2017-08-03 Room Lighting and Door Access

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-08-03 Room Lighting and Door Access

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Room Lighting
Interior lighting of new spacecraft designs now illuminates rooms and objects. Each room (by name) has its own light switch and lighting. While in a room, use Shift+L to turn lights brighter, Shift+K to turn lights dimmer. These are avatar key bindings. There are three settings: off, dim and bright.

In old style designs, all interior lights are controlled by the same switch. The light control keys will control lighting throughout the ship on older designs.

The mission order to configure interior lights will change every interior light in the ship. I may just nerf the interior light portion of that command, or add a no change option.

Mesh Lighting
Generic meshes can now be associated with a room (not a room void). This determines which room's lighting conditions affect the mesh.

Room Lighting Configuration
Lighting conditions in each room can be set in the designer. Use the Design|Room|Lighting command to configure lighting in selected rooms (not room voids).
  • Initial light switch setting can be configured. This is the setting of the light switch in the room when the ship is made.
  • Sunlight conditions can be configured. This indicates whether the interior of a room is normally exposed to the lighting conditions outside the ship, like if it has a window or wall opening. Not all objects respond to this setting yet, so they may appear lit when inside a room that is not supposed to have sunlight.
Hull Not Lit By Headlight
Headlight of a spacecraft now illuminates the exterior portions of its own hull. This had to wait until the interior room geometry was separated and rendered without the headlight.

Finalize Warns About Unnamed Room Voids
Finalize of a design now warns if any of the room voids are not named. Room voids should be named to correspond to a room, so objects inside the void will be lit according to the lighting conditions in the room.

Facade Window Lighting
Fake windows will now randomly light if the ship has capacitor power. Lighting of facade windows is not synchronized between clients. It cannot be controlled, even by issuing a mission order.

You can name fake windows to group them. All fake windows with the same name will be lit the same.

Nerf glu
The last bits of glu were removed from the SoH OpenGL code. glu is a utility library that has been slowly phased out over the years. SoH was still using two glu functions; it no longer uses them. As glu resides in its own library or DLL, that is one less dependency for the SoH program to resolve.

Hull FTL Surface Effect
When a design is finalized, hull faces are now applied with the surface effect visible when the FTL drive is hot. Each face can have only one effect so the ftl effect is only applied to faces that do not already have an effect assigned to them.

Wormhole ftl effect is now colored according to polarity. This was not changed on old style ships.

On old style ships, wormhole polarity is indicated by the direction of movement of the surface effect. This is not a change but likely went unnoticed by most everyone.

Translucent Window Says Invisible
Windows set to be 0% transparent (i.e. translucent) were reporting themselves as being invisible in their description in the designer. That is fixed.

Star Sprite Texture Error
A texture error was observed when drawing the near stars in the sky, the ones that appear as a tiny cross shape. The texture quality was improved and an incorrect argument was fixed when creating the OpenGL texture object.

Vertex Buffer Consolidation
When creating the objects used to render a new ship design, the faces of many separate parts are now combined wherever possible into single large buffers of vertex data. In the designer, vertex buffers of each part are maintained separately to facilitate highlighting and editing. In the final rendering, it is much more efficient to combine them.

Render Distance Optimization
Beyond a certain distance, the windows become opaque. When that happens, interior details and objects inside the ship are no longer rendered.

Door Access vs Check Doors
Check doors command was removed from the menu. What did that do? It was replaced with Paths|Door Access.

Door Access dialog does two things. First, it does what check doors used to do; it analyzes selected doors to see if they look like hull doors and flags them accordingly. Second, it configures two settings on the selected doors.
  • Automatic Door setting controls whether a door opens and closes automatically. Hull and lift doors are not affected by this setting. Hull doors are not automatic. Lift doors open and close according to operation of the lift.
  • Initial Lock setting says whether a door is initially locked when the design is manufactured.
In this update, all interior doors are still treated as unlocked and automatic. These new door settings have not been fully implemented yet.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-08-03 Room Lighting and Door Access

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:11 pm

This update reaches a milestone. The new ship designs are now complete in their data. Features remain to be fully implemented but all the information is present that is needed. The ship design data should stop changing.

I might be able to really move in to my new ship now. My old ship is in a hangar 5k sectors outside the galaxy, waiting for me to retrieve my plants and heads and pictures and other souvenirs. I have been reluctant to do that knowing each new ship was going to be destroyed and replaced as things got fixed/implemented. I may still wait a few days to do that, to let the dust settle first.

This does not mean the designer cannot be improved. There is a lot of things that could be done to make it nicer, like adding ways to build the geometry in fun and interesting ways, without redefining the way it is constructed.

This also does not mean that ship designs can never change again. Every feature that was planned for these new ships is now implemented or possible. New stuff can always be added later but I intend to finish up loose ends, fix bugs, and get busy on other stuff for a while.

Those new buildings are calling to me. :D
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Celarious » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Nice! Now that the core data is finished and everything is implemented, hopefully that means there'll be optimization and improvements to the designer! All the big stuff is done so hopefully that'll be a lot easier :P

Good job though, you've been working on it for a few months really hard, and hopefully that means new buildings won't be too hard to implement :P
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:46 pm

It took a smidgen more than nine months.

Implementing the new buildings should be easy. I won't have to develop a new design system.

I have put a lot of thought into the new buildings. Here are a few ideas.

Building designs will be traded through the design exchange.

Size of building model determines number of available manufacturing processes, amount of storage, construction materials needed, hit points, etc.

The notion of adding levels to an existing building will go away. To make an existing building bigger, a new building will have to be built in its place.

Space within a building will be allocated like the space in a ship design, Instead of allocating space to cargo and systems, it will be allocated to storage and industrial processes. Then a single large building could allocate its manufacturing processes to several different industries, or just be a huge warehouse, or a mix.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Might be a good time to talk about how technology will work in a new system then, since any building could have any attachments/factories (I'm assuming). CD production and consumption per work slot (probably easiest transition to spacecraft factories), per building (still specialization), per process (a move to consumable tech level - requires a tech disk to make any process, with tech disk decay/charges/etc), etc.

Also, might have to consider how the overall building system works, since, if you are making a farm, effectively you are making a building with "Worker" living space and attaching it to a "Farmland" area around it. This would mean that you could make a building full of worker spaces and then make a farmland and attach it to the building, then allocate workers. Otherwise, you still have to build a 'farm' category building like the old system, with the farmland attached.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:27 pm

farmland

Perhaps a farm requires space for crops for each potential process it could run. If crop space is not inside the building, it has to be outside. So indoor farming facilities could be a thing, and gigantic continent-sized farms.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm

I have seen refinery complexes with hundreds of huge buildings in rows. It would be so nice to see those replaced by a few huge harvester buildings.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Yeah that is one thing I have been wondering about. Is that really what Haxus meant?
I mean being able to have a building have any combination of manufacturing lines is a very interesting idea. But what kind of limits should it have? Maybe the current categories is a nice place to start, farming/food buildings, minings/refining buildings, factory buildings. Then you can't have a farm also be a tool factory, but you can have all in one mining and smelting type buildings.

I totally would love to make a "converted colony ship" style building, toss it as the first building in your new cities and it will have everything needed for a quick start. But some limits or at least category based buildings might make it feel better?
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Some have suggested wanting to have a one-building moon base.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Here is a recent screen grab.

http://hazeron.com/gallery/AtlantisLit.png

Things to notice:
  • Nav lights, beacons and strobes.
  • Headlight under the chin, illuminating the ram.
  • Facade windows, lit and unlit.
  • Lit room interiors.
  • Lit transparent window glass.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates