply be able to get everything in that area.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 am

Not really a good idea, IMO.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby TartarusMkII » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:12 pm

AnrDaemon wrote:

Not really a good idea, IMO.

How come? what do you foresee? Give details! =D
TartarusMkII

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:17 pm

An overcomplicated UI for such a building.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm

After some careful checking, I found no problems with the storage or retrieval of date to/from .SoH files. They appear to be safe. Whew.

The symptoms that led me to believe there could be a critical problem were traced to their respective bugs, luckily not one big nasty bug, instead several minor ones.

Those bugs and others will get special attention next week as I focus on fixing bugs and tying up loose ends. I am looking forward to it. That is typically a fun and rewarding phase of writing code, much better than the feeling of living in a barrel like the past nine months.
Haxus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Updates