2017-06-16 Integrated Stations and Turrets

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-06-16 Integrated Stations and Turrets

Postby Haxus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 am

Integrated Station Screen Textures
In the designer, screens on integrated stations now use a texture that looks like the final screen. Turret station and command station now have screen textures.

Integrated Shield Station Texture Bug
Fixed an uninitialized variable bug in the integrated shield station. It caused the screen to blow up or crash the program.

Integrated Fire Control Station Bug
Fixed a missing switch case break bug in the integrated fire control station.

Integrated Nav Station Bug
Fixed a communications bug that afflicted all integrated stations. The nav station had particularly noticeable/bad consequences.

NPC Standing Station Bug
Fixed body positioning error for NPCs manning integrated stations where the operator stands at the station. The body was placed with its CG at the literal floor location of the station, with half of it hanging down through the floor.

Integrated Command Station Completed
Integrated command station is now fully functional.

Integrated Station Operator Facing
Facing of the operator of integrated stations is now specified when the station is designed.
  • The station design command has an option to face the screen, as before, without locating a point.
  • Previously, operators would always face the screen. This was undesirable when I made a command chair with a little screen on the arm of the chair.
  • Stations that have already been designed will face the operator to the screen.
Client Crash Exiting an Integrated Station
Fixed a bug that caused a crash when exiting an integrated shield station.

Integrated Turrets Almost Done
Integrated turrets are almost complete. They do not present a crash risk in their current state so I decided to go ahead and post an update today, due to other improvements. One consequence of this work in progress is the gun model is missing when you occupy an old style gun turret. This is temporary; it will be back.

Integrated Turret Sight Location
Specification of a turret gun now includes the location of the gun sight.
  • When designing an integrated turret, the location of the gun sight is now entered.
  • This is the view point of the gunner operating the turret. It could be thought of as a scope or camera mounted on the gun barrel.
  • It moves with the gun barrel and looks in the firing direction of the gun.
  • On turret guns that have already been designed, the sight location is at the gun muzzle emit location. This is not ideal due to muzzle flash.
Server Deadlock
Fixed a server deadlock that resulted from recent changes to control stations.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-06-16 Integrated Stations and Turrets

Postby Haxus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:14 am

I'm beginning to think I might actually get to the end of working on these new spacecraft. Here's a quick rundown of the things that remain. I view all of these as light work; it seems like all of the hard stuff is done.
  • Finish turrets.
  • Information panels.
  • Service panels.
  • Lights.
  • Air pressure and lighting per room.
  • Windows lit according to room lighting. Decorative facade windows.
  • Rendering optimizations.
  • Landing gear.
  • State animations, for doors, landing gear and turret guns.
  • Vehicle transporter.
  • Load vehicles. Loader should choose which to load, instead of auto loading. Perhaps load them like buying cargo.
  • Creature body movement restrictions at integrated stations.
  • Fix bugs.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Deantwo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 am

Haxus wrote:Load vehicles. Loader should choose which to load, instead of auto loading. Perhaps load them like buying cargo.

That would be nice indeed.
Maybe make vehicles act more like commodities then too?
I know I have linked to this thread many times, so sorry: (Suggestion thread) Vehicle Factory production change
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Screen grab of the integrated sick bay station aboard Atlantis, taken from the point of view of the medic standing at the station.

http://hazeron.com/gallery/AtlantisSickBay.png
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Onepercent » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Haxus, One question; Is it possible for these new designer updates to render previous designs to be corrupt or incompatible for the new official client builds? I'm currently invested in designing a ship and am wondering if I should be worried I may lose all progress. Cheers.
Onepercent

Postby Haxus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm

I am making a conscientious effort to maintain compatibility with existing .SoH files. That said...
  • Incompatibility with older .SoH files would be considered a critical problem. Please alert me right away if you suspect file compatibility was broken. It would need fixing immediately due to the risk of corrupted user data.
  • If you ever suspect a file compatibility error, do not overwrite any existing files or the problem could corrupt their data, rendering them unrecoverable.
  • Older .SoH files may lack information that is useful, such as operator facing at stations and turret sight location. The default values for those things may or may not be satisfactory.
  • It is always wise to keep backups of your files, especially while development of ship designs is still in progress. Risk of errors is reduced a lot once that work is completed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Haxus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 pm

All platform client updates have been posted. As a nod to pizzasgood, the Mint update was posted first.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby pizzasgood » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:03 am

Thanks! I got some surveys done tonight, but I'm not liking the quick and dirty survey ship I've been using lately, so I think tomorrow I'm going to finally get off my butt and start trying out the new designer.
Adapt or die.
pizzasgood

Postby Deantwo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 am

Haxus wrote:NPC Standing Station Bug
Fixed body positioning error for NPCs manning integrated stations where the operator stands at the station. The body was placed with its CG at the literal floor location of the station, with half of it hanging down through the floor.

Sitting in a console on an old-style spacecraft I now end up halfway in the floor, chair and all.
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Zoyd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Is there going to be a preview option in the designer like the old one?
Where we can render it and do a walk through to see textures and animations?
I did not see it on the list of remaining work so is it coming or could it already be in?
I have been busy with my new job and haven't been working on ships lately...
Zoyd

Next

Return to Updates