2017-07-14 Status Displays, Service Panels, and Lights

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-07-14 Status Displays, Service Panels, and Lights

Postby Haxus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 am

Headlight Bulb
Headlight bulb now works properly on new spacecraft. Various bugs were fixed, affecting aim and brightness.

The headlight does not illuminate the ship that emits the light. This will be resolved when interior room lighting is completed.

Headlights
Headlights now glow in carbon arc light color, matching the color of the light emitted, and they have a large glow effect sprite when the light is on. The sprite is centered on the lens geometry. Each headlight lens part gets a sprite.

Nav Lights
Nav lights now glow in the configured light color and they have a small glow effect sprite when the light is on. The sprite is centered on the lens geometry. Each nav light lens part gets a sprite.

Nav lights currently turn on and off with the exterior light switch. This will be changed to have its own switch in a future update.

Strobes
Strobes now blink/glow in halogen light color and they have a strobing glow effect sprite when the light is on. The sprite is centered on the lens geometry. Each strobe lens part gets a sprite.

Strobes currently turn on and off with the exterior light switch. This will be changed to have its own switch in a future update.

Rotating Beacons
Rotating beacons now glow red and they have a rotating glow effect sprite when the light is on. The sprite is centered on the lens geometry. Each rotating beacon lens part gets a sprite.

The axis of rotation of the light effect is determined by the +Z axis direction when the rotating beacon is made. This is a change. Existing rotating beacons will rotate around an axis parallel to the Z axis of the ship. To change them, simply orient the grid plane the way you want; select the beacon lens; and use the Make Rotating Beacon command on it again. This will reestablish the rotation axis.

Rotating beacons currently turn on and off with the exterior light switch. This will be changed to have its own switch in a future update.

World Map Display
World map display is now functional. It displays the surface texture of the world you are at, which is handily available with no extra work by your computer. When you are not near a planet, the default map texture is displayed. The aspect ratio will be horribly wrong at a ringworld, unless you happen to make a world map display that is really wide and short.

Mission Status Display
Mission status display is now functional. This is the display on the little secondary panel of the old style consoles. It has one minor difference; the air pressure display is removed.

Room Life Support Status Display
Room life support status display is now functional. This display shows the air pressure in a room and the status of the ship's life support system.

On old style ships, air pressure is the same throughout the ship. Current air pressure is shown as a small vertical bar on the secondary display panel of control consoles. The animated display from the beds in the old designs is the life support functioning indicator. That graphic was repurposed to be the new room life support status display, on new ship designs.

Air pressure is shown as a vertical indicator bar at the far left of the panel. The remainder of the panel shows an animated screen and blinking lights or it shows a single tiny red light; this simply indicates whether the ship's life support system is functioning or not. People cannot recall to their berths aboard a ship if the life support system is not functioning.

Air pressure does not normalize inside the ship unless the capacitor has power. This is supposed to be indicated by the panel but it's not. It will be fixed.

The part must now be associated with a room void to read the air pressure in that room. Air pressure separation is actually determined by room name, so the panel will display the air pressure in all rooms that share the same name as the associated void.

Currently, air pressure rises and falls in all rooms of a new ship design uniformly. This mimics the behavior of old style ships, until this small detail can be addressed.

Alert Status Display
Alert status display is now functional. This display shows the current alert status of the spacecraft. It also acts as the emitter of the sound that accompanies changes in alert status. If no status displays exist, the sound will not be emitted.

Old style ships do not have alert status displays. The status change sound is not emitted aboard those ships.

Alert Status
On new design ships, alert status is now controlled on the Spacecraft Policy window. It can be set to Condition Green, Condition Yellow or Condition Red. Changes to the alert status appear on alert status displays and an audible sound is generated when the status changes.

Certain events will automatically raise the alert status but it is never lowered automatically. The tip on the alert status policy control lists the conditions; they are the same as the conditions that caused changes to the alert status in old style ships.

An officer who has the con will reduce the alert status when conditions permit. Otherwise, the captain must lower the alert status when desired.

Alert status is purely a visual/audible feature. It currently has no effect on the behavior of NPCs.

The Alert Status control has no effect on old style ships. Their alert status is managed automatically. It tracks the worst of the conditions listed on the tip for the control.

Service Panels
Service panels now work. These include Capacitor, FTL Drive, Life Support, Maneuver Drive, Power Plant, Sensor, Shield and Weapon panels. Service panels provide access to the system hardware. This is where you can repair a system, remove parts from a system, or install a module by hand.

FTL Drive and Weapon service panels are associated with the control station for their system, so they access that particular system.

On old style ships, service access was provided by a physical system unit that was placed in the design, such as a maneuver drive or power plant unit. Those things exist only as numbers in the new designs.

Empire Flag Decal
Empire flag decal now works.

A minor bug remains. The flag is not adjusted to the proper aspect ratio; it is stretched to fill the entire space allocated for the flag decal. This will be corrected in a future update. No changes to the model will be required.

Name Decals
Name decals now work. These include Ship Name, Empire Name and Captain Name decals. A ship with no captain will show the commanding officer's name, if it has one, otherwise it will show 'No Commander'.

- - - - -

Many of these changes will not affect ships that have already been built. Existing designs must be finalized again to take advantage of these changes.

I wish I could post some screen grabs of these new features but the video board in my computer gave up the ghost last week. I've been limping along with an old one but it has problems, like lots of objects in my scene glow pink and I get streams of OpenGL errors in some scenes.

Luckily UPS just delivered my new GPU board, as I write this. My computer is busy building updates so it will be a couple of hours before I can install it.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-07-14 Status Displays, Service Panels, and Lights

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 am

Haxus wrote:World Map Display

The aspect ratio will be horribly wrong at a ringworld, unless you happen to make a world map display that is really wide and short.

May be only display a fitting part of the map near the ship coords?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Haxus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

May be only display a fitting part of the map near the ship coords?

That is a good idea. It goes beyond my simple reuse of an existing texture, just enough to get added to the to-do list, instead of doing it right now.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Yeah, was just an idea to ponder.
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Phenoix12 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

I've mentioned this before but I don't know if you saw it last time.

Would it be possible to get a generic 'chair' station... basically just a place you can activate and sit on with no counsels and such associated with it. Pretty much worthless in the scope of important stuff for the ship but it be nice just for something interesting or even RP purposes.
Phenoix12

Postby AnrDaemon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Captain's chair?
Yak. Yak never changes.
AnrDaemon

Postby Celarious » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Still noticed some issues with room voids. I have a ladder to travel between two floors, however, once you've gone above the first floor, it's impossible to drop back down into the bottom floor. This is because going downwards on new designed ladders is impossible, only up works, and dropping down through the ladder hatch is impossible as you end up standing on air. This happens even when the voids extend for miles in either direction, you still get stopped halfway down randomly.

Could you look into this? It's extremely hard to make functional ships with ladders as a result
Celarious

Postby Quellix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 am

Had the same problem with Ladders, resulted to using Turbo lifts instead.
Quellix

Return to Updates