2017-07-29 Light Bug and Servers

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-07-29 Light Bug and Servers

Postby Haxus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Light Glow Not Visible Through Windows
The halo glow effect on lights on your own ship was not visible when viewed from inside, through a window. That is fixed.

Light Lens Glow
The surface glow of light lenses didn't feel very bright. The shaders were changed that apply that effect.

Texture Error
Fixed some new code that was selecting a null texture for a surface effect. The effect is not used yet but it is possible that mere selection of the null texture could cause a crash, depending on the video driver.

Servers Fixed
The two dead servers in Denver are back on line with fresh OS installs.

Caverns in the Sky
I took off for Denver Centennial Airport yesterday morning at 9am. It was partly cloudy with calm winds. I got lucky because the airplane was already full of gas, which saved me from refueling before take off, something I was expecting to do.

The trip was smooth, uneventful, took about three hours. Clouds were building for a typical afternoon of thunderheads raging across the plains. The clouds were already too tall to get above, so a portion of the trip was spent in the soup, staring at instruments to keep the airplane right side up.

Centennial Airport was a mad house of aircraft landing and taking off. There were multiple rows of visiting aircraft of all kinds parked on the ramp. It was the most busy I have ever seen it.

They had my rental car at the plane and ready for me when I shut down. It was a quick trip to the computer center across the Cherry Creek reservoir dam. The receptionist at the desk was unusually cranky. She tried to tell me my company didn't have any computers in there when I had trouble with one of the security doors. I hadn't been there in years and didn't remember the procedure for opening that particular door.

It took about an hour to set up the servers. It was cold; I was glad I stuffed a warm shirt inside my flight bag. I reloaded the OS on both servers as I wasn't sure about what the remote hands team had actually done. That went smoothly.

That done, I departed with a dead computer in hand. Its corpse had been lying cold inside one of my cabinets for over a year after its hard drive went kaput. I grabbed a hamburger at Burger King on the way back to the airport and ate it in the car.

At Centennial, there was a bit of a delay because the line crew had not filled all of my fuel tanks with gas. The weather had gotten worse and I wanted all the gas I could carry. The sky was purple black and low to the southwest over Devil's Head; Pike's Peak was completely obscured. ATC had already closed off arrivals and departures to the south, west and east as the storm system was beginning to engulf their area.

I wasted no time getting my clearance and blasting off. They routed me north around Denver International to keep me out of the storm. The radio was jammed with chatter as ATC dealt with commercial aircraft deviating around the storm or holding at a fix while waiting for an opening. It was total pandemonium on the radio until they handed me off to the next sector controller at the Colorado border; then it was dead quiet for so long I thought at one point I had lost them on the radio.

Weather going back was interesting. The clouds were torn up into layers and organized into thunderheads, much more developed than earlier, some in the dissipating phase after spewing out their precipitation and energy. At one point I found myself flying inside a vast cavern in the clouds, calm, serene, clear air, while lightning raged inside the walls nearby.

As evening started to dim things down, I found myself flying above some laminar cloud formations which slowly rose to greet me, so that flying straight and level was like slowly descending into a smooth cloud deck. This led to a short period of flying with the airplane completely submerged except for my cockpit window, with only my head above the clouds, before sinking into the soup once again.

I was tired when I got on the ground. The extra routing had made the trip a little longer than usual. One thing that really surprised me about learning to fly was how mentally demanding it is. Piloting takes very little physical strength but it will drain your brain until you are weary. Instrument flying magnifies the difficulty. I was too tired to finish the work on the servers last night.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-07-29 Light Bug and Servers

Postby Deantwo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Haxus wrote:Caverns in the Sky

Amazing, but also a little worrying.
Would hate it if anything happened to you. >_<

Anyway, good to have you back on the ground!
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Would hate it if anything happened to you.

We all try to make our mark on the world. I hope mine won't be a long shallow ditch in a field, ending in a ball of debris. :lol:

Yesterday was a delightful day to fly, a great mix. It never once felt stressful, or worrying. There have been a few moments over the years that were much more exciting, even terrifying, to the point of not wanting to ever get back into the airplane.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Phenoix12 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Tried to put a effect on a surface and it instantly crashed... :'(
It was the Maneuver Drive effect if you're wondering.

On a less important note it also crashed when I tried to import a .3ds but I figured out that was because the file was probably to big so I cut it up into smaller bits and it important without crash...

Also I noticed on the import some of the individual meshes in the file weren't lined up in the positions they were in in the file.
Phenoix12

Postby Onepercent » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:10 am

Haxus the type of guy to just get into his plane and fly to his servers to fix them 8-), I flew with family across the world once, I think we were near Singapore as we were on initial descent to the airport and as we traveled through the clouds the only thing I could describe as the most beautiful cloudscape I've seen, with many large thunder heads all around us and a large quantity of those Lenticular cloud's, the sun was in the east as it was morning and the god rays pierced through that cloudscape.

The designs still crash in the new designer, though, when i try load a design, it works as long as I keep it in wireframe mode. When I turn on the show hull modes, designer freezes.
Onepercent

Postby Haxus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 am

This crash problem is my top priority for Monday morning.

The imagery of the descent into Singapore is awesome. I could almost feel the humidity. Thank you for that.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 am

Haxus wrote:The imagery of the descent into Singapore is awesome. I could almost feel the humidity. Thank you for that.

Freaking hell you two... pictures and/or mount a camera in the cockpit pointing forward out tge window.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby jakbruce2012 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm

I still crash immediately when drawing hull faces in the studio, or logging in next to a new style ship.
jakbruce2012

Return to Updates