2017-04-27 Sync, Space Rockets, Autoparking

Details about updates to Shores of Hazeron

2017-04-27 Sync, Space Rockets, Autoparking

Postby Haxus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Server and Client Sync Error
A deadly desync sometimes occurs between the client and the server. In my case, once in a while, I was getting plunged to the bottom of the sea as soon as my fighter departed the launching vessel. I think this is fixed. We'll see.

In the process of fixing this, I found an error that could have caused jittery movement and rubber banding, as reported by some players. That too was fixed.

Space Rocket Parking
Space rockets can now be parked in rocket parking spots and space vehicle parking spots. They prefer rocket parking spots since nothing else can park there. They are oriented sideways in space vehicle spots, as if on a stand or rack or suspended from the ceiling.

This means a space vehicle recovery system can land a space rocket onto a ship that only has space vehicle parking spots. Maneuver the rocket onto the runway and hold it there for a few seconds.

Space Rocket Dart Gun
Spacecraft vehicle launch systems can now launch space rockets.

Vehicle Autoparking
Vehicle automatic parking has worked off and on for a long time, not very well. It had various problems. I think it is finally fixed for good, including rockets in either kind of parking spot. To autopark a vehicle, stop it in an appropriate vehicle parking spot, turn off the engine and get out. It should immediately start sliding/rotating into its spot.

First vs Second Class Accommodations
Passenger berths on new style ships are now classified as first class if the ship has a room with Bar access; this insures passengers have food and liquor for their first class travel. Berths are classified as second class if the ship has a room with Pantry access, providing the passengers food and water. Third class passenger berths require passengers to bring those things for themselves. I think this only affects the price you get paid for unloading passengers.

The Oiling Spaceport Never Decays
A spaceport existed for months unattended and it still had full fuel cells. Some investigation revealed it was not consuming fuel at all. That is fixed. It could affect other spacecraft. They will consume fuel normally now.

Launch and Recovery System Render Errors
Fixed various little render errors in the launch and recovery system effects, mostly render order errors. The sprites don't overlap each other incorrectly any more and the runway numbers clip the center line so you can read them when landing.
Haxus
Site Admin

Re: 2017-04-27 Sync, Space Rockets, Autoparking

Postby Celarious » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Lots of fixes! Awesome!
Celarious

Postby Haxus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

I forgot to mention a server crash that was fixed. The bug doesn't happen frequently; it struck down the odd server here and there for the past week. I updated/restarted them as they crashed.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Once its applied I can test out the vehicle desync pretty quickly and let you know if its fixed (or at least for my system)

Edit: looks good to me.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Turkey Sandvich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:39 pm

You forgot about pepperoni spaceport! There were 2 active spaceports in that system. Ah well, the legacy of The Oiling shall live forever.
Turkey Sandvich

Postby ResonKinetic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 pm

this dude just deleted lag 😂🔫
NUMBERZero wrote:You would expect Syndicate to have anything less than TL32?

Ross: "I just wonder what Haxus' philosophy on open-source code is."
Ikkir: "I'm pretty sure his philosophy is 'get fucked.'"
ResonKinetic

Postby Haxus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm

After finally getting a chance to do some testing on the real servers, the client/server sync bug is definitely not fixed. If anything, it is much worse. It worked so well on the debug servers.

Fixing this is my highest priority. I apologize ahead of time for those who will likely crash and burn over the weekend as a result.

Best advice is to let the NPCs do the piloting. They are not susceptible to the bug.
Haxus
Site Admin

Postby Ikkir Isth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Haxus wrote:After finally getting a chance to do some testing on the real servers, the client/server sync bug is definitely not fixed. If anything, it is much worse. It worked so well on the debug servers.

Fixing this is my highest priority. I apologize ahead of time for those who will likely crash and burn over the weekend as a result.

Best advice is to let the NPCs do the piloting. They are not susceptible to the bug.

Odd, It appeared fixed when I was able to fly a space fighter from one planet to another in my dual-star system.
Making things with OpenGL: Image
Working on- an exploration game.
@Ikkir_Isth
Ikkir Isth

Postby Deantwo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:06 am

Haxus wrote:Space Rocket Dart Gun
Spacecraft vehicle launch systems can now launch space rockets.

Yay, now we just need to be able to strap explosives onto the space rockets and we can use them as manned missiles!

Haxus wrote:The Oiling Spaceport Never Decays
A spaceport existed for months unattended and it still had full fuel cells. Some investigation revealed it was not consuming fuel at all. That is fixed. It could affect other spacecraft. They will consume fuel normally now.

I seem to be detecting a lot more spacecraft and stations on the star map now, so I guess this also fixed generation of emissions.

Like the last 3 system emissions I investigated was just a station or spacecraft, no cities at all. Some of these stations also seem very old, since they have "Spaceport" in their name.
See: (Bug report) Station Default Name
I invalidate your reality and wait for it to be refreshed.
Deantwo

Postby Haxus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 am

Emissions were affected by the bug.

The name spaceport suggests it was launched by a city, probably decayed and gone now.
Haxus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Updates