2017-04-28 Friend Activation Code

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

Re: 2017-04-28 Friend Activation Code

Postby laser50 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am

Celarious wrote:
laser50 wrote:Sounds good, although it is probably not going to do much for anyone that isn't a direct friend of a player, I'm betting there is a lot of players both old (coming back to see how the game has progressed etc) and new (Wanting to try this amazing game) that would benefit from some sort of trial period, no-one is going to pay for a trial. It's like paying for a game demo.

Actually, we're considering making a place in the Hazeron Steam group where people throw their free activation codes, for anybody who might want one

But that's only a few select people.

When I played Hazeron it had a much larger playerbase compared to now, I mean of course it has lowered throughout the time because of game breaking bugs, still being in development, not to forget Syndicate being a huge asshat and ruining other player's fun by taking everything over (Yeah, me and a bunch of friends did stop playing because of that) and just being general fucks. Then there's the loss of interest and whatnot.

But there's about 5 to 20 people on at all times, that isn't much. I could boot up a MC server right now and get to that amount. Not bashing anything/anyone, just saying that is is not much for an 'MMO' of this scale.

I get that Haxus needs money and all, servers aren't cheap and it is a pretty large game. But I doubt 30-ish servers can be upheld with this amount of players. Or at least not for long.
It's fun that there are friend activation codes, it's fun they are being given away but that would be a very select few that receive them and it is only 14 days.
I'd say 5 dollars a month to be a fair price for a game in its current state, with a 30 day free trial to kick it off, allowing players to build a bit of their empire and if they like the game they can continue for a fair price, for a great game in its current condition.

I doubt my words will have any effect, since that is just the way things always work.. But this game has a lot of potential and It is being wasted with the current way things are going, we could be so much further in terms of playercount right now. (And don't forget, that also means money.)
laser50

Postby Celarious » Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 am

laser50 wrote:
Celarious wrote:
laser50 wrote:Sounds good, although it is probably not going to do much for anyone that isn't a direct friend of a player, I'm betting there is a lot of players both old (coming back to see how the game has progressed etc) and new (Wanting to try this amazing game) that would benefit from some sort of trial period, no-one is going to pay for a trial. It's like paying for a game demo.

Actually, we're considering making a place in the Hazeron Steam group where people throw their free activation codes, for anybody who might want one

But that's only a few select people.

When I played Hazeron it had a much larger playerbase compared to now, I mean of course it has lowered throughout the time because of game breaking bugs, still being in development, not to forget Syndicate being a huge asshat and ruining other player's fun by taking everything over (Yeah, me and a bunch of friends did stop playing because of that) and just being general fucks. Then there's the loss of interest and whatnot.

But there's about 5 to 20 people on at all times, that isn't much. I could boot up a MC server right now and get to that amount. Not bashing anything/anyone, just saying that is is not much for an 'MMO' of this scale.

I get that Haxus needs money and all, servers aren't cheap and it is a pretty large game. But I doubt 30-ish servers can be upheld with this amount of players. Or at least not for long.
It's fun that there are friend activation codes, it's fun they are being given away but that would be a very select few that receive them and it is only 14 days.
I'd say 5 dollars a month to be a fair price for a game in its current state, with a 30 day free trial to kick it off, allowing players to build a bit of their empire and if they like the game they can continue for a fair price, for a great game in its current condition.

I doubt my words will have any effect, since that is just the way things always work.. But this game has a lot of potential and It is being wasted with the current way things are going, we could be so much further in terms of playercount right now. (And don't forget, that also means money.)

We've already talked about this. A 30 day free trial is not possible.

There would be too many advantages at no cost to the player. You could make infinite free trial alts.

"A very select few".

Are you assuming that players refuse to look at any source of communication outside of the main website? Reddit, Steam and Discord are all public places where we could dump keys. If that is a "very select few", then not very many people are visiting the game and having a 30 day free trial wouldn't help.

Also, please provide evidence stating that "only a very select few" will manage to obtain the many free keys available. Or are you saying the game is failing based off an assumption you've made about how new visitors will not be able to find such keys?
Celarious

Postby laser50 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am

Okay then tell me where the playercount has gone from lets say a year ago?

I can see a whole 7 players online, that has been 7 for the past 2 hours. It isn't a lot for an MMO, nor for a MP game, hell not even for a private server. this "very select few" are the ones that know of Hazeron's existence, know where the keys may be posted and even then with 7 players you're only gonna get about 14 activation codes in one go, that lasts for 2 weeks and then there is nothing. if it wasn't for a very small game having a discussion about it I would have never found it.

Now look back at that player count, it is still not rising, just falling.
It went from 40-50 players online to 7, I have never seen more than 12 people online since I've checked off and on ever since the game required payment to play.

Why is 30 days impossible? It is not impossible it is just that nobody is willing to see how feasible it is. And what advantages? Its a trial why not impose some trial limits on a free trial.
laser50

Postby Celarious » Wed May 10, 2017 8:43 am

laser50 wrote:Okay then tell me where the playercount has gone from lets say a year ago?

I can see a whole 7 players online, that has been 7 for the past 2 hours. It isn't a lot for an MMO, nor for a MP game, hell not even for a private server. this "very select few" are the ones that know of Hazeron's existence, know where the keys may be posted and even then with 7 players you're only gonna get about 14 activation codes in one go, that lasts for 2 weeks and then there is nothing. if it wasn't for a very small game having a discussion about it I would have never found it.

Now look back at that player count, it is still not rising, just falling.
It went from 40-50 players online to 7, I have never seen more than 12 people online since I've checked off and on ever since the game required payment to play.

Why is 30 days impossible? It is not impossible it is just that nobody is willing to see how feasible it is. And what advantages? Its a trial why not impose some trial limits on a free trial.

Of course. The game becoming P2P lowered the playerbase.

However, in terms of friend activation, let's say those select few manage to get a key. They like the game. They pay for a sub, they get a key. They give a key to more people. It spreads infinitely. You can't base the "the friend activation system is not working" off the 2 days it has been online. Give it at least a month.

"Feasible".

You have no idea how feasible it is, how Haxus' servers work, or how much they cost. If you do know how feasible it is, please explain.

For all we know, 10 extra players playing for free at 30 days could cause the game to shut down due to the server costs reaching too high to afford. The same issue would apply to the friend activation system, assuming nobody ever paid for a sub after the 15 day trial. Or none of that could be an issue, we don't know.

And this is not an MMO. It's a "A Multi Player Science Fiction Game Set In An Infinite Procedurally Generated Universe".

A multiplayer game.

Just because there's not millions of players like other games doesn't mean it's dead. So long as the servers are able to be maintained and the game doesn't actually die, that's fine.

Ikkir also mentioned that the game being posted on the Steam platform will significantly help. At least to bring people, and notify them of the game. Compared to the no advertising the game has now
Celarious

Postby laser50 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:58 am

It shouldn't matter how his server works or how much it costs, why can 90% of all subscription-based games manage a free trial and this game can not?

Eh well why do I bother, it's not my loss lol.
laser50

Postby Celarious » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am

laser50 wrote:It shouldn't matter how his server works or how much it costs, why can 90% of all subscription-based games manage a free trial and this game can not?

Eh well why do I bother, it's not my loss lol.

Because this is not like any other game. You should know this by now.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be attempts to increase the playercount, but it's figuring out how to do it without destroying everything like when the game last shut down.

As many other people suggested, making Primeval Mode more of a trial could be a better way of doing it
Celarious

Postby Deantwo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 am

laser50 wrote:It shouldn't matter how his server works or how much it costs, why can 90% of all subscription-based games manage a free trial and this game can not?

This has been discussed to dead and back multiple times.
See: (Idea thread) Better business plan, +income +players

In short, Hazeron currently has no character progression that can't just be handed over to a new account without any loss. There is no actual reason to keep a specific account or avatar, you can just join your empire with a new avatar on another account and you would never notice a difference.
Name one game with a 30 day free trial that works like that.

In a few years or so when Haxus actually has all that done and we have meaningful character progression which will make a free trial feasible.
AnrDaemon is the solution to the [s]Fermi Paradox[/s] Hazeron suggestion flood problem, the great suggestion filter.
Deantwo

Postby Trusin » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Deantwo wrote:In a few years or so

Oh, you are quite the optimist.
Trusin

Postby cami » Sat May 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just saw this now and I wanted to express my happiness and gratitude for this feature making it into the game. Awesome Haxus, bunch of thanks! :-)
Yesterday, we were still on the brink. Fortunately, today we have got one step further.
Aurora (QXAX), The Rising Sun. Alpha Librae (ZSMUC), Transcendence Singularity.
Kerberos (WOBECW), Rising Sun Outlaws (Recruits). Nemesis (TYDBDX), The Cartel.
cami

Postby Ivan » Sun May 28, 2017 5:01 am

jakbruce2012 wrote:This is amazing, and I hope it will bring new blood to the game, might I suggest those wanting to invite a friend teach them the spacecraft design process first though, otherwise it may take 15 days just for that. Also since the studio is available f2p offline.

This shows there's something utterly wrong with the new designer in my opinion. And if anything prevents Hazeron from being a success on Steam, it will be that. I think even with just the old designer, the game would do better on Steam.

It should not take 15 days to learn how to design ships in any game. In other space games with ship designing, it takes between 5 minutes and max 1 hour to figure out how the designer works. (KSP, Space Engineers, Empyrion, Spore GE, all 4x games with ship design, even old Hazeron designer, which which took the longest out of all to figure out)

cami wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just saw this now and I wanted to express my happiness and gratitude for this feature making it into the game. Awesome Haxus, bunch of thanks! :-)

Don't worry about that in Hazeron nobody cares about "necroing", I think. (Never understood why anyone does) If it's relevant to subject, it's relevant even 5 years later. Double posts are and I got complaints about that if I don't use search function. :p

Was checking this thread because I wanted to give codes to friends.
Ivan

PreviousNext

Return to Updates